Muscle "Lengthening" Exercises? (Read 254 times)

My PT insists that stretching for less than 60 seconds accomplishes very little, if anything.  It's just boring.

L Train

I thought this thread was going to improve my Mrs. Train's sex life.  I don't think so.

I thought this thread was going to improve my Mrs. Train's sex life.  I don't think so.

There's only one direction this thread will go from here :-)

L.Chang

Thanks for the feedback!  So by long, static stretches you mean doing activities like Yoga? This is what I have been doing, and I've incorporated ballet into my workout when I'm not running.

It is very difficult to hold stretches and it's only when I try that I realize how much I need to work on being flexible. However, as with anything, I suppose (and have been told) that stretching requires practice and pushing yourself without hurting yourself.

Thanks for the feedback!  So by long, static stretches you mean doing activities like Yoga? This is what I have been doing, and I've incorporated ballet into my workout when I'm not running.

It is very difficult to hold stretches and it's only when I try that I realize how much I need to work on being flexible. However, as with anything, I suppose (and have been told) that stretching requires practice and pushing yourself without hurting yourself.

Doesn't have to be yoga. Just statically hold each stretch for what seems like eternity (2 to 3 minutes).  It's not difficult. Just boring.

It's good you don't incorporate the ballet while running -- that would just be weird. TIC

quagga

Most yoga disciplines do not have you hold poses for five minutes. There is one style of yoga that does - yin yoga.

L.Chang

Most yoga disciplines do not have you hold poses for five minutes. There is one style of yoga that does - yin yoga.

It's great that you mention this, because I recently found Yin yoga while downloading Youtube yoga exercises. I've only done Vinyasa and am seeing a big difference between it and Yin (in a good way).

L.Chang

Doesn't have to be yoga. Just statically hold each stretch for what seems like eternity (2 to 3 minutes).  It's not difficult. Just boring.

It's good you don't incorporate the ballet while running -- that would just be weird. TIC

Ballet + running = new (perhaps dangerous) sport!