Training for ultra question... (Read 180 times)

Maniac

Looking for advice.... I know one of the staples of ultramarathon training is the back-to-back long runs on the weekend. However, my schedule doesn't allow me to do the traditional "really long run" on Saturday and the "shorter long run" on Sunday. Can I switch the order of those 2 runs? I can run a pretty long run on Fridays, and then a really long run on Saturday.

Thoughts?

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

GinnyinPA

It shouldn't matter whether you run Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday, as long as you get the miles in and have the benefit of running your very long run on tired legs.

Ojo

What distance are you training for?

Sara

MM #2929

Maniac

What distance are you training for?

50-miler.... Technically 53.8.  Man I am going to hate those last 3.8.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Stay healthy

Ojo

So you want to run back to back, but the second day is longer than the first?  Not an expert, but I believe the point of back to back is to get stronger and to run on "tired" legs, which this will do.  If you are training at a slower pace, I think you will be okay.  Consistency will be really important -- just make sure you listen to your body, so you don't get injured.

Sara

MM #2929

Maniac

So you want to run back to back, but the second day is longer than the first?  Not an expert, but I believe the point of back to back is to get stronger and to run on "tired" legs, which this will do.  If you are training at a slower pace, I think you will be okay.  Consistency will be really important -- just make sure you listen to your body, so you don't get injured.

Thanks! That was my opinion as well.

Consistency.... Always been my problem. Better figure out a solution.

Thanks again!

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy

Hi!  I've heard "two-a-days" are best for that.  so do a long run in the morning and a slightly shorter one in the eve.  I just finished a new book, "So you want to run an ultra" by Mouncey.  It is just now out.  very good info - good book.  I highly recommend it.  Good luck with your training!

MM#9629/HF#2323

Smile

Tammarin.....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am always happy to get two long run days in a row. I don't care which day of the week they are or which is longer. (Disclaimer: I am far from an expert.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Keep Going

Looking for advice.... I know one of the staples of ultramarathon training is the back-to-back long runs on the weekend. However, my schedule doesn't allow me to do the traditional "really long run" on Saturday and the "shorter long run" on Sunday. Can I switch the order of those 2 runs? I can run a pretty long run on Fridays, and then a really long run on Saturday.

Thoughts?

My thought is no problem at all. Some love the back to back and others just do one really long run instead. All depends I think on the person. I split the difference. Some weeks I'll do a 10 then a 20 miler back to back. Other times I'll run a 50K then a recovery 5 miles the next day. I think you just need to get consistent training in and time on your feet.

I'll be running my first 50 in May then first 100 on Oct so I'm no expert either. Just my 2 cents!

100 milers are my favorite

hectortrojan

As someone else mentioned, everyone does not do back-to-back.

I did only one 50 miler and I never did back-to-back.  I go with time and not distance. But this is in terms of distance if it helps: Before I decided to do a 50 miler, I crossed marathon distance only once. I trained for 14 weeks for the 50 miler. Did 6 long runs (three 3 hour, two 4 hour, one 5 hour) with marathon distance to be the longest and averaged around 6 hours/week of total running during those 14 weeks. And it worked for me.

You already ran a bunch of marathons and know what works for you. Do what works for you. It is not necessary to do what everyone is doing.

You can only do what you have time for ....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Maniac

Thanks for all the comments and tips everyone.  Much appreciated.

Keystone....Good luck with that 50-miler coming up....I look forward to the race report.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Stay healthy