Feet (Read 1403 times)

Speaking of feet, has anyone ever gone to a Podiatrist?

I have the a small bunion, and my toes seem to be working there way over to the right.    

After seeing my mothers feet this last weekend, I was horrified.  Becuase her feet are like platypus feet.    Someone told me to  use Yoga Toes, to help strengthen them and keep the toes separate.

Who knows if this really does anything.  Although, since I've been using them, my toe cramps seem to have gone away.  ( yay!)

I guess my question is, can a Podiatrist give you tips on how to prevent further damage to your feet ?  

The last thing I want is feet that look like my mother's , but more importantly, I don't want the bunion to get any worse.   I just hear horror stories all the time. 

- Anya

I have a small bunion on my left foot, and I've gotten ball-of-foot pain there after some workouts.  Nobby recommended Injinji (or other brand) toe-socks.  They do seem to help with the discomfort, but I have no idea if they're preventing any worsening.

Where'd you get the toe-spreader thingy?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

oops

I found the Yoga Toes on-line a while back.  When you put them on, it really sort of hurts for a bit.  I try to wear them now for 15 minutes or so. 

I will use them everyday if I know they help.    

My mom told me that her bunion caused her other toes to crowd, and now she has hammertoes.  Like one toe is trying to overlap the other one.  It's so gross.   And, they were not always like that.   One thing she did, that I don't, is wear heels.   I only wear a wedge heel, and never all day or everyday.   

My boyfriend and his kids all love to put the Yoga Toes on too.  It's hilarious. 

- Anya

coastwalker

To answer your question: Yes, a good Podiatrist can talk to you about things you can do to help your bunions from getting worse. However, if they do get worse, surgery is one of the options to consider. I had a bunion removed about 7 years ago, and it has made a huge (positive) difference.

To the greatest extent that you can, wear shoes with a roomy toe box. Narrow toe boxes will, over time, make bunions worse.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

A Saucy Wench

I dont run in vibrams but I wear them for walking around and most of the day and my toe overlap has totally straightened out.  It was painful at first to wear them but now it is comfy

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I dont run in vibrams but I wear them for walking around and most of the day and my toe overlap has totally straightened out.  It was painful at first to wear them but now it is comfy

Really?  That's good news!    I have a pair, but I swear, my toes cramp up a lot when I try to get my toes in the slots.   But, that's a good idea...

- Anya

A Saucy Wench

Really?  That's good news!    I have a pair, but I swear, my toes cramp up a lot when I try to get my toes in the slots.   But, that's a good idea...

One of my toes used to be very painful just putting them in, I worked up slowly

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Try to work the Vibrams over the toes rather than the toes into the Vibrams.  Works for me with my obstinate little toe.

Try to work the Vibrams over the toes rather than the toes into the Vibrams.  Works for me with my obstinate little toe.

I'll try it. 

A few years ago, when I was really trying to go barefoot, I went for a run in my Vibrams.  Well, it was cold and icy out.    I forget why I had to take them off, but, I could NOT get them back on.  I was about 1 mile from home, and the pavement was freezing.   Everytime I tried to get them on, my toes would cramp.   

It was awful! 

But, I like the idea of wearing them around, I did spend a lot of money on them!  And if they can help separate my toes, that's awsome.

- Anya

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

A few years ago, when I was really trying to go barefoot, I went for a run in my Vibrams.  Well, it was cold and icy out.    I forget why I had to take them off, but, I could NOT get them back on.  I was about 1 mile from home, and the pavement was freezing.   Everytime I tried to get them on, my toes would cramp.   

It was awful! 

Builds character! Joking

xor

From the Dick Van Dyke Show.

FEET, by Scout Master Alan

You need feet to stand up straight with.
                            You need feet to kick your friends.
                            You need feet to keep your socks on
                            and to keep your legs from fraying at the ends.
                            You need feet to stand on tippy-toe
                            and to dance the hoochiekoo.
                            Yes, the whole world needs feet for something,
                            and I need feet to run away from you.