Garmin 410 Discontinued - Reason? (Read 451 times)

I just read on the Garmin website that the Garmin 410 has been discontinued, and no other watches in the 400 series are being offered.

Does anyone know the reason why?  I have one and my wife has one, so I'm especially curious.

Thanks.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Maybe because the touch bezel control is the worst user interface control ever? I have a 405 and bought it knowing that it was an issue, so I'm allowed to say that. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TakeAHike

I am not surprised that they killed it. I have a 405 and I don't mind the bezel.  it generally works fine for me, but most people hate it.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Maybe because the touch bezel control is the worst user interface control ever?

+1 My wife has this watch, I hate that miserable piece of wompus.  This morning after her run she had to have our daughter change the mode because she is one of those weird runners that sweats and the stupid thing will not work if you hand is wet.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

joescott

Sometimes you just gotta put the older products out to pasture.... It's that simple, really.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

My hunch was the unpopular bezel.  I have both the 405 and 410 and managed to live with the aggravation of each, which have their own "feels."  I tried setting the 410 once before a rainy 8K, and it was impossible to do with wet fingers.  I usually set it while my fingers are still dry, lock the bezel, then hit the start button when I'm ready to begin.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a 610 to use for my running (I don't cycle or swim), but was wondering if there might be any other new products coming to replace the 410.

Huh, interesting.  I have the 410 and the only time the bezel is an issue for me is if it gets bumped and changes to a different screen.  That can be annoying.  No big deal.  It was given to me as a gift; otherwise, I would have been happy with the 210.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

I just bought a refurbished 410 on eBay directly from Garmin with a warranty, knowing that it was a dying breed.  I love it for the price I paid and don't mind the touch bezel at all.  I guess it all just depends on your expectations.

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

I had a 405, and used it for 1,000+ miles of running.  I then "upgraded" to a 410, when my wife purchased a 410 for her running (it was a good price). The bezel on it has a different feel and is even touchier than the 405, though the upgrade model was supposed to be easier to use.  I kept my 410 so I could get used to using it, and to be better able to help my wife with hers.

I might sell them on EBay -- they work well, once the bezel is set and locked.  Setting or changing the bezel however, can be a hassle, especially if a person's hands are wet or it is very cold.

zonykel

It's old and the bezel sucks. They had been off loading it on woot, amazon, etc. with various specials. There are better products out there.

I just read on the Garmin website that the Garmin 410 has been discontinued, and no other watches in the 400 series are being offered.

Does anyone know the reason why?  I have one and my wife has one, so I'm especially curious.

Thanks.

JLongRC

The 405CX is going for 159.99 w/ HRM on Amazon right now.  Pretty nice price and I might have to deal with the agitation to get the features and price (and HRM!) to get the discount.  I don't anticipate needing the bezel while running, so I don't think I'd care that I had to lock it.

Strict WTF adherent

The bezel is great if you don't:

-sweat

-wear thicker gloves

-run in the dark (can't lock the bezel if you need it for illumination)

-wear long sleeves

-want to use more than one screen

-want to change any settings

Have they started putting power buttons back on the newer models? That's a real dealbreaker for me.

"The bezel is great if you don't:

-sweat

-wear thicker gloves

-wear long sleeves

-want to change any settings"

Actually you can turn on the illumination, lock the bezel, and it will stay illuminated for the duration of the run.

Still, all the other things you mentioned are accurate, and are a pain.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The bezel is great if you don't:

-sweat

-wear thicker gloves

-wear long sleeves

-want to change any settings

Have they started putting power buttons back on the newer models? That's a real dealbreaker for me.

Even with all these negatives it's still a decent GPS watch if you can get it at a reasonable price. It has a lot of nice functionality. That doesn't mean I haven't wanted to smash mine in frustration on occasion.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

SheCan

I got that watch for Christmas and hated it, so I sent it back after messing with it for a week.  The thing I liked about the 305, was that it was simple.  I didn't use most of its features, but I didn't have trouble figuring out how to use the ones I wanted.  Just because I'm a runner doesn't mean I want  complicated tech toys.  Time, distance.  That's all i need.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson