Dear newcomers (Read 2570 times)

Julia1971

Julia - 

did you ever post a review of the Pfitz program? I'm about to kick it off the end of Dec for my next training round and would love to hear your thoughts. Direct me to the post if you did. Thanks!

I rambled on about it on page 26 of the sub-3:30 thread.  I was supposed to start a new training cycle last week but am letting myself recover a little longer.  When I do start in earnest, I've made some changes - I'm not going to run as long since I'm slower than what I think the plans are written for, I'm going to cut down the mileage on the taper since I think I've still felt tired come race day, and adjust the interval paces...  What's your next marathon? 

Kalsarikännit

Their style and presentation is.

Crap! I knew I should have gone with PowerPoint.

Also, I sure as heck don't fault anyone for coming over here. I took a look at their forums. What a train wreck.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

I did say first impressions, not that I knew the person. You don't know me either. I can say my first impression of you here isn't making me feel welcome either. That's perfectly all right. I can stay in the RW BF group and you won't be bothered by me nor benefit from my sparkling wit and wisdom.

Stop being petulant and just join in. In no way were you being rejected or marginalized. bhearn was just trying to welcome you and tell you how to best join our community. WrigleyGirl was telling you not to be a whiner ("waaaaaah, I don't feel welcome.....").

Good advice all around. Like WG said, you have been welcomed numerous times, if that's not good enough then go away. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Crap! I knew I should have gone with PowerPoint.

Also, I sure as heck don't fault anyone for coming over here. I took a look at their forums. What a train wreck.

No joke.

About this time in a spam invasion, we always get noobs that post 'all you have to do is report it. It's not that hard'. duh. Why didn't we think of that.

I rambled on about it on page 26 of the sub-3:30 thread.  I was supposed to start a new training cycle last week but am letting myself recover a little longer.  When I do start in earnest, I've made some changes - I'm not going to run as long since I'm slower than what I think the plans are written for, I'm going to cut down the mileage on the taper since I think I've still felt tired come race day, and adjust the interval paces...  What's your next marathon? 

Cool. 

I just did Philly and used the FIRST training guide, with some tweaks. I liked it pretty well, it took 12 minutes off my time. 

I'm looking forward to diving into the 18/70 program.

Next marathon: looking at the Jersey Shore marathon on May 5. I think it'll be great to run the Jersey Shore after Sandy did her damage. I grew up swimming those beaches, so it'll be cool to be there for a marathon. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stop being petulant and just join in. In no way were you being rejected or marginalized. bhearn was just trying to welcome you and tell you how to best join our community. WrigleyGirl was telling you not to be a whiner ("waaaaaah, I don't feel welcome.....").

Good advice all around. Like WG said, you have been welcomed numerous times, if that's not good enough then go away. 

^^^^^

FYI, this guy is one of THE nicest guys on the interwebs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'll just echo what has already been said.  Hi.

+1

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slice

I suddenly feel like I'm reading crap on BabyCenter forums and am waiting for a bunch of people to hairflip outta here. Hang on, let me go grab another beer and some popcorn. This could get good.

BTW - I completely agree with bhearn. We're glad you're here (Donate while you're at it!) but we're here because we like it the way it has been for years. And about the girl with the pontoons on her feet, that looks like a really pretty course. Flat, too.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

I don't expect RA to be like RWOL. Whether bhearn and WrigleyGirl are experienced and knowledgeable isn't relevant. Their style and presentation is. Words have meaning and power to convey ideas and thoughts. A mischosen or badly chosen word or turn of phrase can change intent. Feeling unwelcome may be my problem, but the path there was laid by others. I first felt like I was given an ultimatum, then given a dressing down because I expressed a contrary opinion that was specifically noted as a first impression that I was willing to set aside because of other responses.

welcome RWOL'ers. I'm lurking here for the past couple days reading all the RWOL posts. It's fun to understand character development and get to know the people you communicate with and will communicate with

tonight, you seem to be different than the others who have posted here in the past few days. It may be because of a few beers or a bad day / weekend or week. Regardless, enjoy yourself here. It's not worth making enemies with people. Especially when you're trying to understand the characters within these forums.

. Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Uhhhhh, I still have beer and cookies for everyone.  (And would even try making fudge for you, George.)  Just sayin'.  But I run mostly ultras.  So I don't really know anything.

Running is dumb.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Let's not start arguments here. So what if the RA folks don't want us cluttering their forums with our dailies thread and penguins thread and all that jazz? They have every right to express that opinion. We are squatting on their turf and we would do well to adopt a "when in Rome" philosophy. My experience here has been nothing but good so far and I have even ventured into topics that don't involve RW whatsoever. Part of integrating into a community is understanding the existing culture and adapting to it. That is all I think these folks want...and hopefully they understand that we tend to be a chatty bunch, but will try to keep the nonsense threads to our own corner of the site. Thanks RA folks for being willing to accept us. Smile

A Saucy Wench

I suddenly feel like I'm reading crap on BabyCenter forums and am waiting for a bunch of people to hairflip outta here. Hang on, let me go grab another beer and some popcorn. This could get good.

Breast feeding!  Formula feeding!  Breast feeding and cloth diapers!  Wait...where was I ?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

hopefully they understand that we tend to be a chatty bunch, but will try to keep the nonsense threads to our own corner of the site. Thanks RA folks for being willing to accept us. Smile

Hell, we're not even saying keep to your own corner.  We have TONS of chatty corners.  Find one that fits your needs.  Mingle away.  This is the lobby, the parties are in the side rooms. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

More warm fuzzies. It's almost like the rainbows and unicorns in the old RW BF. BTW WG wasn't telling me not to be a whiner, she was taking me to task for presumably attacking a well respected forum member. I can tell already I'm going to get along great with some of you assuming I stick around.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Julia1971

I think it'll be great to run the Jersey Shore after Sandy did her damage. I grew up swimming those beaches, so it'll be cool to be there for a marathon. 

Aw, that would be really meaningful.  Good luck with Pfitz!  Hmmm, I guess there will be a 2013 Sub 3:30 thread? ...