Can No longer Type the symbol for degrees (Read 1040 times)

BeeRunB

Hi Eric,

In order to write in a post, for example, 70 degrees (but with the symbol), I always just press my "option" key and the zero key on my Mac keyboard, and I get the symbol for degrees. Now, when I do that, a window pops up offering  "Accessibility Help." Not a huge deal, but I do wish I could still write the symbol for degrees in my posts.

Thanks for your time and energy.

--Jimmy

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm lazy and just type 42F or 17C.  Can't offer any help on the Mac keyboard thing.  (BTW, when I feel like it I can type 98.6°.  Linux.)

Try holding the ALT key and hit 2, 4, 8 on the number key pad.  That should give you the degree symbol.  It won't work if you use the numbers above the letters on the key board.

theyapper

On the road again...

°

Shift-Option-8

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

xor

Try holding the ALT key and hit 2, 4, 8 on the number key pad.  That should give you the degree symbol.  It won't work if you use the numbers above the letters on the key board.

Does this trick work on a mac?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does this trick work on a mac?

Let me try...248...nope

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Didn't think so.  That's a borgism.  (not to be confused with a borgasm)

Imminent Catastrophe

°F °C °K °R

Option-shift-8. On a Mac, anyway. Yapper is correct. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Stop calling me names.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

° - hey, it works!  Thanks, Perfesser!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

BeeRunB

It works. A bit more labor intensive than option-zero (might have to consume a few extra calories a day) , but I guess it will have to do.

Thank you, Yapper! Cool

--Jimmy

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

On a PC, you can hold down the ALT key, and type 0176 on the number keypad to get it as well. It doesn't work with the numbers above the letters on the main keyboard, though (at least for me it doesn't).

xor

si, both alt 248 and alt 0176 give you a superscript o dealio.

alt 0248, however is something else.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The PC alt keycode sequences actually depend on which active codepage your computer uses, which depends on what locale (language) it is configured to work with.

If you want to get away from limitations of locale & dos & windows codepages, on  a PC system, according to the following wikipedia article, you can use + prefixed codes to enter unicode codepoints directly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Alt_keycodes

See under "<code>HKCU\Control Panel\Input Method\EnableHexNumpad"</code>

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.