Pace group or not to pace group (Read 470 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I have never done a pace group before and have scheduled to do the 3:40 for Columbus. Does anyone have any thoughts on if pace groups are good or bad. I hear a lot of stories of where runners start in them and then leave them only to wish they had stayed with the group. However, I have to imagine that some people wish they had never done one. It will be really hard for me to hold back in the begining. I hate starting out slow. Thoughts, opinions?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      There have been a couple of discussions on this previously. Try searching the forums for "marathon pace group"
      mikeymike

Not to pace group. The best way to screw up a race is to adhere to closeley to a pre-determined pace plan, especially someone elses pace plan. Learn to race by feel.

Runners run

t_runner

I aimed for 3:40 at Columbus two years back (and got 3:40:06), and started off with the pace group. However, I was with them for only the first 1-2 miles before I realized they were going too fast for me, so I backed off. I agree about it being hard to hold back in the beginning, but I don't know, a pace group could even hurt that. If they start to pull away in the first few miles, because they are trying to "bank" time, it could make you worry about slipping off your goal so early, and run way too fast for what you need. I tried to run the first 3-4 miles totally off what I feel, until I slipped into that comfortable zone, and then I begin to plan out my pace adjustments. My splits were fairly even, my second half was maybe 1-2 minutes slower than the first half. I never saw the pace group after that first section, except a few stragglers that I passed towards the end, so I can't speak to how much ahead of 3:40 they actually finished.