Coincidences: Your best ones (Read 454 times)

gracerunner

Yesterday, I was talking to a client about Roy Orbison, and specifically about how the riff of Pretty Woman underscores what the guy is doing in the song. When I got in my car, Pretty Woman was on the radio. A few weeks ago, while doing the commute, I was yearning for and thinking about Chinese food, and at that very moment a car passed and the license plate registration was CHINESE. That's just a few. What are some of your best coincidences?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was driving to pick up my race packet an hour away and a car nearly identical to mine (same make, model, year, color...but with a few cosmetic extras) and a running related plate (I think it was longrnr or runlong or something like that) passed me. We waved at each other and I was wondering if he noticed my "who fartlek'd" and runner girl stickers on my Mazda.... k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

When I was homeless and sleeping on the streets years ago (I was 16), I was starving and walking through a market with my boyfriend. There on the ground in front of us we found a five pound note. It was enough to buy us dinner so we were very happy. Just as we were leaving the market we found another on the ground. I couldn't believe it. Two finds of money immediately after each other. What made this incredible however is whilst walking to the beer shop to buy a celebratory round, the man in front of us dropped 240 pounds on the ground from a rolled up newspaper. I was in complete shock. I will never forget picking up that money and running to the toilets to count it. It remains one of the most amazing coincidences of my life. Amusingly later that day we were walking past a rubbish dump and placed strategically on top of a large heap of trash was a suitcase. Not discarded like the other rubbish - but stood up and waiting. Robert looked at me - I looked at Robert and we both ran to the suitcase, fully expecting it to be completely stuffed with cash. It was empty. The two hundred and fifty pounds however bought us food and happiness for a few days. Now, don't cry EnduranceMan. It would be wasted emotion Wink
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Now, don't cry EnduranceMan. It would be wasted emotion Wink
          *chokes*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

gracerunner

When I was homeless and sleeping on the streets years ago (I was 16), I was starving and walking through a market with my boyfriend. There on the ground in front of us we found a five pound note. It was enough to buy us dinner so we were very happy. Just as we were leaving the market we found another on the ground. I couldn't believe it. Two finds of money immediately after each other. What made this incredible however is whilst walking to the beer shop to buy a celebratory round, the man in front of us dropped 240 pounds on the ground from a rolled up newspaper. I was in complete shock. I will never forget picking up that money and running to the toilets to count it. It remains one of the most amazing coincidences of my life. Amusingly later that day we were walking past a rubbish dump and placed strategically on top of a large heap of trash was a suitcase. Not discarded like the other rubbish - but stood up and waiting. Robert looked at me - I looked at Robert and we both ran to the suitcase, fully expecting it to be completely stuffed with cash. It was empty. The two hundred and fifty pounds however bought us food and happiness for a few days. Now, don't cry EnduranceMan. It would be wasted emotion Wink
            250 pounds would buy you a lot in the USA right now. Great story. Reminds me of the time 30 years ago, in college, when I was a bit short on the rent. My girl and I needed 200.00, which was a lot then. We didn't tell anyone, and had just a few days. For the fun of it, we decided to see if we could materialize it. So, we sat down on a couch, closed our eyes and imagined the 200.00 in our hands, counting it out, feeeling it, smelling it, etc.After ten minutes, we started laughing and stopped. The next morning there was a knock at the door. Some man neither of us knew was standing there. He said "This is for you." and handed us an envelope and walked away. I opened the envelope, and there was 200.00 in there! Like I said, we both never told anyone, and we didn't know the guy. I chalk it up to the visualization. Whatever the great computer in the sky is that brings probable events into being, whatever it is, it materialized a very improbable one. A coincidence of the highest order. Since then I've used the visualization thing on occasion for fun and healing (the body responds to intense healthy pictures in the mind, painted with feelings of joy and exhilaration). How it works, I don't know. Just does. One might call it "inducing coincidence." Maybe we are like web browsers, surfing infinite probable events in our personal worlds, at any given point any one of them can become what we call real. Perhaps with some mind energy we can make something that is not so probable, real.
              The two hundred and fifty pounds however bought us food and happiness for a few days. Now, don't cry EnduranceMan. It would be wasted emotion Wink
              When "Running, it's like chocolate" hits the best seller list, you'll have to return to the market and "accidentally" drop 250 pounds.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.