Need recommendation: Neutral shoe with roomy toebox (Read 127 times)

Jimmy.W

I've worn Hoka Bondis for years and now have the Bondi 6s.  However, I now find that I could use a little more room in the toe box. I wear an 11 D, which already is about a half-size up. I tried the Wide version of the Bondi, but they resulted in a little too much heel slip. I'd like a neutral shoe with good cushioning, which can accommodate orthotics. But, I'd really like a little more room in the toe box. Thanks!

dhuffman63

Trails

Altra or Topos work for me.  Can't remember what the drop is on the Bondi's but Altra is a 0 drop.  I switch between different brands 5 mm to 0 mm drop throughout the week.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My son has super jacked-up gait (flat feet, but supinates and both feet turn to the right) and runs in Saucony Echelons (he has a previous model). His feet are on the narrow side, but he wears some of the really cushioned Superfeet and they still have tons of room. These come in regular, wide, and super wide widths for guys.

I also hate when wide shoes have wide heels. Most of us with wide feet don't have wide heels. I'm a chick with wide feet and usually have good luck with men's shoes, but sometimes I struggle with heel slipping, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Get 'em while you can:

Skechers MaxRoad 3

Good cushioning

Lighter than Cliftons

Roomy toebox

Durable (500+ mile shoe for me)

Discontinued, replaced by MaxRoad4 which is narrower and tighter and less cushioned (imitating Hoka, I guess). Also with a questionable upper.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I also hate when wide shoes have wide heels. Most of us with wide feet don't have wide heels. I'm a chick with wide feet and usually have good luck with men's shoes, but sometimes I struggle with heel slipping, too.

Right?!  I have a wide forefoot and a narrow heel.  Shoe shopping is so difficult.  Regular width shoes don't fit, but when you go up to a wide, then the heel area is way too big.  I also sometimes wear men's shoes, but that's not always a guaranteed solution.

Running is dumb.

neutral shoe, good cushioning, roomy toe box. 

Brooks Ghost fits this description, and is one of the most popular shoes out there.

Dave

Altra or Topos work for me.  Can't remember what the drop is on the Bondi's but Altra is a 0 drop.  I switch between different brands 5 mm to 0 mm drop throughout the week.

I'm with you on Altra as a good choice for wide toe box. But the heel feels a bit wide and slippy, at when it comes to the Duo. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Get 'em while you can:

Skechers MaxRoad 3

Agree. Good shoe. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

undue monkey

Great shoe. Had a heck of a time finding something for my wife and it was a lifesaver.

Brooks Ghost fits this description, and is one of the most popular shoes out there.

tomatolover

I suggest brooks Launch... I have a very narrow heel but wide toe splay and these are my number one shoes.

Ps: they’re one of the cheapest running shoes out there

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I suggest brooks Launch... I have a very narrow heel but wide toe splay and these are my number one shoes.

Ps: they’re one of the cheapest running shoes out there

I have a pair of the Launch and I like them except I'm between sizes...11.5 is just a bit short and 12 just a bit long. May be in part due to my long second toe.  Otherwise, great shoe; firm but not minimalist, room in the toe box, nice heel grip.

Cyberic

NB 890V6 (the v7 have completely changed, but I have not tried them)

Saucony Kinvara 10

dhuffman63

Trails

The Altra Torin has a narrow heal and a wide toe.  Good cushioning too.

Hobie1

Get 'em while you can:

Skechers MaxRoad 3

Good cushioning

Lighter than Cliftons

Roomy toebox

Durable (500+ mile shoe for me)

Discontinued, replaced by MaxRoad4 which is narrower and tighter and less cushioned (imitating Hoka, I guess). Also with a questionable upper.

Agreed.  I have two pair and they are rather amazing.

Agreed.  I have two pair and they are rather amazing.

After a few runs I can attest that the MaxRoad4 upper is narrower and tighter across the toebox than the previous version. And because it's a one-piece knit, you can't do anything about it. They aren't quite Hoke-tight, but close. My toes are definitely getting pinched together, especially my little toe. Not sure if a half size larger would be better, but might.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying