Race Medals --- Why? (Read 692 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

THIS!!!

It would be remiss at this point not to link medals 4 mettle, who recycle HM, marathon and tri medals and give to children and adults fighting severe illness or disability

http://www.medals4mettle.org/index.php

Don't just bin em, send them to a good cause.

I'm too bored to continue with the thread. But grab a medal and send it to these guys. It will make a kid smile, even if you didn't

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

I'm too bored to continue with the thread. But grab a medal and send it to these guys. It will make a kid smile, even if you didn't

If sending my medals to them makes me smile, is that ... total protonic reversal?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I've run several 5Ks a 5 miler and a 10K. The last 5K I placed 2nd overall and got first place in my age group and I still don't have any race medals! Big grin

I'm not complaining though, I got a prize bag with free stuff from each of the race sponsors and I'll get a medal in October when I finish my first HM.

Will run for scenery.

Or maybe they could make the finishers' medals out of chocolate.  Everybody wins:

Runner: don't want a momento ? Eat it!

RD : medals left over ? Eat them  ?

Kids who've never gotten a medal before ? Congratulations!  Now eat it !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

I agree. What a waste! Too much metal consumed! Is it iron? Quite heavy.  Here the 5K guys get a medal as well. I don't need a shirt either. I don't think I would ever wear it, full of sponsor names and it is not that comfortable to wear it.

Maybe they should give a choice on the registration and produce less.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Just thought I'd chime in to say if you don't want the medal, you don't have to take it.  You can politely say, "No, thank you" and keep walking.  I doubt the finish line volunteer will wrestle you to the ground and force you to wear it.  (Although, that mental image is funny).

Good point. Next time I won't take it and I hope they can reuse it for the next season. Sometimes they just change the design.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Feeling the growl again

The medals for my race are made of 100% recycled materials.

My head hurts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

fittestover40

Because we live in a feel good about yourself society where mediocrity is the goal.

What's worse than a participation medal is a bad award.  The first Triathlon I did I won the Masters category and there was no award. When I asked the director he said they wanted the money to go to the charity.  At another Tri I finished 2nd place overall and received a Coffee cup that had the Tri name on it but didn't even say 2nd place and the 3rd place guy received the same thing.  And I don't even drink coffee.  I went home and gave it away.  I would hate to have  somebody come over the house and say hey nice medal what place did you get and you have to say something like 293rd, it's just a participation medal.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

.. I would hate to have  somebody come over the house and say hey nice medal what place did you get and you have to say something like 293rd, it's just a participation medal.

Hey, I'd still be impressed, if it was for Hardrock or something.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I have won just one AG award.  My award was a pair of running socks.  My wife was very underwhelmed:  "Socks?"  Well, at least it's something useful.

Feeling the growl again

I have won just one AG award.  My award was a pair of running socks.  My wife was very underwhelmed:  "Socks?"  Well, at least it's something useful.

I used to run a race specifically for the socks.  True story.  Just raced in them tonight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hoodoo Guru

I'm sure the kids at medals 4 mettle will love these.

The medals for my race are made of 100% recycled materials.

My head hurts.

The tangents are moot.

I received this in the mail today:

They sent me this for completing two Rock&Roll races. The thing is, I already have a medal from each of those races, so... what exactly does this thing represent?

--

Nashville, TN

joescott

They sent me this for "completing" two Rock&Roll races.

You didn't take that there tired person's bus to the finish line, did you?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

joescott

jaxn, here is what is in your future:

And eventually:

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.