Maine Half Marathon RR (Read 770 times)

Interesting day today. I experienced extreme anger (at myself) and later on, complete joy. First of all, I couldn't have asked for a better day for a race. Low 50s and no wind. We got there late and I had to wait a while at the port-a-john line. There was only 10 minutes till the gun and I couldn't find my pop, whom I was supposed to drop off my gear with. Luckily, I found him just as the wheelchair racers were sent on their way. It was a mass start with marathoners, halfers, and relay runners all together. The gun went off and we were away. I ran along Baxter for a couple miles and I noticed Sheri Piers (2:37 marathon PR) ahead of me flying down the course in what appeared to be 1:13 pace. I thought about trying to pace off of her, but I'm glad I didn't because it turned out she was running the relay. I talked a bit with a fast looking runner and he said he was going for sub-1:15 so I told him he should probably move ahead because I wanted 1:17s. Everything was uneventful as we went into Falmouth. I noticed I was hitting some 5:48-49 miles and began to fantasize about 1:16s. I began pacing off this guy and using him as a windbreak around the 4 mile mark. He kept trying to shake me but I stuck on him like glue. I thought he was a halfer, turned out he was a marathoner. So I pass Mile 6 and there were some cones in the road and a guy standing at the end of them. I was so locked in on the guy in front of me that it didn't register that this was the turnaround point. I took a quick look at the guy behind me and he was wearing a white bib like me so I assumed he was a halter. It turns out the yellow bibs are for FIRST TIME marathoners and I had missed the turnaround. I was furious beyond belief. I looked at my Gamin and then again at the turnaround. I ran an extra . 42 miles! Ugh! So I knew my sub 1:18 goal was gone and I had another hard 6.5 miles in what was essentially a wasted race. Oh well. I started picking people off and asking what they wanted to run in ... 1:23-no, 1:20-no, and so on. I probably ran down 10 guys between thhe turnaround and the halfway point. I was on the long bridge going back into Portland when I heard a spectator call out that I was 7th and the guy behind me was 8th. I looked back at him him and said, "let's pass that guy in front of us and be 6-7. I passed the guy, but he didn't. I ran the last 5k completely alone, feeling fine. It's too bad about my mistake because I really felt strong and ran well. I finished 6th OA and won my age group. My overall pace with the added running was 5:52. On a more positive note, I was able to see a close friend BQ in her first marathon. I got a ride to Mile 19 and ran with her the rest of the way! So in the end, it turned out to be a great day.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

That's an amazing performance with almost an extra half mile.

Runners run

I am really enjoying your racing Diamond J.  There is a lot to be said about what you're doing: racing stronger and stronger at the 5k-HM level before moving on to the marathon.   Thanks for the reports.  They're great reads.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The King of Beasts

Great running.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

xhristopher

Great run. I'm sure you ran a sub 1:18 half in there somewhere. What did your splits look like after your wrong turn?

After I got back to the turnaround...5:51, 5:45, 5:48, 5:54, 5:56, 5:49, 3:32 for the last kilometer.

Great job, that's some awesome racing even w/the extra half mile.

I'm not a fan of that half marathon turn around, but then again I've never done the half there so it hasn't been a big deal. The marathon turnaround is a cone as well but there's no way you're going to run past it there. They definitely need different color bibs for the half marathoners; it would help a lot during the race.

We got there late and I had to wait a while at the port-a-john line.

That's why we parked behind the school of business - no lines for the bathroom during our walk to the starting line, you just had to turn the light switch on yourself.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I learned from another post that Jim2 has passed away, and I had to go and visit the site to be reminded of just how much awesomeness he packed into it.  Here's a favorite tidbit:

To answer one of your questions, a runner can improve for up to 10 years, regardless of the age at which s/he starts...(For an in depth study of the why's and wherefore's of this, see http://www.krs.hia.no/-stephens/index.html which is an excellent website for Masters...) Now, all this assumes that a runner trains consistently. If s/he is inconsistent (start/stop or with no plan)so s/he is always restarting, the total period of improvement might be extended, but the eventual level reached might be lower.

Keeping that and your amazing progress in mind Jeff, the sky's the limit for you.  It's going to be fun following your races, and watching your times drop for a long time.  Keep it rollin'.

RIP Jim2.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'll keep on posting. Hopefully people can learn from what I am doing as I have learned a lot from quite a few people on this site!

Wow, that had to be frustrating. It's great you were able to vent your frustration towards picking off runners for the remainder of the race.  My number one gripe at some races is when the volunteers just stand there at an intersection and expect you to read their mind while your questioning "am I suppose to turn here, or go straight..." 

You handled it well!  Good luck on the next race!

Tom

I learned from another post that Jim2 has passed away, and I had to go and visit the site to be reminded of just how much awesomeness he packed into it.  Here's a favorite tidbit:

To answer one of your questions, a runner can improve for up to 10 years, regardless of the age at which s/he starts...(For an in depth study of the why's and wherefore's of this, see http://www.krs.hia.no/-stephens/index.html which is an excellent website for Masters...) Now, all this assumes that a runner trains consistently. If s/he is inconsistent (start/stop or with no plan)so s/he is always restarting, the total period of improvement might be extended, but the eventual level reached might be lower.

Keeping that and your amazing progress in mind Jeff, the sky's the limit for you.  It's going to be fun following your races, and watching your times drop for a long time.  Keep it rollin'.

RIP Jim2.

That's sad to hear.  I always enjoyed reading stuff from Jim2, he always talked a lot of sense and had a lot of passion for his and other peoples running. RIP indeed.

xor

Jim2 taught us lots of lessons.

Jim's passing teaches us lessons too.

I was the one who brought it into these boards, but I surely wouldn't want it to derail this thread.  We can discuss Jim2 elsewhere.

J, you did awesome.  Keep doing.

Another great race Diamond J, I was expecting to see a 1:17 something from you and I suspect you did run this with the extra distance!  You really are having a stellar few months.

I ran the full at Maine last year (my first), and I was in a crowd of probably 20-30 runners when we hit the turnaround for the half. They ALL turned, and suddenly I was all alone. That was a strange feeling.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Roses Revenge

Great report!  Congratulations on your high placement, despite missing the turn around.  I did the early start for the full marathon and really enjoyed it, until the last mile or so.  First time I've ever bonked.  The folks in the medical tent were super!

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!