Recent Short Distance Times (Read 881 times)

Just Be

Well, since my return to running I've been holding off with pushing myself to near 100% effort levels at the track in the interest of avoiding injury. Recently, though, the beast got the best of me and I pushed hard just to see what numbers I'd produce. It's hard to say if it was 100% ... both times that I ran hard I also jogged several miles to get to the track so I don't think I gave any of the efforts 100% (I told myself to hold back knowing that I had to jog back home - but again, the beast) but it probably was close. And to the times... my 100m was 12.58. Slower than I'd like but I can live with it for now. I really want to take that time below 11 seconds by the end of the fall, if I can. I felt like I had the first 60m to 75m 'in the bag' but after that I just couldn't keep up the leg turnover and it felt like my pace slowed considerably. 200m time was 28.75 seconds. I know I can knock at least 2 more seconds off of that relatively easily this year. Similar to the 100m performance, I fatigued after the first 75m and then again at about 110m (best guess) and then yet again at about 150m. For the last 50m I felt as if I was running in a gel or something... my legs weren't sore or burning but they just wouldn't move fast at all anymore. I was surprised to see that I broke 30 seconds. In retrospect, I know I went out too fast but I just suck at pacing myself now, I guess. Hopefully that will get better with more efforts. 400m came in at 1:09.98. I tried to pace myself evenly at what felt like a 4 min/1600m pace so that I could have a shot at a sub 60, but it didn't work this time. Sad Felt good for the first 200m - no burning muscles or signs of excessive fatigue. At right around the 200m mark I noticed that I was beginning to gasp for air but it was still managable. Around 300m my legs were burning and felt heavy - I had to slow down. I'm wondering what the more experienced runners here think I can expect for this years summer speed season as I am beginning to slowly wax myself into the higher intensity workloads, hoping by May to be doing full, quality interval sessions at 100% effort with no mid-race slowdown. From what I remember in the past, my body adjusted to being able to run a complete 200m effort at 100% in about 1 month. I'm hoping that this is an accurate memory and, if so, that it is still the case. Smile Look forward to your replies!
    RunNow

Dude. I think your times are too fast for anyone here to comment on. From the deafening silence, I would guess there aren't too many here that can give advice to someone shooting for a sub 11 100m. (Either that or they're jealous.... See the "5k" thread.) Good luck, tho!

Just Be

*bump* Any opinions? Question in summary: I'm wondering what the more experienced runners here think I can expect for this years summer speed season...
        Tyler S

Well I'm not sure how many miles you run, but adding a few can only help your times by building more overall stamina. For instance, my friend last year was only doing the "sprint" drills/workouts during the track season and his personal best last year was 62 seconds. This year he has reduced that to 56, I would certainly assume it is because he is doing more miles as well as the "distance" team's workouts. We typically do interval workouts of 200-800 meters totaling about 2 miles of distance. Like 8x400 at 70-80 second pace, after each we do a 400 recovery jog. Hope that helps and good luck. sorry this only applies to the 400 Tongue
          allout88

Do longer sprint workouts. 500's 600's. 5,4,3,2,1 all out is a great one. I went from running like 58 to 52 (relay splits) in high school doing workouts like that training for the 800.

Just Be

Thanks for the advice, guys. It helps a lot! Smile It seems to me that the 400 is probably about 65% anaerobic and 35% aerobic, so I completely agree with the value that a good aerobic base will have in terms of total performance.
                Thanks for the advice, guys. It helps a lot! Smile It seems to me that the 400 is probably about 65% anaerobic and 35% aerobic, so I completely agree with the value that a good aerobic base will have in terms of total performance.
                I think it's around 43% aerobic and 57% anaerobic. It varies between individuals a bit but it's around there. It is important to have a solid amount of aerobic work to complement the anaerobic training.