I am sitting on Costanza's wallet. (Read 245 times)

SubDood

I don't know how you people walk around with those things.

Significant shrinkage.

tweisner

This is what it feels like when I am driving. A dull achy feeling that seems to be coming from below and behind my hipbone. I hardly feel it when running. I have been following the torn hip labrum thread and this has got me pretty concerned, although I never feel anything on the inside of my thigh.I have noticed it for a month or two and don't think it has gotten any worse. I am registered for my third marathon in late October (MCM), and I really want to start building base miles now but if rest is whats required now would be the time. A bit of background- 100+ miles per month this year. Most of those are probably run too hard. Male 38,6ft.,163lbs.Any advice ?

Hello, I am having the same issue.  I have been trying to get to the bottom of my problem for 3 years.  This is the third time I have dealt with it and each time I find out a little more.  I have had hip imbalances due to weakness on one side and tightness on the other side.  I have stretched and strengthened a ton.  But still it would reoccur.  I am still seeking help.  This time the person I am seeing did a running and movement analysis.  The first thing he did was change my shoes.  He said the shoes I was running in were too rigid and had too high of a heel to toe drop, 12mm.  He put me in a neutral shoe with more flexibility and a 4mm drop.  He said hip instability was also a contributor to my problems.  He also identified some things in my running form that need correcting.  I am currently working on deep core strength/activation, glute activation, and hip stability.  Along with some myofascial release treatments.

- itri - 

Same issue last year and my Dr. fixed me up after one visit.  Oddly enough, he's a dermatologist...Dr. Van Nostrand.

hip issues here as well. Sports doc said it was capsulitis - kind of like frozen shoulder only in the hip. Very tight psoas, hip flexor, hip misalignment, etc. only one treatment so far but feels a bit better.  I think a lot has to do with my job. Sitting is the new smoking, don't 'cha know?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Take the wallet out of your back pocket, and carry it in a front pocket?  See if that helps.

Chris Pinney

So, I took a week off just to evaluate things and realized I pretty much quit on my core work during the 2 month long trail race "season". Also, read alot about pelvic tilt and have determined mine is too forward which explained the lower back pain. I have started doing planks and pushups again and will stop and stretch the lower back and hamstrings on long runs. Just trying to stay relaxed. I seem to be working my way through this. May will be my highest volume month this year despite the week off.

tweisner

Forward pelvic tilt on the right side seems to be what is causing all my hip/lowback/hamstring/piriformis problems.

A sports massage therapist is working with me to correct the pelvic tilt.  Once that is corrected and my sciatic nerve pain is gone I can start back running and strength training again.  But he says I will always have some maintenance work to do to keep it corrected.  Or it will go back to its 'default' position and my problems would eventually reoccur.

Good luck to you all.

- itri - 

Feeling the growl again

Forward pelvic tilt on the right side seems to be what is causing all my hip/lowback/hamstring/piriformis problems.

A sports massage therapist is working with me to correct the pelvic tilt.  Once that is corrected and my sciatic nerve pain is gone I can start back running and strength training again.  But he says I will always have some maintenance work to do to keep it corrected.  Or it will go back to its 'default' position and my problems would eventually reoccur.

Good luck to you all.

Out of curousity, what is being done to correct the tilt?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bap

Good luck to you all.

He got it out?

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

tweisner

Out of curousity, what is being done to correct the tilt?

On my first appointment with Bob, he determined that my right leg was longer than the left due to the pelvic tilt on the right side.  He did some work on my back lengthening the muscles around the pelvis.  From what I understand or to say it plainly, the muscles that support the pelvis were tight on the right tilting it forward.  After he got done, my legs were the same length.

For a week, I had to do a side bend to the left with a 5 lbs weight in my right hand.  2x15 every day.

After one week, I went back for a followup.  My pelvis had not shifted or gone back to its tilted position.  That was good.  He did some more work on my back and the side of my hip this time.  He then gave me my corrective exercises.  Which include:

Sitting knee pillow squeeze (adductors)

Static back knee pillow squeeze (adductors)

Modified Floor Block (restores curve in back and disengages the shoulders)

Static Extension (promotes extension, relieving pressure on the lumbar discs)

Wall sit (2 mintues, relinks ankles, knees and hips evenly under load)

Static Back (uses gravity to decompress and align the spine)

Supine groin stretch (I don't know what this one does)

I have to do this everyday for 2 1/2 weeks.  Then I go back for a followup and let him see if everything is still in place.  Right leg sciatica is still slightly there.  He said once I am clear from the sciatica and everything is still in place I would continue this about 4-5 days per week.

Honestly, I don't see how this really simple stuff works.  Gravity seems to be the key factor is these things.  He also said the order was important.  It is kind of a lengthy and boring routine as some things are done for 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 6 minutes.  And most of it is just laying there letting gravity do the work.

We will see how it goes- this guy seems to understand my problem.  But, I have seen probably 10 different professionals seeking help over 4 years.  I have followed all kinds of doctors orders.  I haven't given up on being able to run without injury.  But it has been a long and winding road.  I can't swear by this yet.  But hopefully it will work for me.

- itri -