Ever have your run hijacked by your iPod? (Read 824 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I did yesterday. I've been running sans tunes since my son made off with my Shuffle. It hasn't been seen since. But yesterday, I decided to bring along my regular iPod for an easy 4-miler. I put on the "Dope Runnin' Groovz" playlist, and set it on shuffle. About 1/4 of a mile in, "Furious Angels" from The Matrix Reloaded came up. Relentless tune that make you feel like Agent Smith is chasing you down. My pace quickly accelerated, despite being on an uphill portion of the run. Later on, with about 1/2 a mile to go, Wagner's "The Ride of The Valkyries" came up. I don't know what got into me, but it was on. Now granted, I was running a downhill portion to finish, but rather than go really slow downhill like usual (to avoid excess pounding), I was flying. Long strides, turnover around 180 I would guess. Ah yes, this is what fast feels like. I hit slightly uphill 150 yard homestretch and accelerated. As I was running my last few strides, I could sense that I was approaching DHT. I would have crossed it for sure if I hadn't run out of road. What's DHT? Dry-Heave Threshold. People talk about lactate threshold, VO2max, and other variables, but for me DHT has always been the big one for me. BTW, as a useless aside, I'm one of those lucky souls who's actually gotten to play "The Ride" in an orchestra. The full-blown real Wagner arrangement, not some watered-down POS. I used to think Michigan Stadium Loud was the loudest I'd ever get to play my trombone in a performance. That was until I got to play "The Ride." Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

WOW you have a way of making me feel like I was there. Unfortunatly my ipod tends to slow me down. Not sure why but it does.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

All. the. time. I have certain songs that I try to find if I need a pick-me-up mid-run. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Happens to me too. If I tell you the songs that makes me pick it up, you'll laugh at me Blush
          2009: BQ?
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Like this?
            POMPANO BEACH, Fla. — A woman out for jog while listening to her iPod had her legs severed by a freight train because she may not have heard it coming, authorities said. Cheryl Ann Risse, 32, was recovering at a hospital Friday. Authorities did not know how she ended up in the path of the train Thursday morning, but rescue workers speculated she did not hear the locomotive coming because she was listening to her iPod. Risse often jogged across the tracks on her way to a nearby park, said Keyla Concepcion, spokeswoman for the Broward Sheriff's Office. The train engineer didn't know he had struck Risse until he returned along the same tracks minutes later, Concepcion said. A passing sheriff's deputy noticed her waving her arms. "My feet are on fire," she told Tony Long, a battalion chief for Pompano Beach Fire-Rescue, who responded to the scene. "Do you think you can put the fire out? They're really hurting." The woman was expected to survive.

Prophet!

she must've been really cranking the volume on her ipod - freight trains aren't the most stealthy of things... no ipod hi-jacking on my runs...i do pick it up when there are hotties around and decelerate rapidly after i passed them...a form of fartleking i believe
                i do pick it up when there are hotties around and decelerate rapidly after i passed them...a form of fartleking i believe
                Um, yeah, I do the same thing (hot guys)
                2009: BQ?
                  i do pick it up when there are hotties around and decelerate rapidly after i passed them...a form of fartleking i believe
                  Why? Then they disappear from view faster.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

she must've been really cranking the volume on her ipod - freight trains aren't the most stealthy of things...
                    I can still hear birds chirping and most other sounds even with my volume up fairly high--I wonder if she had noise-canceling earphones. REALLY dumb move for anyone using an iPod outdoors. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

BTW, as a useless aside, I'm one of those lucky souls who's actually gotten to play "The Ride" in an orchestra. The full-blown real Wagner arrangement, not some watered-down POS. I used to think Michigan Stadium Loud was the loudest I'd ever get to play my trombone in a performance. That was until I got to play "The Ride." Big grin
                      Oh, man... I'm jealous. There is nothing sweeter sounding than a trombone on the edge of good taste in a band/orchestra setting. I'm fully convinced that the boner was invented to set off car alarms and the such.

Tick tock