How Long Can Improvement Be Expected? (Read 141 times)

I remember someone commenting on here that new runners can expect to see improvement for 10 years with consistent training.  I'm wondering when aging could change this dynamic.

I started in February 2019 and have noticed steady improvement.  But I'm 48.  Can I expect to improve through my late 50s?  I note the example of George Sheehan who started in his mid 40s and I believe that he made his marathon PR at just over age 60.  His times for shorter distances seemed to also improve at least well into his 50s.

I think my 8 years of avid cycling gave me a head start so I wasn't truly starting at zero at age 47.

Around this time last year I was running tempo runs at around 7:30/mile and now they are closer to 7:00/mile.  I expect the next year will probably not bring as much improvement but I don't know.  My ultimate goal is to beat my 10K time of 41:15 from when I was 18.  That was a race whereas my fastest 10K tempo so far was 43:49.

Thanks.

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

Sheehan was a runner who quit after his college running days.

doing his later years he had only ran 3 days a week

I think it would be different for every individual. It would be interesting to see a graph of expected performance declines with age. 48 isn't too old to see sub-40 10k times, but it will be a lot of work and dedication. And it might just be a matter of discovering what type of training works best for you. I've been disappointed the last several years by only partial and sporadic improvements in time, but being M57 I guess I should be happy if I'm just maintaining my times! I have no illusions of getting PRs now, all of mine are from my 20's, and all the ones under 5k were at a national caliber. But, technically, I can still get a marathon or half marathon PR, because I've never raced one! And I'm pretty sure I can beat my 50k time.

There are all kinds of stories about people taking up running later in life and posting very good times. One ultra guy who never ran before in his life, and substituted running for his other addictions, became a top 10 USA runner in just two years. (there's no substitute for sheer mileage, and he did a LOT)

I've been putting age-grading above overall times as a yardstick of performance lately. It appears that a M50 running 41:00 10k is only a 73% age grade, which is decent, but you want to shoot for 80% to be considered "good", which would be a 37:30. According to the calculator, the M50 record is 30:03!

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup15.html

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CalBears

I remember someone commenting on here that new runners can expect to see improvement for 10 years with consistent training.  I'm wondering when aging could change this dynamic.

I started in February 2019 and have noticed steady improvement.  But I'm 48.  Can I expect to improve through my late 50s?  I note the example of George Sheehan who started in his mid 40s and I believe that he made his marathon PR at just over age 60.  His times for shorter distances seemed to also improve at least well into his 50s.

I think my 8 years of avid cycling gave me a head start so I wasn't truly starting at zero at age 47.

Around this time last year I was running tempo runs at around 7:30/mile and now they are closer to 7:00/mile.  I expect the next year will probably not bring as much improvement but I don't know.  My ultimate goal is to beat my 10K time of 41:15 from when I was 18.  That was a race whereas my fastest 10K tempo so far was 43:49.

Thanks.

This could probably be another philosophical debate - because nobody knows, there will be bunch of anecdotal evidence but it's just impossible to give you an exact answer I think. Too many unknown factors - how you train, your genetics, your injury history, your motivation, list goes on and on and on. I personally know a lot of runners - some of them in their late 50s and some of them in early 60s - and they run sub 2:40 marathons and and 2:4x marathons. A lot of people mention 10 years of improvement after you start but imho it's a BS, what is the definition of improvement? In absolute numbers? I would disagree - imho, running 2:45 at 55 yo is an improvement comparing to running 2:40 at age of 40, for example. I mostly see results correlated to what training person does for all ages.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

At age 18 and 34 you're about equal in age performance (41:29 for a 65th percentile runner - "Advanced Competitor").

At 50 you're +5mins on a 10k because of your age (46:30 to be 65th percentile).

At 55 you're +7 from 18 (48:35).

At about 52yo you'd be in the 75th percentile (Local Champion) if you ran a 41:15.

[source of above info is "The Competitive Runner's Handbook - Bob & Shelly-lynn Glover, 1983/1999]

In the first 4 years of running, you'll probably see a dramatic increase.  So, you might yet do it.  Taking 2.5 minutes off your 10k is certainly possible.

I'd take odds on you.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Of course everyone’s different, so I guess all you’ll get is anecdotal information. Based on mine, I see no reason you can’t continue to improve. I started running in my mid-40s; first marathon was in 2012 (age 47), although did not start racing 5k/10k distances till 2014 (age 49). Last year at 54 I set PRs at every distance from 5k to marathon. Turned 55 a few weeks ago; if I could race right now, I’d likely PR any distance. I know my improvement curve will bend the other direction sooner rather than later, but you should have plenty of time ahead of you. For the 10k example - I ran my first in 2014 at 45:46; my PR last fall was 41:53. 

