Age graded milestone (Read 1312 times)

"This blogger would add that age-grading varies considerably for different events - and for the two sexes. It's not unusual for older sprinters to record age grades in the high 90s or even over 100%. On the other hand, I'm not sure a male distance runner has ever recorded a road race age grade of 100%."

Isn't Age grading based on pct of how close a runner is to the world record for that age? 

So how could anyone get above a 100%?  If you set a age grade world record then I would think you would be 100% and reset the baseline. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

This looks pretty cool but when I tried the link I don't get any accomodation for my age.  There should be a special comparison for me at 34 and 192 pounds comparing to me at 19 and 160 pounds.
        This looks pretty cool but when I tried the link I don't get any accomodation for my age.  There should be a special comparison for me at 34 and 192 pounds comparing to me at 19 and 160 pounds.

i think the AG baseline is 34 so your screwed  You guys are supposed to be fast so no extra for you.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

here you go.

http://academic.udayton.edu/PaulVanderburgh/weight_age_grading_calculator.htm

Isn't Age grading based on pct of how close a runner is to the world record for that age? 

no.

here you go.

thanks!

Awesome...I broke 17 for 5K.  Looks like I need to eat more...

here you go.

Interesting idea but the weight variable is meaningless without considering height. Who's thinner, someone who is 6 ' and 160 lbs or someone 5' 6'' and 150?

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Interesting idea but the weight variable is meaningless without considering height. Who's thinner, someone who is 6 ' and 160 lbs or someone 5' 6'' and 150?

I have never seen a 180 pound elite marathon runner, regardless of height.  I don't think the weight variable is meaningless. 

IMO It isn't about who is the thinest.  Weight is an undenyable factor in the finish time if all other factors are controlled.  But I defer to your experience and greater achievements in running. 

If a stocky muscular guy of 5'6 and 170 pounds has been training 50 miles a week for 2 years and a thin built guy of 6'6" and 170 pounds has been doing identical training... then who wins?  I don't know.  But I expext they have damn near the same time even though one guy has a BMI of 19 and another guy a BMI of 26 or something like that. 

I have never seen a 180 pound elite marathon runner, regardless of height.  I don't think the weight variable is meaningless. 

IMO It isn't about who is the thinest.  Weight is an undenyable factor in the finish time if all other factors are controlled.  But I defer to your experience and greater achievements in running. 

If a stocky muscular guy of 5'6 and 170 pounds has been training 50 miles a week for 2 years and a thin built guy of 6'6" and 170 pounds has been doing identical training... then who wins?  I don't know.  But I expext they have damn near the same time even though one guy has a BMI of 19 and another guy a BMI of 26 or something like that. 

Hey Doug,

I said it was meaningless "without considering height". Of course weight is important. The calculator that the link points to asks for weight without wanting to know the runner's height. Imo it is extremely important to know both if you want to include weight as a variable.

In the example you gave I say that the 6'6" guy who weighs 170 will destroy a 5' 6" guy at the same weight if they are similarly trained and close to equal in ability. I'll concede, however, that height can become a liablility if it is too extreme. Six-six starts to approach that point. But when we are talking a more normal range of 5' 4" - 6' 3" for male distance runners, the guy with the lower BMI has a huge adavantage.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

the authors of the validation study do agree that height should be investigated. 

http://academic.udayton.edu/PaulVanderburgh/VandenburghDec06.pdf

"We have received feedback from runners and exercise scientists inquiring why neither height nor body mass index (BMI: weight/height2) were used in the 5KH. First, we know of no empirical data examining the relationship between BMI or height and distance running performance. Second, neither height nor BMI has been adequately modeled for distance running in the research literature. BW, as discussed previously, fits these inclusion criteria well and has been used and validated in other competitive events including those of muscular strength (11). We do, however, believe that future studies should examine handicapping by height given our observations regarding the reluctance of some women to be weighed. "

Here you go .... Close but my numbers from Oct to Jan were skewed low and almost have two lines of best fit:

2008 -  Farly flat  and 1/09 to Present has almost all the increase from approx AG % 48 to 60.

Its usually about now that La Brat comes on and calls us DORKS!   Like someone working in a Lab has room to talk

Well I broke the 60 Percent mark on the age Grade by running 5 mile in 37:09 and new PR and 60.76 AG %

I know not a big deal to some but in less than 18 months to go from zero to "Local Class" I will take it.  And about right as been hitting a few 2nd/3rd places in small local races prabbaly cracked top 7 -8 out of 35 - 40 runners in AG (still waiting for results).

I ran this race last year on a really hot humid day and limped in with 45:54 ... So by almost a 9 minute imrovement in 1 year.  Now my line to compare is much steeper than previous LTC and also the Line of Best Fit.  Next two races (8/16 - 10 miler and 9/13 - Half) are repeats and hopefully can keep the ball rolling on the longer distances. 

Other thing I like is 4 out of last 5 races have been between 59.21 and 60.76 (Lone outlyer was an really tough course and thought the hill cost me about 2 minutes overall).