Looking for Spectator Advice: Grandma's Marathon (Read 1265 times)

A Dance with Monkeys

Towns that put on marvelous marathons deserve better weather Karma.

I know, right?

Sigh.

I know, right?

Sigh.

That's terrible!

So far, the friends that I have heard from are doing OK.  

My thoughts out to everyone up North!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DoppleBock

Seeing someone 3 total places instead of 1 ~ I would not consider overly spectator friendly ~ Although I can say if you have kids in tow everything is harder. 

In case somebody stumbles upon this thread in future years I wanted to insert a post race followup.  The advice given by Gopher Snail was spot on.  My DW managed to see me at two spots during the race as well as the finish.  Race day, I took the train from the DECC to the start.  About the same time she drove to the Knife River viewing spot to see me around mile 5 along the course.  After I went by she then headed to McQuade Road for our next rendezvous at mile 14.  Once I past her there she drove back to Duluth, parked at the DECC ($5) and walked over to around the 25.5 mile mark where she met me one last time prior to the finish.  She did not have any difficulty getting to each spot in time to see me.

Some tips for spectators trying to get around race day: 

1. The spectator viewing spots are off of the side roads going from the 61 Expressway to Scenic Drive (also called North Shore Drive).  Spectators drive up and down 61, park along a side road and then walk to Scenic to view the racers.  At each spot, park close to the 61 Expressway exit.  Then walk down to Scenic Drive.  If you park near Scenic traffic can make it difficult to get back out to the expressway and off to the next meeting spot.   If you park near the expressway exit you can make a quick getaway. 
        2. You should also take Trent's advice and do a practice run the day before the race.   The exact location of each turnoff is not obvious and on race day spectators will want to find them quickly.  A practice run will also give you some idea about where to park and how far a walk it will be to the race course from there.
        3. Getting to the finish line will require some routing creativity.  The direct roads from the race course to the DECC are closed and traffic in the area gets jammed early on.  To make it to the finish in time you need to have in mind a route that heads inland from 61 and then goes past the DECC and doubles back to park there.  That will let you get around the closed roads and route around most of the traffic problems.

http://a-big-horse.blogspot.com/ 

2013 Goals ~ Mar < 3:00, 5M < 29, 10k < 35  

A Dance with Monkeys

Seeing someone 3 total places instead of 1 ~ I would not consider overly spectator friendly ~ Although I can say if you have kids in tow everything is harder. 

With a car and no kids, you can probably actually spectate 5-10 places along the way. But you'd have to be very familiar with the roads there.

But yeah, there are other, more spectator-friendly marathons.

Here is arguably the most specator friendly marathon possible, with regards to frequency of your runner passing your specating position (150 times) and they are never ever out of your sight.     www.zoomyahyah.com

I suppose a treadmill marathon would be even closer.  But if Spectator friendly means beautiful scenery and seeing your runner often, I can't think of much better than Grandmas.  Twin Cities is good too, great crowds and good scenery of the city lakes, Minnehaha Creek, the Mississippi. And you can probably see your runner more than a dozen times if you tried... or rode a bike along the bike paths that run parallel to much of the course. 

I'm glad my advice worked for you Twocat.

Sad about the floods in Duluth. 

DoppleBock

The zoo's seal was able to swim out of its exhibit and was found on nearby Grand Avenue, the newspaper reported.

The polar bear also got out but was quickly darted and is safe in quarantine, Johnson said. None of the zoo's dangerous animals got outside the zoo's perimeter fence, she added

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47889559/ns/weather/

DoppleBock

My 1st marathon was Journey's Eagle River - Beautiful area and race is only 100-150 people and roads are not closed ... you could drive ahead of your runner as many times a you wanted, pull off the road and cheer - Hell if you were lazy enough you would not even have to get out of your car.

My wife likes her sleep too much - So she saw me at the finish. 

Here is arguably the most specator friendly marathon possible, with regards to frequency of your runner passing your specating position (150 times) and they are never ever out of your sight.     www.zoomyahyah.com

I suppose a treadmill marathon would be even closer.  But if Spectator friendly means beautiful scenery and seeing your runner often, I can't think of much better than Grandmas.  Twin Cities is good too, great crowds and good scenery of the city lakes, Minnehaha Creek, the Mississippi. And you can probably see your runner more than a dozen times if you tried... or rode a bike along the bike paths that run parallel to much of the course. 

I'm glad my advice worked for you Twocat.

Sad about the floods in Duluth. 

HCH

I know, right?

Sigh.

Is that your house, Trent? Yikes. This latest weather event probably brings back some bad memories. I don't know what to say. So sorry.

- Holly

It's a bummer to hear what duluth is going through!!!!!  Good thing though is that it didn't happen a weekend sooner with the thousands of extra people in town.

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf