My first 5k (Read 1224 times)

After a year and half of running I finally ran my first race today. What a blast! My company sponsors the race and we ended up with over 700 runners. I had no idea what to expect and I went in with a goal of beating 30 minutes. I must have read on here a thousand times to not start too fast so I took it easy and ran at what felt like a comfortable pace. At the first mile mark I started actually passing people. At the two mile mark I was feeling good and running past a good many people who did not follow the start slow strategy. I ended up finishing in 26:29, beating my goal and not really hurting too bad. I started running to drop weight without ever considering a race, but I think this could become habit forming.

I have run lots of slow miles so I guess my question now is; how do I work on getting faster? I really enjoy my easy runs and they have helped me lose 75 lbs, but I know I need to change the workouts to pick up the pace. For all the time I have been running I have just run how I felt that day. I guess I am ready for something more structured. Thanks in advance for any advice....

Rookie Runner

Great job, Festus!!!

MrH

If 5k is the distance you want to focus on, then this is an excellent place to start:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19258

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

WTG Festus both on the race results and the weight loss! Keep up the great work.

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

325th place or bust!

+1

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

After a year and half of running I finally ran my first race today. What a blast! My company sponsors the race and we ended up with over 700 runners. I had no idea what to expect and I went in with a goal of beating 30 minutes. I must have read on here a thousand times to not start too fast so I took it easy and ran at what felt like a comfortable pace. At the first mile mark I started actually passing people. At the two mile mark I was feeling good and running past a good many people who did not follow the start slow strategy. I ended up finishing in 26:29, beating my goal and not really hurting too bad. I started running to drop weight without ever considering a race, but I think this could become habit forming.

I have run lots of slow miles so I guess my question now is; how do I work on getting faster? I really enjoy my easy runs and they have helped me lose 75 lbs, but I know I need to change the workouts to pick up the pace. For all the time I have been running I have just run how I felt that day. I guess I am ready for something more structured. Thanks in advance for any advice....

Your race pace was only 1:30 off training pace. Just add 1 day of speed out. Maybe some 400 repeats. Congrats on the race.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Congratulations! Great first race.

Running more races will make you faster (if you follow good recovery rules in between them and run aerobically).  For many of us amateurs, there isn't much need for speedwork if you are racing often. Racing is speedwork, and the hardest kind. Good luck! WTG.

ilp

Congratulations!

This is similar to how I ended up: I was running to lose weight and ended up liking it. Ran my first 5K in 26:50 or so and was ecstatic! Hooked since then.

I'm doing the Running Times "Always Ready To Race" endless season rotation for now, but I just finished a 15-week go2lydiard.com schedule for a 10k and ran a (blistering, for me) 50:18 10K (beating goal of 51:39). I really enjoyed running the go2lydiard schedules, because they emphasize time and pace/effort, instead of distance. It's surprisingly liberating.. e.g. if I do a 2-hr long run and am not feeling so well and end up running it slower than usual, I still feel really good about finishing my 2 hr run and don't feel bad that I may have posted 1/2 or 3/4 mile less.

Anyway, best advice: just keep running and stay in it! I used to NOT do a lot of slow miles and improved considerably after lots of slow miles.. so at least you're starting out right.

Probably like most of us here, you've been hooked after that first race.  I never thought I'd enjoy my first as much as I did. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

5K is a gateway drug; leads you to addiction and you wind up on the harder distances.

I'm just warning you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Great job Festus!  Looks like you're running really consistently, and that's great.  Keep it up, but vary it occasionally - once or twice a week - with a little speed work.  You could consider adding some variety to your courses and distances as well, just to keep your interest.

Thanks for all the info everybody. Lots of stuff to consider, and that is a good thing. I know what you mean about mixing up the courses. I run at 5:30 in the morning and I tend to stick with the same tracks when I'm running in the dark. To mix it up I try running them backwards which really changes the run but it is still the same scenery. I try to do a longer run on the weekends when I can head down to the park. I can't seem to get past a 10 miler though. Each time I have tried I end up completely spent for about 2 days. Anyway, I am enjoying the ride and I am looking forward to the next race. I have 3 more 5k races scheduled and a 10k in the fall. That should be enough to keep me motivated!

Speaking of motivation, this site is amazing. I was lucky I found it when I first started running and logging the miles kept me into it. Reading the forums has become a daily habit. There is an amazing cast of characters here with a ton of information and enthusiasm for the sport. And a great sense of humor keeps the whole thing very entertaining!

Thanks again!