Training for 2 Half Marathons a month apart (Read 75 times)

DantheMan

Forward planning me was plotting out my training for a series of races occurring within the next 52 weeks. The last two half-marathons are only 4 weeks apart. How does one prepare for that?

On a side note: I wish there was a better way to search the threads because I am sure that this topic has been covered before but I am at a loss to find it.

BOOLEAN Blah.

-Find your happy pace.

I did this last year and what worked for me was::

First Week after First Half:  I took it as a recovery week....I ran less miles than normal and I ran easier than normal.  

Second Week:   I resumed my normal training with a long run on Sunday (probably 13 to 15 but dont remember)

Third Week:       Normal training again, but only 8 or 10 miles for my Sunday run and I ran it really easy

Race Week:     About like the first week.....lighter load and a little recovery and get ready to race

We're all different so you have to figure this stuff out for yourself, but this is what worked for me......something similar work for you I'm sure..

Champions are made when no one is watching

Half Crazy K 2.0

I did 2 3 weeks apart this spring. Do not do what I did. The first half was initially my goal race, #2 was back up if the weather sucked. It did, gale force winds on race day. My intention was to then treat half #1 as a long run & run at HM pace when conditions allowed.  I ran it too fast. Then I stupidly jumped into trying to do speedwork the following weekend. My legs were unhappy for the next 2 weeks and during race #2. My time wound up being almost exactly the same in both races. I'm not a high mileage runner, so this was a lot for me.

kilkee

runktrun

I think it depends on the frequency and length of your long runs during your buildup.  If you run longer than 13mi most weekends without trouble, then I'd say don't alter your training much between the two half marathons other than some extra easy days after the first week.  If your training has been a slow buildup to 13 as your longest run, then I think you should take the week following the first race as a recovery week.  If you are super sore, don't run until the soreness has resolved, then run mostly easy runs the second week, with some striders and a few short, fast reps to keep your legs snappy.  The third week, try a medium long run (compared to your long runs during your buildup) in the middle of the week, and a short run or two at your goal HM pace.  The fourth week should be a mini taper.  Basically, if your first half goes well, you can pretty much ride that fitness into the second race.  Don't try to "cram" more workouts into your training to try to improve for the second half.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

DantheMan

Thanks guys!

-Find your happy pace.

CT JEFF

a month apart is a good spread. I did like 4 Halfs between April and May this year. Some races I went out thinking "im not 100%" - So I cant say that I RACED any of them. But I felt I did good on (almost) every one.  - I did a "double challenge" one day with 3.1 just before the 13.1 - The roads were bad and wet and cold. I limped in the final 2 miles. I hadnt trained up for the extra miles, and there were hills. But 1 month is good.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!