What's up with the Texas State Fair?? (Read 329 times)

xor

I grew up with this thing.  Including a day off from school every October that came with a free ticket to the fair.

First, Big Tex was destroyed by a mysterious fire yesterday.

Then last night, people were stranded for hours hanging 150+ feet in the air because of a ride malfunction

Weird.

For the record, this isn't the first time weird crap has happened at the Texas State Fair.  When I was a kid, in 1979, the overhead gondola thingy snapped:

====

Saturday, October 21, 1979 - On the Swiss Sky Ride at the Texas State Fair, two gondola cars dropped 85 feet from the ride's cable to the ground. One man was killed, a 20-year-old woman was left a quadriplegic, and 17 other riders were injured. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission concluded that the ride's operators knew of defects in the ride, but failed to report them. The woman won a $3.1 million settlement on the basis that the ride had been operated negligently in high winds.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

$3.1mil.  Nowadays that would be chump change for a suit like that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

It appears perhaps Big Tex couldn't resist going back for more Fried Texas Hot Sauce...

RIP, Big Tex!  Sad

I grew up with this thing.  Including a day off from school every October that came with a free ticket to the fair.

First, Big Tex was destroyed by a mysterious fire yesterday.

Then last night, people were stranded for hours hanging 150+ feet in the air because of a ride malfunction

Weird.

For the record, this isn't the first time weird crap has happened at the Texas State Fair.  When I was a kid, in 1979, the overhead gondola thingy snapped:

====

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know, Big Tex reminds me of Big Butter Touchdown Jesus a little...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay