Run! (Read 185 times)

So I have read stories about it and today it happened... just cruising along this morning when I heard a bark from a dog... then it got closer... so I turned around, and holy shit there are 3 saint Bernard dogs, another medium sized dog, and a handful of small yapping ankle biters... the adrenaline kicked in, I kept running, they continued, I stopped and started chasing them once I gave chase and threatened them they backed off.  But damn I was pissed off.  Anyway it was a nice run other than that.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yikes!  The only dogs that have ever given me serious trouble while running were both doxies, oddly enough.  Used to have a young boxer that wanted to run with me and a lab puppy once jumped on me, but he was little and just wanted to be friendly.  The doxies were aggressive.  One tried to bite my calf, but fortunately his mouth was smaller than my generous, tights-clad legs.

BTW, love your username.  My parents' BFFs are Finnish Yoopers.  They lived in Rudyard when their boys were growing up.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Glad you didn't have any more problems than them following a bit.

There's a guy who lives in the same area as me. He has two Rotties who killed a runner's small dog last summer on the bike path. He had muzzles on the dogs for about a month and then quit muzzling them. I won't even run past him if I see him; I'll turn around and go a different way.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I like to run in a park near me.  Despite the by-law that all dogs have to be on a leash, this morning all the dog walkers decided to ignore it. I was plodding along, someone called their dog and all I saw was 100 pounds of Doberman running straight towards me. I stopped in my tracks and he bounded past me. Everyone around me laughed. 

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

jicama

Did we win?

Pack heat, or, at least, pepper spray.

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Ha... shoot someone's dog in the US and I would end up behind bars.

jicama

Did we win?

Ha... shoot someone's dog in the US and I would end up behind bars.

The laws governing the appropriate use of deadly force apply equally to dog attacks.  A justifiable shooting is just that.

2014 races"

2013 races:

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

I've got heat to pack.  Just never thought about packing it.  The dogs got me upset... then I started thinking about the coyotes and wolves we have in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  I do know I am no longer running with ear buds in when outside.  I am considering the pistol option.

Feeling the growl again

The laws governing the appropriate use of deadly force apply equally to dog attacks.  A justifiable shooting is just that.

This is not true.  The bar for shooting a human being is way higher than an animal.  In most locales, you could shoot a dog to prevent significant property damage (like attacking livestock or your dog).  Shoot a person doing the same thing and you'd better get comfy in prison.

Of course people can sue you for anything, and a dog-loving prosecutor may make you life miserable (and expensive) to clear yourself, so even being in the legal right can be a PIA.

Last year I came a couple inches from having a pit bull latch onto my throat; it was scary as hell.  I've considered packing heat next time by there, but I can't figure a way to to make it practical and frankly I'm not sure the potential legal hassle is worth it.  I'll probably pick up some bear spray for that sucker in case they didn't fix the issue with a chain.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jicama

Did we win?

This is not true.  The bar for shooting a human being is way higher than an animal.  [...] 

Last year I came a couple inches from having a pit bull latch onto my throat; it was scary as hell.  I've considered packing heat next time by there, but I can't figure a way to to make it practical [...]

My point wasn't that "if you can shoot a dog, you can shoot a man", my point was that you can use deadly force in self-defence if something/someone is attacking you with the intent to cause severe injury or death.

As far as the pit bull:

1. You're better off picking a different route than planning for a defensive encounter (the dog-loving prosecutor would love to say that you knew the dog was aggressive, yet you went back with a gun.  You must have been looking for trouble.  And, wow, those bullets had hollow points!)
                      2. I've heard that someone (Not me, I'd never do this. NSA, if you're listening...) wears a belly-band holster with his pistol slightly behind his/her right hip.  Very practical.
                      3. Pepper spray is really easy to carry and has stopped every aggressive dog that has closed on [the unnamed person in point 2].

2014 races"

2013 races:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Police kill pet dog

A rather sad story.