Water weight loss while running. (Read 535 times)

I weigh 225-230lbs. I have found while running for 45 min-hr with a temp in the68-72* I can easily loose 5-6 lbs on a run. Is this a safe amount? I don't like to hydrate unless I am going longer than an hour. Would a weight loss of 5-6lbs significantly hurt my performance on the runs?

Giant Flaming Dork

It shouldn't be an issue. I lose about the same amount in a 1 hour run and I'm @ 190lbs. I don't think it will affect your training runs at all. Doing that in a race might change the result by a few percentage points, but nothing really significant. Anything under 1 hour should be fine without water. If you're concerned, then drink a few ounces before you go out.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Don't guzzle a lot of water as soon as you finish your run, either; drink a few cups w/sips so that your body has a better chance to absorb it.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Five pounds is about 2% of your body weight which is getting close to the point where performance will be affected but it certainly isn't going to kill you to wait an extra 15 minutes to drink. Don't sweat the details (pun intended), just run. Tom