I want to run a marathon in under 4 hours and I'm struggling. (Read 278 times)

berylrunner

Rick

When one commits to mileage it can be done quickly with daily running,  doubles, maybe even triples. if you have the time.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

runnermacoy

Well I ran a Half Marathon today and got a new PB of 1:44 (my past PB was 1:51) I'm slowly getting better and it's thanks to the great advice you guys gave me. I really hope my progress will translate to a better time when I do my next full marathon!

watsonc123

Congrats on the PB.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Well I ran a Half Marathon today and got a new PB of 1:44 (my past PB was 1:51) I'm slowly getting better and it's thanks to the great advice you guys gave me. I really hope my progress will translate to a better time when I do my next full marathon!

Congratulations on a big PR.  With a 1:44, if you consistently run 70-80 km/week, sub 4 is almost a foregone conclusion.  To be consistent you need to train smart.  That means no stunts (like running 100 miles in a week), not too many short intervals, and adding some non running strength/stretching routines a couple of times during the week.

mikeymike

That's great--congrats!

Runners run

runnermacoy

Well I got another PB last night, this time for a 30KM. My new 30KM is 2:42. I did the Shakespeare Runs The Night 30K in Toronto, Canada.

My previous PB for 30KM was 2:49 so I shaved off 7 minutes.

How am I doing everyone? Am I still on course to get under 4 hours for a marathon? Thanks as always for all your help.

How am I doing everyone? Am I still on course to get under 4 hours for a marathon? Thanks as always for all your help.

First congrats on another PB, enjoy that feeling.  There may come a time when you wont be making such rapid progress.

How would other people's opinion help you run your goal?  You know the work that needs to be put in, and if you are doing better than that, you will be faster, if not you'll know what needs to be done for the next race.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Well I got another PB last night, this time for a 30KM. My new 30KM is 2:42. I did the Shakespeare Runs The Night 30K in Toronto, Canada.

My previous PB for 30KM was 2:49 so I shaved off 7 minutes.

Well, your half PB is equivalent to about a 2:32 30k, so you are showing signs of poor endurance (which is typical for most people who don't run sufficient mileage or haven't been running for a long time).  This suggests that you're going to have a hard time reaching your calculated equivalent for a marathon.

runnermacoy

It was extremely hot during the 30K and even some elite runners were struggling and got way below their PB's.

Cyberic

runnermacoy, please consider sharing your running log. I was maybe going to throw in something, but I needed to see a couple of months of data for that.

Just saying.

runnermacoy

In July, I ran 272 KM.

In June, I ran 280 KM.

I generally run 70 to 80 KM a week and do one big run weekly with lots of 10-15K runs on the other days.

That's all I really keep track of.

Cyberic

Some people get to race good marathons on that mileage. I have the same opinion as ilanarama, though,that  you should expect a slower time than what the race predictors will say. Not many people manage to run a marathon at the equivalent time given by those.

But at the end of the day, those are opinions, and you'll have your answer on race day.

Keep the training volume high, and have a realistic race day marathon time objective, and that's all you can really do.

Good luck!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Do you do any speed work or hard runs? If it’s all easy pace it’s going to take much longer to improve. If you’re currently running 70-80K/week comfortably you may benefit from speed work or some marathon effort runs during the week. I say this as someone who ran his first marathon in 3:56 then took about 33 minutes off with a very good plan and a very good marathon race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

berylrunner

Rick

Keep plugging away, i think you are on track.  Just build a big base.  Then add a few workouts and get your long runs in.  Doesn't have to be weekly.  I think a 3 week build, 1 week recovery works well.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

runnermacoy

Well guys I did it. Ran Chicago Marathon in 3:54 and I'm so proud!