Bad runs STINK! (Read 736 times)

I just need to vent...I know they happen to everyone. I guess the last couple weeks of really good runs had to catch up with me sometime, but it's still depressing as hell when your ambition exceeds what your body wants to do.
    Yes, bad days happen but that doesn't mean we have to like it. We do get over it however and sweep it under the rug. Your heart and enthusiasm are in the right place. You'll bouce back. You made the smartest decision by just trashing the run. Trying to make something out of nothing often leads to injury. You changed pace, mental state, and nothing helped. Write it off and look forward to the next one.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Oh Mighty Wing

You don't know what a good run is untill you've had a bad one!! And I wouldn't say it was the good days catching up with you I would blame it on the darn'd treadmill!!!! (at least that's what I do!)
        I had a crappy run today, and it was also my longest run to date (7.5 miles). It was supposed to be an 8 miler, but towards the end of the run my body just wouldn't go any more. The last half-mile or so was a really slow shuffle, I didn't even feel like I was running. Ah well, it happens sometimes I guess. Undecided
          I had one last week too - I set out for a 7-miler. It was a new route that I mapped out on mapmyrun first. It took me down by the beach (which was very busy that day), and all along the ocean and 2 lakes. I knew the scenerywould be great and people watching would be pretty good, but by mile 2 I knew it was gonna be a struggle. I purposely kept going farther and farther because I knew I would still have to run that distance back home. I finally made a deal with myself to conclude it at 6.15, but man did I have a mental struggle for a good hour. I dont think Ive ever had to talk to myself and psych myself up that much. I'm really starting to hate the long run day..... Maybe I was PMSing too - that always makes me want to quit
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I " Heart" Trent........ Big grin
            Awww, shucks Wink Don't swell up this monkey's head Blush
              dang..I can talk myself out of a run on the TM easy. I would much rather be outside. But, I've had bad runs outside, too. Saturday, in fact--my last LR before Carlsbad. It was bad and I knew it would be, because I had not been able to run on my scheduled days last week, and forced in the last run on Friday--just to get the mileage in. Bonked my 8 miler. Ahh well......
              Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

Beatin' on the Rock

You don't know what a good run is untill you've had a bad one!!
                So,...when will I know what a bad run is? Wink The cold from hell last week had me putting my long run off til Saturday; so yesterday's mid-run was TOUGH. I felt like a wuss, all tight and owie, and leaden legs. Bad run, indeed. I'm taking a longer break before this week's long run Thursday. Hopefully that's enough to refresh. I can't believe I"M gong to run 8 MILES! Pretty big stuff for a squishy old lady!
                Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                BaldMike

I know this is sort of wierd, but I learn more from my bad runs than I do my good ones. I am 6 weeks into a marathon training program and I have had one bad run per week. The first bad run was a tempo run that after my 1.5 mile warm up, I increased my pace to a level I had never been before and tried to stay there. I tried like heck to hang on, but burned out after 3 miles of it, never finishing the workout. I have not had a bad tempo run since because I learned my mistake of taking the pace to fast. 2 weeks ago, did a long run of 15 miles, same thing, too fast of a pace in the beginning, had me worn slap out after 13 miles. Anyway, I have things that have caused other bad runs too, but it goes to long. The point for me, is that I am making notes in my personal log I keep in excel and I am trying to learn from these mistakes or problems out of my control. I have learned that eatting to much the night before for dinner, leaves me very sluggish for a long run. There is a fine line between carb loading with beer the night before a run and "over-carbing" if you will. Big grin Heat and Humidity are HUGE in my times and effort it takes to keep pace on runs. Keep logs of weathe, food, etc and that way you can figure out what might be causing a bad run. Don't forget we are just past the holidays too and the hustle bustle might be just now catching up and sinking in.
                  PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.
                    I'm happy that everyone has a horrible run. Big grin I've been struggling to get back into shape after a much to long break. I planned a 3 miler today on the TM and only managed 1.5. I think that the road work is much better.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

finney

Resident pinniped

Thanks for letting me rant and rave guys. This isn't the first bad run I've had, and I know it won't be the last. Normally I do OK on the TM - which trust me, is reserved for very special circumstances because it's so *&%& boring - so I honestly don't think it was that, as much as I'd like to say it was. It was just one of those days. But, today is a new day, so we'll see what happens. And, it's nicer OUTSIDE today too! Big grin
                        Adopt a different attitude, you ran 2 miles yesterday! Better than 90% of the population I would wager.