2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

xor

It wasn't 2007.  It might have been 2005.  I pulled it off the maniac list where the boys listed it as 2006.

SMART Approach

It was 70 at the start and 80-85 when they pulled the plug.  Which describes the weather at at least 50 marathons+ultras I've run.

There is mixed information floating around re: whether the EMT resources really were all engaged or if they thought that might happen and chose to cancel before things got out of control.

I think a big issue was the higher volume of half marathoners. Marathoners generally are more well trained and more likely to be in tune with their bodies and have more ability to adapt to a stress such as heat and recover from it a bit by slowing down and hydrating. There are many half marathoners probably undertrained and not in tune with their bodies, pacing etc that blew their wad and just went to far beyond their recovery abilities. There was a lady at mile one that required medical help because of an abdominal cramp. Her reaction resulted in medical care. It turns out she was starting her period. Arrrgghh!  There is a pain tolerance that trained runners have to fight through. This was ridiculous.

There were many of these folks being treated which may have ruined it for the marathoners. Some were certainly more serious which I witnessed near the finish of the half. Going into the race, marathoners had an option to do half and get a time. I think if this were September when everyone is more adapted to the heat, it would not have been cancelled. The Green Bay Fire Dept chief said things were hectic as far and ambulances, ER visits etc. He said this was the point to cancel it before it gets uncontrollable. I have no issue with the decision but perhaps the communication. I also don't like the fact they fenced off the course with 1/4 mile left after they called it. There was absolutely no where for runners to go who were within a mile or two of the finish.  The race officials later said this was a poor decision. The ladies 2nd place finisher was one of those barricaded out. She ultimately got through.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

SMART Approach

Green Bay - I am confused why they list any runner after a 2:35 finish as the course was closed - Basically there are is women's winner and no cash should be paid out.  I know of at least 1 lady that would have run sub 3 that was pulled from course and yet there is a 3:24 listed as 5th place. 

Men's 5th @ 2:36 should also be eliminated.  Sean Ryan just needs to be consistent in his application of the rule.

There are a few things that I though were less than right out there.  The 1/2 couse had a 200 foot jaunt down a street and then 180 degreed back to get mileage right @ mile 12-12.5 ... I really think he could have planned that better. 

Yes, I heard about faster ladies not being able to finish. Kind of strange how they listed times after it was called. As far as that little 200m jaunt away from direction of finish and then back, WELL I hate it. It has been like that for years. The previous years I think it was a little longer. It is a little thing but I just hate it. I am sure they need to do this to certify course but it doesn't look good.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Well, I'm up this weekend in Ottawa. I missed my long-ish run I wanted to do this weekend because I spent all my time working on various cars, I had a disappointing 10K PB (?) a few weeks ago and a so-so cross country race a week ago last friday.

I don't know if I'm ready or not, never having done this or not. Friday I did 7km at race pace and it seemed pretty easy. Good sign, I think. I'm definitely sticking with my plan of going out at ~2:55 pace (4:09/km) and trying to be as consistent with splits as possible. My big problem is going to be, and always is, going out too fast. I've been 30 sec ahead of my planned pace for a half after 2km on a similar course, reigning in the adrenaline is going to be the big test, I think. To go with having a different sports drink, the spectre of more heat than I'm used to (different area of the country, Ottawa is normally hotter than here in late May)

Wish me luck!

jjameson

SUCCESS at Bayshore Marathon, Traverse City, MI  2:58:55

Wasn't sure I was even going to go for it until the start.  Ideal conditions:  55-60 degrees, no wind, overcast, flat course.  Drafted off several groups for the first half which and kept an average 6:42 pace until mile 17, then started to slow a little.  Real struggle the last five miles with several miles at 7:00 to 7:10.

First half around 1:28, second half around 1:31.

Joe

Failure (ish)

3:00:15

Good weather, paced exactly as planned - half in 1:27:24 (going for  2:55 pace), slowed and just had nothing like coming to the finish line. I need more mileage.

I'm actually quite happy with the race.

Leopard

I wasn't in shape to run a sub-3 at Edinburgh anyway, and thought I could pull out a 3:10, but it was hot for Britain. I was on pace for that until 32km, and then my quads gave up and I took 55 minutes to run the last 10km, mostly due to excessive walking. Now I can't walk. I guess I need to do a little more endurance training before Berlin at the end of September.

PR's 5K: 18:37, 10K: 39:51, 15K: 58:18, Half Marathon: 1:25:51 Marathon 3:19:15

2017 Goal: getting fit and lean again, before it's too late!

Wasn't sure I was even going to go for it until the start.  Ideal conditions:  55-60 degrees, no wind, overcast, flat course.  Drafted off several groups for the first half which and kept an average 6:42 pace until mile 17, then started to slow a little.  Real struggle the last five miles with several miles at 7:00 to 7:10.

Joe

Congrats, well done!

Failure (ish)

3:00:15

Good weather, paced exactly as planned - half in 1:27:24 (going for  2:55 pace), slowed and just had nothing like coming to the finish line. I need more mileage.

I'm actually quite happy with the race.

Oh man, that was awfully close. Still a very good time though, and I'm sure you will nail it next time!

Sorry it went poorly for you.  The bad thing is that when the body starts shutting down, the brain gets stupid at the same time.  Good luck at Sugarloaf!

Sugarloaf 3:11:18 - PR by exactly 10 seconds.

Much better than my DNF at Boston.  The conditions were good for 90 minutes or so then they heated up considerably, by the time I finished it was 75 degrees about an hour of pretty challenging conditions, the hotest Sugarloaf on record.  For 4 hour runners it was 85 degrees.

I never was close to a 3 hour pace in this one.  I had an inappropriately large breakfast, and had a stomach cramp for the whole race.   Ironically this probably helped, because I was more conservative and went through the 1/2 in about 93-94.

I slowed in the last 6, but less than at any other Marathon, losing about 4 minutes.

I'm still way better at every other race distance than Marathon.  3:11 equates to about a 33:00 5 Mile race, I ran a 30:05 the week before Sugarloaf.

A PR, on a tough day, four weeks after dropping from Boston,  and a solid Boston Qualifier by 14 minutes, I'll take it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sugarloaf 3:11:18 - PR by exactly 10 seconds.

... I'll take it.

Great job!

DoppleBock

Congrats -

Joe

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Congratulations!!!

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                            Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Joe

Congrats Joe!  

The Runner Life

enter me for Chicago on 10/6, for a goal of 2:46!  it's my first full marathon attempt as well