Novice runner experiencing heel pain (Read 59 times)

Trungspark

Hi I'm new to the forum, so first off I just want to say hi

On to my problem. I've been following a 20 weeks training plan for a 3:30 FM  finish since the beginning of June. The first 6 weeks are base building, so I  run 5-10k easy  on Mon, Fri and Sat, 8k tempo on Tues and Thurs, and 21k moderate on Sun. Wed is either fully off, or a 500m swim, breast stroke. Since this Sunday I've noticed a slight pain in my lef Achilles, which would go away after a 1.6k warm up, and I was able to finish a 5k tempo at 10k pace no problem. When im not running my left heel is very tender, and wouls hurt a lot whenever I bump it into smth. Is this smth I should be worried and go see a therapist about.

Bit of background info: 'm a 36 years old male, 1,7m tall and hover between 66 and 68kg. I've been running for about a year and a half, although only seriously training since last September. My PRs are 3:47 for FM, 1:48 for HM, 48:48 for 10k, 23:45 for 5k and 6:36 for the mile. From last September to March this year I run on average 80k a week, with a 25k LR, one heavy interval and one 10k tempo workout without any problem.Then starting from April my country, Vietnam, got hit by the forth and worst wave of Covid, and our city went on full lock down,  for  2 full months, with any non essential excursions outside the house strictly discouraged. During the 2 months of April and May I got in like)

2 5k runs and a couple of stair work outs. I know I should hv done some strength trainings, but I didnt Sad so now I gotta rebuild my strentg

Thank you very much for your input, and i hope to be an active member of the community.

SMART Approach

The moral of your story is you don't a start a marathon plan after 2 months off of running. You go into a marathon plan fit, healthy and strong. Your body is talking to to you because your are over stressing it. I would not run for 1 week and evaluate. Walking and cross training is fine. Soak area with hot water (epsom)  before walks and in between. Be cautious with stretching. Also do a lot of one leg standing amd standing calf raises on the floor every other day as long as no pain.  If feeling good after a week take it easy another 2 weeks with gradual progression and good warm ups. Address this now as achilles and heel pain is nothing to mess with or you will be laid up a long time.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

Definitely sounds like overuse because you did not ramp up gradually.

Rest and recover, then ease back slowly..

BoutWorkout

Recovery. You rushed things that's why it hurts.

dhuffman63

Trails

If you have heel pain it could be a bone spur or PF.  What's your goal?  One and done on the marathon?  Do you intend to keep running for years?  If you want this to be a lifetime sport I suggest you rethink the marathon at this time and concentrate on slow build up to a large base.  None of the elite marathoners jumped into racing a marathon with just little over a year's worth of training.  They spent years building a base.  If all you want is one marathon then keep going as you are as by they time you are done you may likely be seriously injured and forced to take time off.  Pick a marathoner you look up to and research what they did to get where they are.  Likely they ran HS track/cross country and then college and they have an experienced coach.

I started with the couch to 5k program...did quite a few 5k races, then some 10k and then a couple of HM before I did a marathon.  Then I went on to ultramarathons....this took years as I wasn't a runner but I did ride horses competitively.  I want to keep doing ultramarathons and I'd still be doing them but I was in a car accident and hurt my back...it's been almost 2 years and I'm just now walking 30 min a day.  I do hope to still be able to do ultras but who knows.

Sit down and really think about what you want to do long term.  Take a week off and start back slowly.  There will be more marathons in the future.