Lack of Base and Faith - Marathon Question (Read 994 times)

I want to run a marathon next May. I've trained for and run several halves in the last few years, only one that I was really strongly prepared to run. The others I suffered through. I was planning a half in May this year and ran hard in Jan and February but I got sick for about a whole month (March) and couldn't get myself back after that. I ended up changing over to a 10k in May and did fine. Since then I've ate crap food (gained a lot of weight) - run some but not much and just ran/walked a ten k two weeks ago. I'm big time under trained right now but I know I could be back to running 6 miles in about a month of training... Sorry so long but my question is this: Do I have time to build base and train for a FULL by May? Any suggestions welcome. My training buddy is sure I can but I want some experienced people give me some advice. Also I think I need a loftier goal than just another half to get me out of the funk - plus I love winter training... Thanks all.
    mdmccat

Why is it sideways?

Absolutely you have time.
      Carl A

Jeff's right! It sounds like you already know how to train smart (starting slow and short, and building from there), and it also sounds that you're like me in that you need to set goals in order to keep going day-to-day. Enjoy the journey!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Thanks. I was kind of afraid that my base was way to far gone. I put a training plan together that I would have to start January. 'Til then I need to get to, then continue running 0,3,4,4,0,3,6 each week. I work much, much better with a plan and a goal. Plus being scared shitless doesn't hurt. Ran 3 last night and although I've run here and there throughout the summer, I hadn't entered into my log since May and before that... MARCH! I'm going to start logging again, keeps me honest with myself. Thanks for the input. mm
          mdmccat
          Carl A

You're welcome. Good luck!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I work much, much better with a plan and a goal. Plus being scared shitless doesn't hurt.
              Me too, I got an email from last Spring's marathon (Providence, RI) today and that got me thinking about putting my training plan on a calendar. It's been five days, I gotta get cracking. I found a nice simple 2009 calendar template here: http://www.copycraft.com/templates.html I have to do this because I do NOT love training through the winter. You have to be a special kind of crazy to LOVE training through a Michigan winter. Welcome to RA, and best of luck to you Michael.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Feeling the growl again

Just one man's viewpoint here, but why the rush? Why not do as you planned last year and train for and do the half in May and look toward a fall marathon? Full marathons are a lot of pain and if the weather is suboptimal undertrained people can get themselves in a world of trouble. I'm sure you COULD do it, especially if finishing time is not a factor. IMHO halfs are a lot more fun and a lot less pain (and I do a decent number of marathons). I can pretty much guarantee that if you give yourself until fall to work up to this the end experience will be better.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

casualrunner

I hope you can because I'm about to do the same thing. I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's Novice Supreme which supposedly will take me from my current 3 miles to a marathon. We shall see. I'm planning a Memorial Day weekend race. I'd like to do the full in the fall, but I'm lucky enough to spend a month in Europe next summer. I know there's no way I'll run while I'm there. After I come back I won't have time (long term) to train for one. Since it's something I'd like to do I'm going to try. If I don't do as well as planned I'll probably do a half in the spring and try and force myself to run while in Europe in order to do the fall marathon.
                    You can do it. As for Spaniel's well-reasoned advice, all I can say, somewhat philosophically, is: We never know how much time we have, so I'd probably aim for spring, with a fall fallback if things don't go as planned. And the world still exists. But don't take that to mean, Oh crap, the world may end, I better run a marathon NOW. Try to hit the holidays with some consistency to get into the groove, cut some weight, build more of a base and to stave off holiday (over)indulgences. Then find/craft a plan and hit the New Year hard. Look forward to your race report.
                      Just one man's viewpoint here, but why the rush? Why not do as you planned last year and train for and do the half in May and look toward a fall marathon?
                      I think I need to rush because of the need of a "New" lofty goal. I've ran many HMs already... And my big goal is a marathon. So I guess the answer is a challenge to motivate me, I'm not looking for a perfect time or for it to be pleasant. I just want to do it. I'll have the fall to fall back on like denephin says... I do understand what you're saying though. I'll close this post thanks so much for your advice everyone! And cross your fingers for me, I'll need all the help I can get. mm
                      mdmccat
                        Just an FYI ... under "options" then "under your log preferences" you should select "view by all" ... so that we can stalk your progress -- good luck!

2012= under-goaled