The Booze and Waffle Thread, Long Live The Wild Wild West (Read 401 times)

>PBR Hard Coffee

So: which one won? The alcohol or the caffeine?

You can find better booze and better coffee, but togethet? Home run

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

>You can find better booze and better coffee, but togethet? Home run

I was trying to find out whether you ended up buzzed or alert, but agree it's a home run at least in concept (have yet to drink one).

rlopez

PBR Hard Coffee is not what you think it is. I expected coffee-flavored (bad) beer.

Nope.

It is basically Yoohoo. And five minutes after you drink one, you're like "hmm, there was something else in that. Whoa."

I kind of like it. Sells ok.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Good to know. I accidentally drank tequila-spiked coffee at work once (I'd forgotten the T was in there) and had a similarly puzzled reaction a couple minutes into it. "Wow. This tastes kind of different... oh, wait, that's RIGHT..."

rlopez

Oh, since we have now hit August, this means Oktoberfest beers are arriving! The best time of beer year!

Thanks to covid shutting down bars and taprooms (including the one I work at sometimes), breweries had to change their production schedules around *** and some skipped their "end of summer" beers and went for Oktoberfest a few weeks early. We started getting some US versions in mid/late July. Whut.

*** And now there's an impeding can shortage, but that's a different topic.

mikeymike

Connecting the dots between seasonal beers and the lack of an agreed upon difference between porters and stouts, last time my oldest daughter was over she brought me a 4-pack of London Calling Porter from Lamplighter Brewing even though it wasn't porter season because she knows I love the only band that matters. I drank one and I think I liked it but the other three have been in there for like 3 weeks because it's just not porter season.

Runners run

Connecting the dots between seasonal beers and the lack of an agreed upon difference between porters and stouts, last time my oldest daughter was over she brought me a 4-pack of London Calling Porter from Lamplighter Brewing even though it wasn't porter season because she knows I love the only band that matters. I drank one and I think I liked it but the other three have been in there for like 3 weeks because it's just not porter season.

Sorry, it's ALWAYS porter season. I would be happy to take those other three off your hand.

Dave

rlopez

I had a guy come in last week asking me "what do you have new in Imperial stouts?" Not just a mid-summer stout, but an imperial one.

With the heat index, it was like 250 outside at the time.

(so I showed him barrel aged Narwhal, which I've actually had for awhile but, sure dude, "new")

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry, it's ALWAYS porter season. I would be happy to take those other three off your hand.

How are you living in the PNW when you say it is PORTER season? It's always "IPA" season in the PNW. Session IPA, Hazy IPA, Milkshake IPA, Juicy IPA, Double IPA, India IPA. You ask for a Coors Light and they reply with "Ah American Lager IPA."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

How are you living in the PNW when you say it is PORTER season? It's always "IPA" season in the PNW. Session IPA, Hazy IPA, Milkshake IPA, Juicy IPA, Double IPA, India IPA. You ask for a Coors Light and they reply with "Ah American Lager IPA."

This is correct, and it's the bane of my existence. It's all IPA all the time around here. I posted this somewhere else, but if you go to a bar, out of every 10 taps, 9 of them are IPAs. Not even exaggerating. I've only lived here about 5 years and didn't even really like them before, but I'd only had limited exposure and eventually they kind of grew on me. But my first choice is always a porter or stout, and yes I'll drink an imperial in the summer. Haters, hate away.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

*** And now there's an impeding can shortage, but that's a different topic.

Apparently the can shortage is hitting Diet Coke the hardest in my area. There were no cases of narmal cans in the grocery store, all other sodas were stocked.

rlopez

But my first choice is always a porter or stout, and yes I'll drink an imperial in the summer. Haters, hate away.

Well, hold on a second. Don't hate the player. I teach all our employees (whether working beer, spirits, or wine) that people "like what they like". It wasn't that the cat wanted to drink an imperial stout during the hottest day of the year... it's that he wanted me to show him "what's new" as if I was out procuring all those tasty imperial stouts that breweries make in July and August. Or, even more specifically, as if breweries are coming out with new ones during this season. That part of the equation is not really a thing.

Now, as for IPA, I assure you that this isn't specific to the PNW, no no no.

If you want a mindbender, I had someone come in Wednesday and asked what I had for a "session dipa". That is something.

(for those who don't know, session = "lower in alcohol", and dipa = "double ipa" which invariably means more alcohol)

Well, hold on a second. Don't hate the player. I teach all our employees (whether working beer, spirits, or wine) that people "like what they like". It wasn't that the cat wanted to drink an imperial stout during the hottest day of the year... it's that he wanted me to show him "what's new" as if I was out procuring all those tasty imperial stouts that breweries make in July and August. Or, even more specifically, as if breweries are coming out with new ones during this season. That part of the equation is not really a thing.

No, I totally got the gist of your post, and my comment was mostly sort of tangential to it.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you want a mindbender, I had someone come in Wednesday and asked what I had for a "session dipa". That is something.

appropriate response:

See the source image

Pretty sure I heard a guy say a Sierra Nevada is an IPA. First off, no Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is NOT an India Pale Ale. Secondly, Have you heard about their barrel aged Narwhal IPA? You gotta try it. Its super rare. Oh and after that try this Dark Lord IPA. It's killer.

Fantasy Factory still has my favorite label for a beer. If only they could make it into a medal for a race. Points for recreating it in real life too.

session IPA is equal to running a 5k marathon. To keep it running focused.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

(for those who don't know, session = "lower in alcohol", and dipa = "double ipa" which invariably means more alcohol)

Clearly he wanted a standard IPA.  (2 * 1/2 = 1) Or a Belgian Quad.  Wink

The Stout I discovered this winter was "Expedition Stout" from Bell's.  Russian Imperial (10.5%).  Wish it wasn't seasonal, but maybe that's for the best.  Still cannot wait for the cold weather to return, and with it this beer.

Possibly common story: At the time I had no idea what "Quad" meant.  Discovered St. Bernardus Abt 12 on tap.  I was in a Belgian phase early in my beer life.  I was in love.  Had three in quick succession (since they were soooo small).  Then I discovered I couldn't help stumbling over my words.  My discussion-mates let me in on the little fact that I basically just downed a six-pack in a half hour.  My mates had to walk me home.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do