How many miles on bike = miles on road? (Read 1932 times)

I am healing (hopefully) from a Google-diagnosed metatarsal stress fracture and I have a stationary bike in my condo to use in the meantime.  If I was running 25 miles a week before, how many miles should I cycle? 50? And do I have to maintain my heart rate (average was about 141 when running) while cycling?  I have been doing a pre-programmed "random hills" program on the cycle but having trouble getting my heart rate up that high.  I don't have the strength in my legs to push up the resistance yet.  

Oh, and I will be getting a proper diagnosis hopefully on Friday when I see a sports doc. Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I am healing (hopefully) from a Google-diagnosed metatarsal stress fracture and I have a stationary bike in my condo to use in the meantime.  If I was running 25 miles a week before, how many miles should I cycle? 50? And do I have to maintain my heart rate (average was about 141 when running) while cycling?  I have been doing a pre-programmed "random hills" program on the cycle but having trouble getting my heart rate up that high.  I don't have the strength in my legs to push up the resistance yet.  

Oh, and I will be getting a proper diagnosis hopefully on Friday when I see a sports doc. Smile

HR on a bike should be about 10 beats lower then when you run. Te reason being is that cycling ie essentially a non weight bearing activity.

How many minutes did you run each day? Ride the bike that much.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xor

Alas, bike miles do not equate to running miles.  You can definitely guesstimate the cardio impact by using heartrate zones and time, but it works different muscles different ways and misses the whole impact-on-the-ground angle (which is what you need to do right now... not get that impact... but it is an important piece of running).

Old, Slow, Happy

When it comes to calories used, it's about 3 to 1. 

If you're use 100 calories per mile running, you'll use about 35 on the bike.

or so I've heard.

Feeling the growl again

One does not replace the other, though if it is calories you are concerned about you can probably find a conversion.

Unless you are a serious biker you will have great difficulty maintaining running HR on a bike.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The shirtless wonder

It's complicated.  It depends on your bike for one thing.  A mountain bike on a road is going to be a lot harder to ride than a fancy road bike.

With my crappy, ancient 10-speed road bike it felt like a 4-1 ratio.  I went on two 60 mile rides that felt somewhat like a 15 mile run in terms of energy spent.  But I wasn't in particularly good shape on the bike and my bike is crappy.  I did a lot of shorter rides around 20-24 miles and they too felt like 4-6 miles of running to me. 

But it's not the same.  I didn't push myself on my bike so my heart rate didn't get anywhere close to what it does when I run.

mikeymike

Which weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?

Runners run

Would those be features from an African or European swallow?

(no idea why Monty Python came to  mind when I read your response).

The shirtless wonder

It doesn't matter if you are sick.  I have a cure for the common cold.  If you take my cure you will be healed in only 3 weeks!  If you wait it out on your own it can take up to 21 days to recover.

Last night I rode my bike on my rollers for 30 minutes. I averaged 20.08 mph, rode for 10.04 miles with an average HR of 140. I burned 542 calories (RA calculator).

12/01 I went for an easy 33 min run. I ran 3.3 miles with an average HR of 139. I burned 505 calories (RA calculator).

Again, your HR on a bike will be about 10 beats lower because it is essentially non weight bearing. For swimming, you can take another 10 beats of your bike max HR due to the your bodies bouyancy in the water.

To the OP, if you ride the bike with a HR around 131, you should burn close to the same amount of calories per minute when you run.

Also, use a higher cadence while your biking with as lower resistance. Your cadence should be around 90 rpm's.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Thanks.  Not so much worried about calories, just want to survive my 6 week hiatus without losing too much fitness.  Okay, I will lower resistance, keep rpm at 90 and double/triple my time on the bike.  (Stationary bike) 

Last night I rode 60 minutes, 17 miles at random hills and felt almost like I ran 5k.  Black eye

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Thanks.  Not so much worried about calories, just want to survive my 6 week hiatus without losing too much fitness.  Okay, I will lower resistance, keep rpm at 90 and double/triple my time on the bike.  (Stationary bike) 

Last night I rode 60 minutes, 17 miles at random hills and felt almost like I ran 5k.  Black eye

As SRLopez said, biking and running are not the same so you will lose some running fitness. Don't expect to pick up where you left off just because your biking a lot.

Can you aqua jog? I believe that is the best thing to do to lessen the loss of your running fitness.

I'm in a similar situation right now. I've been self diagnosed with Posterior Tibial tendonitis in my left ankle and have an appointment tomorrow with the sports doc. I have stopped running for a couple days to RICE my ankle and plan on biking, swimming and possibly aqua jogging if the doc says I need to stop running for awhile.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

A pound of bricks differs in several ways from a pound of feathers.  Or features.

#artbydmcbride

Based on what time it takes me (and I am a universal measurement), it is a four to one ratio.  Four miles on a bike equals one mile of running.  

You're welcome.  Big grin

Runners run

Based on what time it takes me (and I am a universal measurement), it is a four to one ratio.  Four miles on a bike equals one mile of running.  

You're welcome.  Big grin

25 miles per week running = 100 miles per week biking / 15 mph = 6.7 hours per week on the bike. About an hour a day.  And I still don't maintain fitness. Oh well. My fault - I must have been ignoring some twinges at some point to get to something this advanced.  

And I have no clue as to where I might find a pool near where I live.