my button is sticking on my garmin- UPDATE! (Read 1088 times)

My start/stop button has suddenly become "sticky". I have a hard time getting the button to depress, and sometimes can't stop the timer when I want to. I didn't spill anything on it, and can't seem to dislodge it. It's just over a year old. I want to see if maybe I can take the cover off and get a better look at the button, but I don't know if this is possible. Has anyone ever done this or had this problem with theirs?

an amazing likeness

I've had the same problem on a Forerunner 205/305. Actually I've had to replace two because of wearing the buttons out over time. For the buttons on the front (stop/start & lap/reset), I could sometimes get them to clear by using compressed air or wiggling them side-to-side -- it acted like there was dirt underneath it or something. But once the buttons on the sides start not working well, its all downhill from there. In my experience, Garmin customer support will offer you a flat-rate replacement when it finally fails.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

evtish

Since it's less than a year old, just call Garmin and they will give you an RT # to send it back and they will give you a replacement under warranty. I had a problem with mine after 4 months and the customer service was very good. You just need to find a box to put it in and pay for the validated receipt when you send it out. Good luck. Tom
          Since it's less than a year old, just call Garmin and they will give you an RT # to send it back and they will give you a replacement under warranty. I had a problem with mine after 4 months and the customer service was very good. You just need to find a box to put it in and pay for the validated receipt when you send it out. Good luck. Tom
          nah, its over a year old. unless i call them and fudge a little bit. i dont have a receipt cuz it was a present. think they can tell by serial number or something??

an amazing likeness

cewickbe -- Garmin customer service will often offer a no-charge replacement or flat-rate (like $79) replacement for out of warranty devices. My experience has been that it is worth calling, describing the problem and asking what you should do.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I must confess that I misread the title as "my butt is sticking on my Garmin" and got a good chuckle!

TRUST THE PROCESS

flatland mountaineer

Go to the auto parts store and buy a can of spray electrical contact cleaner, DO NOT use battery post cleaner. I do it on the buttons of my sports watch all the time as they get dirt and sweat in them. Disclaimer I have no reason to believe this won't damage your garmin but if it does your on your own Smile.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

kcam

Had the same problem on my 1st 205. 'Cept it was the down arrow button. Eventually, it and the 'enter' button wouldn't work at all. I did take mine apart and tried the electrical contact cleaner to try and free it up but no dice. They were just plain worn out. Bought another 205 (and a 305) and I now avoid using the buttons as much as possible to lengthen the life. How do I do this you might ask?! I never go back after a run and scroll through history to check paces/splits etc. I turn the thing off and wait till I upload the data to check stuff like that. I also download 'workouts' to my x05 rather than program it on the x05.
                    Turns out, hubby busted the front of the garmin off (it winds up breaking the waterproof seal so I wouldn't recommend it) but was able to take the button off and clean it. It definitely had a run-in with some kind of sweet smelling sugary slime. We got it all cleaned up, put the face back on and tried it out. Apparently, now the sound is gone! hahaha. I dont really care if the buttons make the noise or not. I did have some trouble getting it to charge afterwards, but I had that problem before and think it might just be the way the contacts are connecting. Instead of staying at the charging screen, it turns itself on and sits at the main screen. I havent tried it on a run, but as long as I can get it to charge, I think it will be fine. Thanks for all the responses
                    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Instead of staying at the charging screen, it turns itself on and sits at the main screen.
                      When it does this, try holding it in the cradle and turning it off. It should return to the charging screen. I've had mine do this from time to time and it works for me.
                        Thank you, I will try that. The other night I had to put 2 trivets on top of it just to get it to stay charging. I guess there's not enough weight to hold it to the sensors. Either that, or I make my husband sit there and hold it down while he watches tv! Whatever works right?

Menace to Sobriety

ditto on the contact cleaner

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

325th place or bust!

cewickbe -- Garmin customer service will often offer a no-charge replacement or flat-rate (like $79) replacement for out of warranty devices. My experience has been that it is worth calling, describing the problem and asking what you should do.
                            I recently sent mine in to fix a screen that no longer worked. It cost about $105 total to repair/replace. A new one at Costco would have been $172 (w/tax). p.s. make sure you've either memorized or written down your display fields before you do this because when I got mine back I couldn't remember what displays I had before. Sad

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

As of right now, mine is held together by rubber bands! I realized once you take the screen off, the goo that holds it together is destroyed and unless it has a nice tight connection between both pieces, it doesn't work right. Hence all the problems I was having with no sound, and not being able to charge it properly. Once I find a glue I can brush on, I will attempt to glue the pieces back together. For now, the rubber bands are holding it rather well, but I havent tried it on a run yet to see if the satellite got messed up at all.
                              salamo

Link spam - none of the links relate to the message text.