I think Asics is screwing with me. (Read 1732 times)

pitrunner

Pitrunner, that's weird, I find them to have the lowest heel of any shoes I've owned so far, which is one of the other reasons I love them so much. I swear, when I tried them on, I was reminded of my Earth Shoe days and their negative heels. Maybe give them another try on wearing your Asics first. Oh, and they're perceptibly lighter than the 21xx's as well, another great perk.
    Thanks for the input. My local running store is having a ladies night next week so I'm definitely going to try them again. Even if the heel does feel different to me, I'm sure it's something I could get used to.
      Hmm reading this has me worried now. I was just about to order a pair of 2130s, but now I'm afraid they won't be comfortable Sad
      RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Curious to what people don't like about the DST's this year? You're talking about the green ones with the asymmetrical uppers? I've used the DST for years and I have two pairs of this year's model and they seem OK to me (have ~700 miles on one pair and ~300 on the second, so I do have a little experience there!). Last year's was good too so it won't bother me if they go back!
        For me, the DST13 is a significantly better shoe than the DTS12, which just were terrible. Both are not as good as the DST11. Plus they still run short. I have to get a full size larger than all my other shoes. Next year's DST14 will return to the sizing used prior to the DST12. I find that the DST13 still does not fit as well as my beloved DST11s, which I used to use for speed work and races upto HM distance. The upside is the additional cushioning and support for longer runs. So, I use the DST13 for most easy and long runs. They offer the same stability as my GT2130s, which I hardly wear as they are too stiff. My first pair were dead at ~400miles but I ran another 50 or so and my knees felt it. My 2nd pair seem flat after ~200 miles but I have put more long runs on them. This year I'll be running my first marathon in the DST13s. I still do speed work in DST11s (found some on clearance) and also Gel Banditos. I liked the GT2080 and 2090 but the 2120 and 2130 are way too stiff, which results in PF.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Ostrich runner

The Kayano's aren't as good as they used to be. Ever since Asics came out with the Kinsei, and now the Kinsei 2, the Kayano seems to have taken a back seat in the mix. They don't look nearly as beefy as they used to. Mind you some runners prefer that.
          I haven't run in the Kayano 14, but the 13s were way too beefy, and much more so than previous editions. I think they made the 14s slightly more flexible, but added even more padding. The flexibility would be nice, as it took 250 miles before I even felt like I had broken in my 13s.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

an amazing likeness

I have to agree with this thread's title -- Asics is screwing with me. Just passed 100 miles in a set of GT2130, my 11th pair of GT2xxx. They (GT2130) suck for me. To air my grievances: 1. forefoot cushioning is horrid. 2. the toe area is weak -- my foot moves around. Feels like you can't ever tie them tight enough. 3. something is going on in the heel control -- after just 100 miles, I've worn holes in both sides of the ankle cushioning. I now have a couple week old pair of GT2130s that will join the pile of wear-while-mowing shoes, they're done.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Best Present Ever

I have to agree with this thread's title -- Asics is screwing with me. Just passed 100 miles in a set of GT2130, my 11th pair of GT2xxx. They (GT2130) suck for me. To air my grievances: 1. forefoot cushioning is horrid. 2. the toe area is weak -- my foot moves around. Feels like you can't ever tie them tight enough. 3. something is going on in the heel control -- after just 100 miles, I've worn holes in both sides of the ankle cushioning. quote> I hadn't noticed the first two, but have experienced point 3 -- what's with that?? I've never had shows where out there before. I just tossed that pair, thinking that it was some aberration, rather than rotate them down to gym shoes.
                Had several pairs of the 2110s, worked great. One pair of the 2120s that felt too hard or sturdy. Have now went through two pairs of the 2130s and in my opinion they have fixed what they screwed up with the 2120s. The 2120s were not out very long so I assumed that they had made a mistake. By reviewing this thread it appears that many people also don't like the 2130s.
                  I haven't run in the Kayano 14, but the 13s were way too beefy, and much more so than previous editions. I think they made the 14s slightly more flexible, but added even more padding. The flexibility would be nice, as it took 250 miles before I even felt like I had broken in my 13s.
                  I have run in Kayano's since the 11's. Each model had its pros and cons, but I still really liked each shoe overall. Now I have 70 miles on my new Kayano 14's and I HATE them. I have hated them from day one but really hoped they would break in (even though none of my previous models needed breaking in). Now I am going to have to find a new shoe. Cry

Ostrich runner

Funny thing is, once I finally broke my 13s in, I started to really like them. I'm guessing I'll put at least 600 on them before they're hung up.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I wanted to revive this thread since have felt that the toe box is noticeably wider on the 2130 than 2120. I have recently dealt with pain on the top of my instep which was a result of tightening the laces too much trying to get the toe box to feel right. I am also noticing more discomfort on my big toe after long runs, so I am not sure I am getting the same stability I was used to in the 2120. It looks like I will have to shop for a new shoe this time around. It's so nice to find something you love and then be able to find it online at the best price. Any other thoughts on comparable models from Asics, Saucony, or Mizuno. Those are brands I have a past comfort level with.

"I aim to misbehave."

pitrunner

IAny other thoughts on comparable models from Asics, Saucony, or Mizuno. Those are brands I have a past comfort level with.
                        I've been on quite an extensive shoe hunt ever since the 2130's broke my heart. The best replacements I've found so far are Brooks Adrenaline and Saucony Progrid Omni (got a super deal from a fellow RAer!). The Adrenalines are wider than the 2120's and I have to lace them sorta tight - they might not be the best choice considering the problem you mentioned above. The Progrid Omni's have been great though. I tried the Mizuno Wave Inspires on the treadmill at my running store, and I just wasn't feeling enough arch support at all. Hope this helps. Keep us updated with what you find!
                        Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I was an Asics fan for years. I moved from the Kayano to the Nimbus and they were great...... until the last model. Toe box had narrowed and the arch seems to have got higher. I went for a 10 miler and struggled after about 3mile with blisters on my arch. Really dissappointed. Will never buy another pair of Asics. Nike done something similar way back! Why do they do this? Im now wearing Saucony Grid Hurricane. Cant fault them but due to upgrade shortly. Fingers crossed!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I find that I pretty much have to start over every two years or so as the shoe models change.
                            Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

flatland mountaineer

You, your feet and your gait can also change over time. Whe I first, first got back into running as an adult...like 9 years ago now I guess...the Asics GT2xxx series was perfect for me. Now they would just about put me in the hospital.
                              Did your gait change lead to needing less stability?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

I also have worn Asic's for year, 2110's 2120's and Kayano's. I am on my third pair of Kayano's. I have about 70 miles on them, on my last long run my arch's hurt at about mile 5. When I finished my run and took off my shoes, my arch's were screaming for the rest of the day. WTF, they cost a small fortune and I can't wear them! I have run just small amounts so far this week. I went to the shoe store to look at insole and the clerk showed me the difference between the men's insole and women's insole. The men's is much sturdier and has more cushion. She emailed Asic's and got a pair of the men's insole for her shoes. I am going to try that. In the mean time I am replacing the insole with the one's you heat in the oven for form to your shoe. I can't believe I have to go on a shoe hunt again. I have tried every brand to find something I am comfortabel in. At least I am not the only one having this issue with them, I know it can't be me.