WHY do long, slow runs help improve pace? (Read 582 times)

To run 24 hours, the biggest thing you have to worry about, nutrition-wise, is how to effectively take in the calories you will need on the run. This is something you will need to practice, either in training runs, or, better, in say 6- or 12-hour races.

Yes, it's also important to maximize your ability to burn fat and to store glycogen (and to start your ultra carb loaded – so many ultra runners seem to ignore this), but none of that will matter if you can't get the calories in without puking after 6, 8, 14, hours. You'll be done.

-- And indeed, isn't it amazing how hard something as simple as eating can be.  But yet after you have run for hours, eating is indeed very hard.   I finished that 30K on Saturday and could only get half a doughnut in.  Took me forever to eat just half and I threw the rest away.  The problem for me personally was not stomaching it, I have never had any kind of issue there.  My issue is that I get so fatigued, just chewing and swallowing the food is hard!

-- But I do have a good plan (I think..) for my 24-hour race in April to make absolutely certain that I get in enough food + calories.  No matter what my pace ends up being, I absolutely don't want to have to quit before 24-hours because I neglected intake.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

bhearn

This is totally off subject, but I checked out your log and it is the most colorful log I have ever seen.

Ha. I switched from Pfitzinger to Hansons, and wanted to keep the nominally subtly distinct workout types separate, so yeah, I have different colors for general aerobic, recovery, VO2Max, LT, MP, carb load, long, medium long, race, hill, easy, speed, strength, and tempo.

A Saucy Wench

This is totally off subject, but I checked out your log and it is the most colorful log I have ever seen.

Maybe he is matching it to the new fashion in shoes.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ha. I switched from Pfitzinger to Hansons, and wanted to keep the nominally subtly distinct workout types separate, so yeah, I have different colors for general aerobic, recovery, VO2Max, LT, MP, carb load, long, medium long, race, hill, easy, speed, strength, and tempo.

--- All you need to add now is "The Best I could" (like ennay:-)  or what someone else has on theirs, "Screwed the pooch", and you will be all set.  ---Everyone has some "Best I could" or "Screwed the pooch" days every now and again, don't they?...  Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

-- And indeed, isn't it amazing how hard something as simple as eating can be.  But yet after you have run for hours, eating is indeed very hard.   I finished that 30K on Saturday and could only get half a doughnut in.  Took me forever to eat just half and I threw the rest away.  The problem for me personally was not stomaching it, I have never had any kind of issue there.  My issue is that I get so fatigued, just chewing and swallowing the food is hard!

Then you know to use something that doesn't need chewing if you run 30k at that intensity.

If you're doing longer races, it will be lower intensity, and things may be easier to get down for awhile. And it's usually a good idea to have multiple approaches in longer races so if one thing doesn't work, maybe something else will.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            Blaf

All good points. Thank you guys.

I run my midweek long runs by myself and without stopping, so it is not that bad altogether. But kencamet got me thinking, I am training myself to need to take a break every 3-4 miles...

Runner since 2012

Marathon PB: 3:40:32

A Saucy Wench

--- All you need to add now is "The Best I could" (like ennay:-)  or what someone else has on theirs, "Screwed the pooch", and you will be all set.  ---Everyone has some "Best I could" or "Screwed the pooch" days every now and again, don't they?...  Smile

heh.  TheBestICould used to be named something else less safe for work.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Queen of 3rd Place

-- And indeed, isn't it amazing how hard something as simple as eating can be.  But yet after you have run for hours, eating is indeed very hard.  

Not sure if this is a blessing or curse, I swear I can eat so much in 50 miles that I actually gain weight. Joking Yeah, bring on the doughnuts, ice cream, goldfish, brownies, chicken-noodle soup, potato chips, nuts, Coca-Cola with real sugar as God intended, etc. etc. NOM NOM NOM!

Ex runner

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Buzzie- Have you tried Vitargo?  If so how did it compare to UCAN?

I have not. I'm sticking with UCAN to maintain my keto adaptations.

I have read about it ... the promptly forgot everything when I decided it wasn't for me.

Liz

pace sera, sera

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I have not. I'm sticking with UCAN to maintain my keto adaptations.

I have read about it ... the promptly forgot everything when I decided it wasn't for me.

k.  Thanks.

steph  

Walk-Jogger

Not sure if this is a blessing or curse, I swear I can eat so much in 50 miles that I actually gain weight. Joking Yeah, bring on the doughnuts, ice cream, goldfish, brownies, chicken-noodle soup, potato chips, nuts, Coca-Cola Dr. Pepper with real sugar as God intended, etc. etc. NOM NOM NOM!

Fixed yer post for you. Big grin

Retired &  Loving It