Perils of being a band geek (Read 921 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I run with a iPod Shuffle, randomly playing upbeat tunes from an upbeat playlist. I don't usually run to the beat, as most pop/rock/dance music goes about 125~140 beats per minute, whereas I run around 160~180 bpm, depending on intensity. But every now and then, a moment of synchronicity occurs and a tune comes up that's right at the pace I'm running. That's when the trouble starts. See, I was in marching band. From junior high all the way through college. For a band geek, it's not enough to match the tempo of the music -- you have to be in step with it. That means left foot and beats 1 and 3, right foot on beats 2 and 4. Whether I'm walking to the beat or running to the beat, once I realize I'm out of step, I quickly do some sort of weird shuffle/skip/pause/hop maneuver to get back in step. I can't not do it. I don't know how to stop. I'll even do it if I'm walking and thinking a song -- there's a compulsive need to have my feet lined up properly with the beat. Well, today it caught up with me, and I honestly can't believe it didn't happen sooner -- I was feverishly doing the shuffle/skip/pause/hop and I frickin' tripped and fell. Blush Wiped out pretty hard. Fortunately, I was on grass at the time, so the only wounds were to my pride. So the next time you see someone running and they suddenly break from normal stride in a seizure-like manner, realize that they have either seen a snake, or they too are afflicted with the incurable disease of band geekitis.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gah, I do this and I'm not even a band geek (well, except for the tripping part. I have no clue how I have managed to run ~1k miles in the past year without any tripping incidents. Crap, now I bet I've jinxed myself. Nuts.)...but I probably would have been if I'd gone for percussion instead of lamo clarinet back in 7th grade! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

"Once, at band camp.."
          I also marched all through college, and I've never had this trouble - but I tend to not run to the beat of any music. However, now that it's been mentioned the odds that I faceplant tomorrow have increased by 200%.

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh man, me too, and I haven't been in the band since the Carter administration. Or else if I see a show where they're not in step it drives me nuts.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Your not alone. I have to run in time whether or not it's at the pace I need to be training. Hence, I rarely bring music. I can't remember the last time that I stepped off with the right foot. Whether it be every day walking, running, playing basbeall, or even biking, I've got to start with the left.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I can't remember the last time that I stepped off with the right foot. Whether it be every day walking, running, playing basbeall, or even biking, I've got to start with the left.
                Know what you mean. When I go up a flight of stairs, I'm always counting the steps, and I always start with the left. If I catch myself in the middle of a flight and I realize I'm out of step, I'll stop and start over again just to get my left foot on the odd steps. It's like being frickin' Rain Man, only without the intelligence and stuff.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

but I probably would have been if I'd gone for percussion instead of lamo clarinet back in 7th grade!
                  Well, you picked being a musician over being a drummer. Not a bad choice. *ducks in case there are any concussionists here at RA throwing their sticks*