Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

kimba

Steve - race it at HM pace.  If feeling good at 8km, speed up.

I am the threads first injury.  I have done my left hamstring so will be out of running for a while.  My first ever hamstring injury.

What happened, exactly?  While you were running or after?  Up high near your your glutes?  Or mid, lower?  You said you have “done” your hamstring - did you mean you have torn it?

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Rune - major muscle groups. I’m currently working with rings and it’s been super fun.
      For running the core is really super important, the more stable the core the least chance of injuries I reckon.

Steve - 4 months before a half you should be base building so racing it all out is fine, just to make things fun.

Watson - have you tried the massage ball against the hamstring while sitting on a chair?
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7dYwqNfkG0

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

It is in the middle.  Right now it is time for regular ice.

I did it at the very start of my third interval, so I was accelerating.  I walked home, I did try to run but it was not possible.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It is in the middle.  Right now it is time for regular ice.

I did it at the very start of my third interval, so I was accelerating.  I walked home, I did try to run but it was not possible.

Whatta coincidence - I did something kinda similar on Tuesday.  Started the track workout, and my left hammy cramped up in the center of the muscle so I pulled up and went home.  I'm thankful in that mine seems a bit milder than yours - I can run comfortably as long as I keep it slow, and I'm not expecting this to take too long to resolve if I don't rush it.  I hope yours clears quicker than you expect.

Steve - I am confused.  Why would you NOT race the 10K all out?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave: The intention was for it to a tempo as part of half marathon training.  But thinking about it, it will actually require me to race all out to hold HMP at my current fitness level.  So technically it's not my current HMP, it's my target HMP in 4.5 months.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - that does not make much sense. 10km at HMP is a predictor workout that you run 10 days before the race to confirm your race pace.

Running that 4 months before won't tell you much and it will likely be closer to all out 10k pace. If you're so close to the devil you might as well hug him and run it all out.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just race it all out, and don't think about what it means for a race 4 months from now. All it will tell you is what fitness you have today and potentially what paces you should be training at.

I've decided I need to find a race in February to both increase my motivation and get some of the rust off. It's very difficult to find a certified 5K/10K in February, so I'll either have to race some awkward distance or pray the non-certified course I run is legit.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Watson & DWave - Sad to hear about the injuries. Wishing you both a speedy recovery.

Steve - I agree with the others, race the 10k all-out. It'll do good to put in a solid race effort, and help you set/verify your training paces going forward.

JMac - I'm looking for a race in February as well (10k-HM) but am not having a lot of luck with something that fits. A 10k 3 weeks out looks like my best option, but I'd rather do either a half or a 20 that far out from Cowtown. Hopefully we can both find something that fits.
                  Oh, and winter is about to hit OK! The forecast for Saturday morning is 20* and falling with a 20-25mph N wind, plus snow! I did end up getting the nice Gore R7, so I'll certainly be trying that out over a couple other layers.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Keen. Welcome to treadmill season.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

kimba

I've decided I need to find a race in February to both increase my motivation and get some of the rust off. It's very difficult to find a certified 5K/10k in February, so I'll either have to race some awkward distance or pray the non-certified course I run is legit.

There’s a nice 10 miler in MA in February if you want to travel a little - Foxboro Old Fashioned 10 miler.  There is a 5K and a 10M, both certified.

*Edited to say there is a 5K and a 10 Miler - not 10K.  You can even do both for a combined 13.1.

https://elitefeats.com/upcoming-detail.asp?ID=20103

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just race it all out, and don't think about what it means for a race 4 months from now. All it will tell you is what fitness you have today and potentially what paces you should be training at.

I've decided I need to find a race in February to both increase my motivation and get some of the rust off. It's very difficult to find a certified 5K/10K in February, so I'll either have to race some awkward distance or pray the non-certified course I run is legit.

https://runsra.org/super-sunday-run/

Probably a certified course. Good organization puts it on too.

I think I'll start speed work next week. I kind of want to do it alone only because one guy tries to hang with me, can't, and wants me to change my workout so he can understand it or follow along. Even when I've told him to make a workout in Garmin and let the watch do the thinking/math/hard stuff so all we have to do is run. I'll just have to put the workout up there, do my thing, and let other people do their thing. I'm getting really irritated with people lately and some alone time to be frustrated and/or run is probably in order. Apparently April 4 is sooner than I think. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Agreed on the above.  Plus - racing is a skill in and of its self, and requires practice.  It's very hard to race your best if you haven't raced in a while.

Jmac - dunno how you feel about NYRR races, but I liked that Gridiron 4 Miler I did in Central Park last year.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

Watson - Great news if it's muscular. I've learned that muscles are a lot easier to heal than tendons.

Flavio - Thanks! I talked to my physical therapist about this today and he said we should be able to do an assessment and set up a program to correct any weak spots. He also mentioned doing the assessment based on major muscle groups.

Steve - Race it!

I'm not racing anytime soon but I ran easy for 10 minutes yesterday with very little or no additional soreness from the run! I'm so excited about this (and so is our dog!), especially since it means I can do some easy runs in whatever city I'm traveling to for work. Up next week, Melbourne, Australia. I'm hoping I can share some good pictures on Strava again.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - dunno how you feel about NYRR races, but I liked that Gridiron 4 Miler I did in Central Park last year.

NYRR is a bitch, every single one of their races is sold out in January AND February. There's a Brooklyn 4M on Feb 28, but that's probably too late for me for what I want, which is a race sometime in late Jan or early Feb.

Brew - Definitely flying out to CA for a 5K

Kimba - I've never traveled more than an hour drive for these shorter races. Maybe now is the time to start! I searched in NJ, CT, and NY, and found nothing good. Guess I should be looking deeper into NE!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kimba

I typically won't travel far for races, either JMac, unless it's really special.  I did this race a few years back and I liked it.  It's very close to where I live so, if all is going well with my training at that time, I'll probably do this race.  If you decide to come up to do it let me know and I'd be happy to meet up with you!  I might even be able to get you a lead on a place to stay for cheap if you want to make a week-end of it.

Kim