One caveat - you have talked about lower mileage training, although I don’t recall the details. Since 2014, I have been between 2300 and 2800 miles per year (with the exception of one injury-plagued year). I am no training expert, but I credit my steady improvement at least in part to the continued accumulated mileage. YMMV.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Another anecdote - I'm 63 and have been running for about 8 years. I'm still improving. Consistent training and being willing to challenge yourself can lead to faster times, if you manage to avoid injury.

CalBears

My anecdotal evidence - I started at 46. Broke 39 minutes 10K 18 months later and was steadily improving towards 50 and a half years old of age - getting to 37 minutes 10K. 18 minutes 5K , 1:21 half marathon and 2:48 marathon. But I was at 100 miles per week training plan for some time by then. Then I was laid off from my favorite job and took 3 years of "training only in the fall for CIM" approach. No improvements obviously in those 3 years - only big setbacks with lack of mileage training, though I still was able to run sub 3 marathons (barely). Now, after, looks like, I've got a stable job and with covid and working from home situation I have more time and desire to train, I am nailing 100 miles weeks again, but I will be 55 yo in July and will see if I can say "you still might improve 10 years later" Smile Not clear if we are able to run any races soon, so, maybe I will have to take a time trial on some certified course - this should be good enough for the situation, I guess...

Going back the the age-grade calculator:

41:15 10k at age M18 is about a 65%.

43:49 10k at age M48 is about 67.5%

So, you're actually better now even though you're slower.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Thanks everyone for the fascinating responses.  I'm very much into stats and I enjoy poring over my own and those of others as well.

I found it particularly interesting that according to the age grade calculator my recent tempo run time of 43:49 for the 10K was actually a better performance than the 41:15 at age 18. That does make sense when I think about it as I had only been running for about 3 months before that race when I was 18.  In addition to 15 months of running now, I had all those years of cycling beforehand.

I plugged in my 5K race time from last summer of 20:18 and it came up as an age graded performance of 71.02 and that was after only 6 months of running.  I'm taking that to mean that I have further potential for the 10K distance.

As for external factors, my motivation level is very high but I'm trying to err on the side of injury prevention so have been increasing my distances very gradually.  I'm not sure when racing will be available again but I may try to go all out on my 10K course to simulate a race.  I pushed quite hard on that last tempo but not at 100%.  The course is great in that there are no places where I would have to wait for traffic or any other obstacles.  I measured it both on my bike with its wired computer and using ridewithgps and the results matched so I'm confident about the accuracy of the distance (6.21 miles to be exact).

Hearing the anecdotal evidence that was provided was very encouraging!

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

CalBears

Going back the the age-grade calculator:

41:15 10k at age M18 is about a 65%.

43:49 10k at age M48 is about 67.5%

So, you're actually better now even though you're slower.

Just keep in mind that only older folks agree with these "positive" numbers. My PR race at the age of 50 had 2:31 age graded time, which was like 5 minutes faster than one of my much younger "compadres" (sub 35 yo) on this forum had ran last year. I heard a lot of non-encouraging crap from  most of the local crowd (except the older folks, of course) when trying to compare those age-graded and non-age-graded times . Unfortunately I cannot turn the times back and prove them wrong 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My personal experience is that performance for the shorter events where speed is more of a factor deteriorates first, but with training I was able to maintain the times I ran in my early 20s into my mid-30s for 800m to 2M.  I began to see 10K and HM times slow in my 40s.  It's hard to judge after that because of changes in my training and a big drop in mileage.  Nonetheless, increases in training can counterbalance the aging factor, as a step up in training when I turned 60 brought me the best times I had run in 3-5 years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Most people should see decent improvements for the first 3 years or so if they’re running consistently. After that you need to train smarter to continue making progress regardless of what age you start at.  I started running at 41 and managed a small PR at the 5k and marathon distance last year at 53....with a little help from my Vaporflys.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mikeymike

I started in February 2019 and have noticed steady improvement.  But I'm 48.  Can I expect to improve through my late 50s?

It may sound trite but but it depends. It depends mostly on how much you ramp up your training, and how gradually. You have a ton of upside still--you're not coming anywhere near your genetic potential--and you have a window to run some fast times. I've been at this a while and I know a lot of runners and the ones who were able to run PR's into their late 50's were simply the ones who started late and ramped up gradually. The fact that you never trained hard at running in your 20's and 30's means you don't have to compete against the times you would have run then. So yeah, you can keep running PR's into your 50's as long as you don't train too hard in the next 2-3 years and set times that are so good that the affects of aging will overcome your ability to keep improving. You're running low mileage and barely scratching the surface. It's a matter of what your goals are. If your goal is to run PRs into your late 50's you can do it if you just keep your improvement slow enough. If your goal is to see how fast you can possibly get, then your best bet is to train hard for the next 2-3 years.

