Loch Ness Marathon quickie report (Read 835 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Short story: Everything I'd hoped for. Jaw-dropping scenery, perfect weather, a good strong pace to the finish, and a cool shirt and medal: 3:49:00, my third fastest marathon, and a nice rebound after New Mexico. Now I must find a pub and drink some ale.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, I am SO jealous! Awesome shirt and equally cool medal! We Scots do it better! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, I am SO jealous! Awesome shirt and equally cool medal! We Scots do it better! Big grin k
        I think it was the haggis!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

I think it was the haggis!
          haggis Dead Congrats on the finish - that really is an awesome shirt and medal Smile How many marathons have you run this year? The New Mexico hardware was really cool too.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks. That's 12 this year, probably more than I should have done, but they've all been great experiences. BTW Zoomie, you're right, Scots do it better. Everything here has been first-rate, except for one thing. Why do you have separate hot and cold taps in the sinks? That's just inconvenient!

very cool! I love the medal and the t-shirt! congrats on a great time and hope those beers taste better than ever. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why do you have separate hot and cold taps in the sinks? That's just inconvenient!
                I think that must be a British thing. I did a semester in London and even fully modern houses there had the separate taps. Really archaic. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Most awesome, Russ! Twelve marathons this year?!? I don't know if I could even run 1!

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

The Plodder

Wow that looks great - never been to Scotland in my life (but want to) As a Brit can definitely confirm that in the vast majority of bathrooms (private and public) in the UK you will find separate hot and cold taps - handily coloured red for hot and blue for cold

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice job, Russ! Sounds like a great race, congrats! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

freckles

Oi. Stop slagging Scottish taps! I like my seperate taps just the way they are!!! P.S well done on the marathon!!! Big grin

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

Jeffrey

Congratulations on your Loch Ness Marathon! It appears you are a destination marathon veteran. Question for you about the international travel which assumes you live in usa. How many days prior to the race did you arrive? Did you stay in Inverness? Thanks!

Imminent Catastrophe

Congratulations on your Loch Ness Marathon! It appears you are a destination marathon veteran. Question for you about the international travel which assumes you live in usa. How many days prior to the race did you arrive? Did you stay in Inverness? Thanks!
                            Yes, I live in the USA. I'd say you need to get there a couple of days early to allow for jet lag and flight delays. I've wanted to visit Scotland (especially the Highlands) for many years, and the race gave me another reason. Since it was also a vacation we arrived in Edinburgh on Oct 2, spent some time there, then traveled to Inverness on the 5th. After all, we're going all that way, might as well see Edinburgh too (WELL worth the time). BTW I've learned some Scottish history, and some famous Scots: FAMOUS SCOTS: Big grin Wink Big grin Wink Big grin Wink Big grin Wink

LOL at Zoomie, Nessie, and Fat Bastard in the same list ! Big grin
                              2009: BQ?
                                Hey Perfesser, I was never really good with numbers, I wonder if you would be so kind as to check my math? 12 x 26.2 = incredible PerfesserR
                                LOL at Zoomie, Nessie, and Fat Bastard in the same list ! Big grin
                                Just to be on the safe side, you might want to duck and run for cover. Big grin

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.