Proximal right femur stress fracture (Read 33 times)

JoyceH

Hello,

Anyone have experience in getting through a stress fracture of the hip? Mine is just below the femoral neck. Exact MRI result: an incomplete fracture is present at the proximal right femur deep to the lesser trochanter.

I had been training for my first full Ironman starting back in Dec 2014 after recovering from a strained hip flexor (left hip). So at the end of May when my right hip/groin started to have pain while running I thought it was just another strain. I thought I could train through it but that was the worst decision. On June 21 I tried to finish the Mont Tremblant 70.3 (half ironman). I had a good swim and bike but had to drop out after a mile of the run. I was limping after 5 minutes into the run and ended up not being able to even walk for a few hours. I had an MRI a little over a week after the 70.3. I'm now on crutches for probably at least 6 weeks.

I've run 4 marathons in the past with higher mileage and never a stress fracture. I even won a half marathon at the end of  this April. I have a cycling background as well. I do lots of core work and some prehab work. I take calcium supplements, Vit  D and Iron as well as other vitamins. I thought I was doing all the right things. But I am a 45 yr old woman. Maybe my age is catching up to me :-(

It is very painful to try and walk right now, so the crutches seem like the smart option. I'd like to try open water swimming with a pull buoy but not sure if that will slow down the recovery process.

Has anyone had a similar experience? How long did it take you to get back to your training?

Thanks,

Joyce in Vermont