Which side of the road would affect the left leg? (Read 585 times)

derek

I have been geting a pain on the outside of my left knee that may be ITBS. I have rested it a couple days and I also got new shoes yesterday. I did a 10-mile run today and at one point, I started to fell a very slight discomfort. I swithed sides of the road and it seemed to feel fine after that. The discomfort was so slight I'm thinking that maybe I just imagined it or I was a bit tired at that point. I don't want to influence any responses so can someone tell me which camber would typically cause the outside knee on the left leg to hurt. Is it when the left leg is lower than the right, or higher?

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know that when I was having right hip flexor issues that running on the left side made it worse, since it forced my leg to be bent more (as the road sloped down to the left). Not sure how that would translate for knee issues, though. I did try to avoid running on cambered roads and that seemed to help. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

That's a fascinating physics/physiology question. I can think of ways in which either side of the road could cause that problem (throw the word "compensation" in there and you can explain anything). But, since Zoom is smart, I agree with her... Left leg knee will hurt when left side is higher (probably running on the right side of the road). (But if you were compensating for the camber of the road... heheh)
        Wingz

Professional Noob

The one time I got ITBS it was from running on the right side... I think... Confused Sorry can't be of more help here!

Roads were made for journeys...

derek

That's a fascinating physics/physiology question. I can think of ways in which either side of the road could cause that problem (throw the word "compensation" in there and you can explain anything). But, since Zoom is smart, I agree with her... Left leg knee will hurt when left side is higher (probably running on the right side of the road). (But if you were compensating for the camber of the road... heheh)
            That's what happened to me. I felt the pain when the left leg was higher. I guess I was expecting it to be the other way around, that is, the left knee would hurt when that leg was lower as you would tend to lean and put more weight on it. Maybe I wasn't imagining the pain. Well, I'll watch out for the camber from now. I almost wish that was definitely the cause of the pain I was having last week as I can now work around it.

Derek

vicentefrijole

I guess I was expecting it to be the other way around... Well, I'll watch out for the camber from now. I almost wish that was definitely the cause of the pain I was having last week as I can now work around it.
              Lucky guess.. I can think of reasoning for both sides, but for some reason that just seemed right (I've done a little running on dirt/gravel roads with similar problems... not injury but a little discomfort after awhile). I agree.. if this is the cause of your pain then it is an easy fix. Be careful just switching to the other side as you may end up with irritated ITBs on both sides. Is it possible to run in the middle of the road (toward oncoming traffic so you can see it and move out of the way) or is there too much traffic? Maybe there's a golf-course near you where you can do some nice trail-running until this has cleared up a bit? good luck. Smile
              JakeKnight

That's what happened to me. I felt the pain when the left leg was higher. I guess I was expecting it to be the other way around, that is, the left knee would hurt when that leg was lower as you would tend to lean and put more weight on it.
                The only time I've ever had any kind of single leg pain, that's exactly what it was: running a long, steep hilly course with a sharp camber to the left, with my left leg lower. Go figure.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

The one time I got ITBS it was from running on the right side... I think... Confused Sorry can't be of more help here!
                  Oh... and that problem was with the right leg. Blush Sorry - not much help w/o that bit of info!

Roads were made for journeys...