If a marathon is certified is its associated half-marathon certified? (Read 505 times)

I was wondering if USATF certifies the half-marathon courses that are half of the associated marathon courses (for example the out or back half of an out and back course)? You see a lot of "certified" marathon courses on the USATF list but the half marathon is not listed. Confused

Feeling the growl again

USATF certifies courses, not events. So just because the marathon course is certified does not mean the half marathon course is certified -- both courses must be taken through the proper process.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

A Saucy Wench

In many cases the shorter distance is not. USTAF charges for each course they certify, it isnt worth it to most to certify the shorter distances. MTA - but spaniel was quicker

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

If they don't provide a certification number, then it isn't certified.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks for the info guys (and gal)!
              I ran the 5 mile race at the Portland Marathon. I measured 5.1 with my Garmin. I went and measured it again with gmap-pedometer- measured 5.1 . Its not listed on the USATF certified course list either: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/search/ The Marathon is there, the 5 mile is not.