Tapatalk (Read 493 times)

Eric, have you ever considered an app for the forums? I am in a couple of different forums that use Tapatalk or something like it. It just makes the forums easier to navigate and to read on mobile devices. Just thought I would throw that out there.
    Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I would love to see the forums Tapatalk-enabled, but am not holding my breath. Seems to me, it'd be quite a lot of work.

That said, it'd be WONDERFUL if the forums were just a bit more Android-browser-friendly. (I've tried the stock browsers, Dolphin, and Chrome.)

Reading is OK - although page layouts seem to vary (scaling well sometimes but not others). But, posting is terrible.

• None of the advanced post editing / formatting features are available
      • The text entry box is oddly proportioned - tall and skinny
      • Line breaks don't appear in the posted post - so it's all one big run-on

I've been a paid member, although I'm currently lapsed. I'd conside re-upping, but the Android issue (and lack of progress over two years) is really frustrating. I don't use this site to log, but I do use it socially - less so than I'd like because I'm more-often-than-not on an Android device.

Liz

pace sera, sera

I totally agree with Liz.
        eric :)

I've received several requests for Tapatalk but honestly, I haven't figured out how that would benefit RA.  I don't know how much work is involved, but I know I need to connect RA's forums to Tapatalk via their API.  Let me know if I'm wrong, but Tapatalk is akin to Facebook in that it promises more forum traffic but its seems like Tapatalk (and Facebook) has more to gain than RA.

My plan after the log upgrade is to finally work on mobile version of the site.  Can you believe I still don't have a smart phone?  I think the mobile site will allow RA to have more control over its contents.

What are your thoughts of the mobile site approach?

Chasing the bus

Mobile site would be a really nice improvement. I'm all for it! Would the log get mobile pages too? I'd love to upload directly from my Runmeter app, but that probably would require an actual RA app. As is, I can download to PC, then upload to RA, or just manually enter w/o map and HR data.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

What are your thoughts of the mobile site approach?

Hi Eric

Have you looked at using something like Bootstrap from Twitter? It's a css and js library.

It has made our website quite useable on smart phones. So much so that we don't feel it is worth writing iOS and/or Android apps.

We don't have a forum or data entry pages so this approach may not suit RA.

Geoff

Geoff

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Very interested in Geoff's proposal. And agree - no need to develop a mobile app [although I don't think Eric had suggested as much]. Just a modern, mobile-optimized web site would be great.

Tapatalk probably would not do anything to boost the number of users accessing RA; it just makes it more convenient for those of us who already do - when we're on our mobile devices. Again, I think it's probably more hassle than it's worth. And, although I do enjoy the convenience of Tapatalk, their marketing practices are starting to tick me off.

I imagine a more universal and future-proof enhancement would be to optimize for mobile browsers.

MTA: oooh... break tags work :-) [doh]

Liz

pace sera, sera

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

If the rich text editor were enabled it would be a huge improvement.

I've yet to see a mobile version of a website that is worth using. They tend to have so much less functionality than the full version that it's just frustrating. Of course I'm more intersted in using the site from my iPad than my iPhone, so I'm a bit biased against mobile websites because of the larger screen size.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

eric :)

If the rich text editor were enabled it would be a huge improvement.

I've yet to see a mobile version of a website that is worth using. They tend to have so much less functionality than the full version that it's just frustrating. Of course I'm more intersted in using the site from my iPad than my iPhone, so I'm a bit biased against mobile websites because of the larger screen size.

I tried enabling the wysiwyg editor for the iPad.  It all works on my development and test machines, but when I uploaded the changes to the production servers, it didn't work.  I'm still trying to track down the problem.