I used to scoff at the 10 year window but that turned out to be relatively accurate for me. I started running at age 30 but it took me a couple years of fits and starts to ramp up to where I would call what I was doing "training." At age 34 I had a breakout year and ran big PRs at every distance from 5k to 20 miles. I would have also run a huge PR at the marathon if it hadn't been in the 80's at Boston that year. Then I had a couple down years where I didn't train much. At age 36 I got back after it and a couple years later I was back to PR shape--took down the marathon and stayed roughly in that same fitness range all the way until about age 44-45 (I ran a lifetime PR for 5k at age 44) when injuries started to pile up. I wouldn't say I ever trained as hard as I possibly could have--running was never more than the 3rd or 4th priority in my life, but I put in an honest effort in the margins of a life I deemed worth having. If you add it up I trained relatively hard from age 32-34, then again from age 36-44. So I had about 10 years of decent training spread over 12 years, before I started to see my fitness drop off noticeably. Both times that I got "PR fit", I made most of the gains in the first 2 years or so of decently hard training. After that the gains came much harder. I've seen a similar scenario play out for lots of other runners too.

Decently hard training for me was in the 3000 mile per year range. Hitting 300 mile months when I was getting ready to race and never dropping under 200 miles per month for years on end even in the offseason or when recovering.

Runners run

It may sound trite but but it depends. It depends mostly on how much you ramp up your training, and how gradually. You have a ton of upside still--you're not coming anywhere near your genetic potential--and you have a window to run some fast times. I've been at this a while and I know a lot of runners and the ones who were able to run PR's into their late 50's were simply the ones who started late and ramped up gradually. The fact that you never trained hard at running in your 20's and 30's means you don't have to compete against the times you would have run then. So yeah, you can keep running PR's into your 50's as long as you don't train too hard in the next 2-3 years and set times that are so good that the affects of aging will overcome your ability to keep improving. You're running low mileage and barely scratching the surface. It's a matter of what your goals are. If your goal is to run PRs into your late 50's you can do it if you just keep your improvement slow enough. If your goal is to see how fast you can possibly get, then your best bet is to train hard for the next 2-3 years.

I used to scoff at the 10 year window but that turned out to be relatively accurate for me. I started running at age 30 but it took me a couple years of fits and starts to ramp up to where I would call what I was doing "training." At age 34 I had a breakout year and ran big PRs at every distance from 5k to 20 miles. I would have also run a huge PR at the marathon if it hadn't been in the 80's at Boston that year. Then I had a couple down years where I didn't train much. At age 36 I got back after it and a couple years later I was back to PR shape--took down the marathon and stayed roughly in that same fitness range all the way until about age 44-45 (I ran a lifetime PR for 5k at age 44) when injuries started to pile up. I wouldn't say I ever trained as hard as I possibly could have--running was never more than the 3rd or 4th priority in my life, but I put in an honest effort in the margins of a life I deemed worth having. If you add it up I trained relatively hard from age 32-34, then again from age 36-44. So I had about 10 years of decent training spread over 12 years, before I started to see my fitness drop off noticeably. Both times that I got "PR fit", I made most of the gains in the first 2 years or so of decently hard training. After that the gains came much harder. I've seen a similar scenario play out for lots of other runners too.

Decently hard training for me was in the 3000 mile per year range. Hitting 300 mile months when I was getting ready to race and never dropping under 200 miles per month for years on end even in the offseason or when recovering.

Thanks for sharing the details of how your running has evolved.

I suspect that 10 year window could be true for most endurance sports.  Part of the reason that I lost interest in cycling is that I knew I had pretty much maxed out my performance.  I started gradually at age 38 and improved with distances and times until about age 45 and then I started to notice some regression - barely perceptible at first, but there.

I knew that with running I'd have a wide open arena to improve and that was part of the allure to start.  I keep a spreadsheet of every ride and run I've ever done (except for that first brief foray into running in my late teens) and I highlight notable achievements.  Those highlights became almost non-existent the last couple of years with cycling.  Now with running, I'm having them regularly and that's definitely motivating.  Even if I only have 5 years of steady improvement, that's still a lot of new territory to explore.  I'll soon my lengthening my long run into record area and hope to eventually get there with the 10K time.

Personal Records: