2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jhudak - I'm actually signed up for the Rehoboth Half, in case I can't get healthy enough for a fall marathon but can do a half.  We shall see.

My week, thrown upon this quiet thread:

42 miles, 2000 yards of swimming, and 4:30 hours of pool-running
    M: 60 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
    T: 6 miles (showed up for the track workout, but decided body wasn't up to it after warming up). Followed with 50 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
    W: 8 miles, including 10 very gentle 200m repeats at about 50-55 seconds each, followed by 30 minutes pool-running and streaming yoga.
    Th: 65 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core in the morning, streaming yoga in the afternoon.
    F: 8 miles easy (9:31) followed by 800 yards swimming.
    Sa: 10 miles, including 8 careful Iwo Jima hill repeats (about 2:15 up a 3% incline hill, 90 second jog; 15 second stride, 90 second jog to bottom. Followed with leg strengthwork, streaming yoga, and 1200 yards swimming.
    Su: 10 miles easy (9:21) and streaming yoga in morning; 65 minutes of pool-running in afternoon.

Feeling better energy-wise, though still a way to go (and some could just be lost fitness at this point). But I feel like myself again - my energy is just so much much better.

My gait is still an issue, with random stuff that keeps popping up. After some frustration on Tuesday and Wednesday, my PT tried a new taping job on my right ankle - basically take some stiff, non-stretchy tape, apply to my inside ankle (the medial malleolus) and then wrap up and around diagonally. The idea is that it pulls back on that malleolus a bit every time I flex my foot, and thus mobilizes the ankle joint.

The right ankle taping job improved my left hamstring dramatically (yes, that's right - changing the way the right ankle flexed helped with my left hamstring), just confirming that there's a relationship between the two. In the past, I've had issues with loose ligaments in the right ankle that threw my gait off, resulting in random injuries everywhere. But....when I checked in this morning with the orthopedist who has done all of my PRP/Prolotherapy, he didn't think that was it. He suspects it's in my back, so I'm getting MRIs of both my back and right ankle to see if anything pops out.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep running - this is actually the best I've felt in a while.

On another note, this may amuse some of you...We had an errant cyclist in Jhudak's and my territory:  guy just apparently could NOT share the local trails with pedestrians.

The police did catch him.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW: Glad you're feeling better; I hope you can get to where a fall marathon is possible. Not sure if you noticed it but now Northern Ohio modified the race guidelines section and they will be passing out water during the race; no specification of how many stations but something is better than nothing.

Interesting that you found the Endorphin had bad traction. One of my first thoughts when I took them out of the box and saw the tread was "this looks like it should have a lot better traction than the VF", though despite the VF looking like it should not grab well in slippery conditions, I have run wearing them in pouring rain at MP and never slipped, although I was constantly expecting to. At about 165 lbs I'm probably much heavier than you which may help me to get better traction, just by sheer tonnage  I'll do a couple more workouts/LRs in the Endorphin to make sure that first run wasn't a fluke, and if all is ok it will be my marathon shoe this fall.

Glad they caught that biker in your area...sounds like quite a character!

This was a down week for me to allow a minor strain in my left hamstring to heal; not anything major but I'm erring on the side of caution. It seems to have done the trick. A very hilly long run Saturday went fine; no twinges. That was also the first 22 miler this cycle; I am restraining myself re the long runs and trying not to overdo things. Less than 7 weeks now till race day.

Distance   Pace   Gain
      Tue   Morning Run   10.14   8:22   640
      Wed   Morning Run   8.25   8:15   571
      Thu   Morning Run   10.15   8:09   636
      Sat   Hilly long run - first 9 with Matthew   22.03   8:17   2218

Total distance: 50.57 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

My week sucked big time. Work is horrible and my only run with any kind of effort became a 9:00 pace with a 163 heart rate (marathon effort) and I'm just completly lost. I don't even care about Boston now and that's pathetic after working for it and getting my sub 3. It doesn't even feel special at this point. Just a really expensive marathon so I can tell other people (who probably don't care) that I've done it. I'm spent. I've accepted all the work I did to get to where I was has been for one goal and that goal was accomplished. 2020 destroyed me to a level that the joy from running can't bring back. It's done. I'm out. Covid 19 and every other problem that's been raised during this time wins. Maybe I'll find out where cal went.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: Glad you're feeling better; I hope you can get to where a fall marathon is possible. Not sure if you noticed it but now Northern Ohio modified the race guidelines section and they will be passing out water during the race; no specification of how many stations but something is better than nothing.

Interesting that you found the Endorphin had bad traction. One of my first thoughts when I took them out of the box and saw the tread was "this looks like it should have a lot better traction than the VF", though despite the VF looking like it should not grab well in slippery conditions, I have run wearing them in pouring rain at MP and never slipped, although I was constantly expecting to. At about 165 lbs I'm probably much heavier than you which may help me to get better traction, just by sheer tonnage  I'll do a couple more workouts/LRs in the Endorphin to make sure that first run wasn't a fluke, and if all is ok it will be my marathon shoe this fall.

Nope - I didn't see that modification.   I actually need to check out their site and see if it's possible for me to swap to the half.  I can assure you that the full is not happening - it's way too close.

I do think the fact I'm small has a lot to do with my differing experience with shoes.  Also, I really "scrape" the group more than power off of it, so I rely less on force and more on traction.

I'm really glad your hammie is better!

RunningProblem - I'm sorry Sad

Remember that the joy in running is from more than just times?   

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RunningProblem - I'm sorry Sad

Not your fault. I appreciate it. It is just obvious Boston isn't happening in 2021 so I'll hold on to the accomplishment I was least proud of (sub 3 with a HM PR in the middle) at the moment it happened and move on with life. It is a shitty spot to be in when you're wrong about everything in life for 6 months. The hardest part is accepting everything I worked for to get to a sub 3 boston qualifier is gone and I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

9:00 pace with a 163 heart rate 

Now you're talkin my language...If you come to NYC in this condition, we could have a nice jog in the park.

Buck up!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m absolutely gutted as the Bewl Water Marathon hasn’t been cancelled and I now have to run the thing on Saturday.  Arghhhh!!!!!!!

The Brighton 10k wanted to know my estimated finish time (to the nearest minute) and I put 38min....I’ve always wanted to know how it feels to come last. 🕺

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

I’m absolutely gutted as the Bewl Water Marathon hasn’t been cancelled and I now have to run the thing on Saturday.  Arghhhh!!!!!!!

The Brighton 10k wanted to know my estimated finish time (to the nearest minute) and I put 38min....I’ve always wanted to know how it feels to come last. 🕺

It looks like quite a scenic course (albeit hilly!).

My update is that Rotorua Marathon is on, but due to differential alert levels in different places, no one from Auckland is allowed to run it (don't get me started on the ridiculousness of this).  The organisers copped some serious backlash when they announced this as I really don't think they tried to think about how they could make wave starts work within the restrictions, but it is what it is I guess.

So now we move on to plan C, the Wairarapa Country Marathon on Oct 11.  It's only two weeks later and it looks like a slightly faster course, nice countryside running, albeit still with a few rollers.  Plus the announcers have stated they will cap entries at 100 per event to ensure it can go ahead within even the Level 2 restrictions.  They only had 23 runners in the marathon last year but I'm picking they might get a few more this year due to so many other events being cancelled.

(yes, I still have Plan D, Plan E, and Plan F but those all have various significant drawbacks)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

jhudak55

DW: Glad to see that your energy has improved significantly! Is the Rehoboth Half an entirely paved surface?

I really hope that biker is kept off the trails, seems like there is a bit more going on than "path rage". I'm running on all of those trails multiple times per week and I think most of the bikers are pretty reasonable with their speed and proximity. I really appreciate the bell when approaching from behind.

JT: Great news on the aid stations. I think a lot of people would have ended up with at least one person crewing for them at different points along the course if they shut down all of the aid stations.

RP: Sounds like you might just need some momentum going in the right direction. That sub 3 fitness is likely easier to "get back" than is was to put in place the first time.

My week:

52.6 miles

M: 12 miles easy AM (8:45) w/ a pretty strenuous 9 mile hike in the afternoon

T: 3.1 miles easy (9:14)

W: 5 miles easy (8:49)

T: 10 miles easy (8:42)

F: 7.5 miles easy (9:05)

S: 15 mile long run (7:58)

S: Off

My legs were pretty beat up after all of the running/hiking on Monday. Took a couple days to fully recover. The rest of the week was pretty easy, I had great weather on Saturday morning for the long run so I ended up doing that a bit faster than expected. Before the long run on Saturday, my ankle was hit by the closing door while entering a porta john. It hurt pretty bad in the moment, but felt like more of a "stinger" and I started my long run about 3 minutes later without any pain. By 7-8 PM my ankle had swollen up significantly and I couldn't walk without pain/limping. I think this was exacerbated because I had been in brand new dress shoes since about 11 AM (I was in a wedding on Saturday). Yesterday was the first day I was able to walk without pain, but the ankle is still pretty swollen. Hoping to be able to go for a short easy run tomorrow.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Now you're talkin my language...If you come to NYC in this condition, we could have a nice jog in the park.

Buck up!

Try doing it while not wearing an N95 mask. 

NYC? You crazy. I THOUGHT that would be my next goal after CIM. Just a few more seconds per mile and I'd be up there with my first marathon pacer (2:52 pacing a 3:30!) on the same course. I'd even said I could do 3 of the 6 majors at one point in Chicago. bupkis! Besides....you'd probably make me wear an N95 mask to get the "full effect" of the East Coast. If I'm heading out there we'd HAVE to swing by JMac's place so he could get his warm up in before doing some 6x3T workout in.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Today is the first day the air quality has been below 140 in probably a few weeks. 200 yesterday according to the EPA website. Portland has been on fire, Portola has been on fire, Yosemite is closed due to smoke, etc. It's a shit sandwich and I took a major bite. I'm so out of shape. I think it's been 2-3 weeks of crappy air quailty and I'm almost GREATFUL I never signed up for CIM at this point. Training would SUCK and my buddy has tried to go an hour away to higher elevations to get training in (he did well) and reported the air quality still wasn't below 160.

EDIT: Anyone know how the Takumi Sen does for mowing lawns? I figure it would give me just the right amount of feedback from the lawn while also giving me that extra grip without tearing the blades. I think the AlphaFly might not give the right amount of feedback due to it's stack height and not enough grip.

VDOT 53.37 

Good luck tomorrow Mikkey! Do you have a goal for the race?

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Good luck tomorrow Mikkey! Do you have a goal for the race?

Goal A is Sub 3:37. There is no goal B or C as failure isn’t an option. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Goal A is Sub 3:37. There is no goal B or C as failure isn’t an option. 

What's your address for the bag of sand we need to send?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Resident Historian

What's your address for the bag of sand we need to send?

Gonna be a very small bag of sand!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson