What to do at stoplights /crosswalks??? (Read 762 times)

What's a stoplight?

#artbydmcbride

{{{small hick town dweller Chuck}}}

Runners run

{{{small hick town dweller Chuck}}}

I do know what a stop sign is-must be something similar.

#artbydmcbride

Big grin

Runners run

I do know what a stop sign is-must be something similar.

They are. Both are decorations to make the street look interesting. Neither have any impact on the flow of traffic…at least in MA.

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bobruns

When running in the early morning -- look around.

If no cars coming then continue running.

If one car coming, wait without pushing button, allow car through intersection, proceed on run without slowing down other cars by making them wait through a "WALK - DON'T WALK" cycle.

If multiple cars coming, push button, wait (without jogging in place) for pedestrian crosswalk sign. Then it's the drivers who look pissed.

When running on busy streets at well travelled time of day, push button, wait for walk sign. I don't stop my watch and I don't worry about the short delay.

I get particularly annoyed by people who push the crossing request button and then jaywalk without waiting for the crossing permission, so when the little green man does appear then the person is long gone but we all have to wait for the cycle anyway.

OMG!  This is me all over!  All of it!  Weird...Shocked

Maggie & Molly

+1

Also, being a Brit I have to deal with many, many roundabouts (our name for traffic circles at least in most parts of the country). They can be good and bad. If it's busy then most of the time a driver will let you cross.

we call them rotaries in my area and I can not imagine trying to run on one.  cars coming and going from everywhere.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
                  Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Don't call me Buttercup!

I stop my watch--I'm interested in how long I was running, not how long I was gone. I don't jog in place. I just stand there until I see an opportunity to go.

I experienced an awkward moment once at a stoplight when a jogger got there a half second before me (we were coming from opposite directions but both waiting to cross in the same direction).  Before he saw me, he started jogging in place--and not just any jogging in place, like a really exaggerated  jazzercise jogging in place. When I got there and just stopped, it became really weird. He had a moment when he sort of glanced at me and I could tell he thought about stopping but then he didn't and he had missed his window. It would have been more awkward to stop now versus just keeping up the bouncy jazzercise until the light changed. FINALLY the light turned and I took off. I think we were both relieved to put the whole thing behind us.

Remember:

Oh, this cracked me up.  I saw a young girl the other day who was waiting for a light to change, and she was running in tiny circles on the corner.  I wanted to say something, but she would have thought I was some crazy old lady.  But seriously.  Just stop.  It's ok.  Just stop.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Oh roo roooo!

Our city is making a big move away from signals toward traffic circles.  Drivers were skeptical at first, but are finding that traffic is moving better as a result.  I am not so sure they are safer for pedestrians, though.

I agree w/this.  They are starting to show up w/alarming frequency in my neck of the woods also.  So far there are none on any of my running routes but definitely in places where I bike, and I have to admit, I'm NOT all that excited about trying to bike thru these when there is any volume of traffic.  Seems a lot of folks don't understand how they work and thus I'm not sure they are any safer even for cars.  However, a friend pointed out that collisions in traffic circles at least would occur at slower speeds than a "running a stop sign/red light"-type accident--guess that would help some?  Still don't like the damn things.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, this cracked me up.  I saw a young girl the other day who was waiting for a light to change, and she was running in tiny circles on the corner.  I wanted to say something, but she would have thought I was some crazy old lady.  But seriously.  Just stop.  It's ok.  Just stop.

Why stop?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Arimathea

Tessa

I agree w/this.  They are starting to show up w/alarming frequency in my neck of the woods also.  So far there are none on any of my running routes but definitely in places where I bike, and I have to admit, I'm NOT all that excited about trying to bike thru these when there is any volume of traffic.  Seems a lot of folks don't understand how they work and thus I'm not sure they are any safer even for cars.  However, a friend pointed out that collisions in traffic circles at least would occur at slower speeds than a "running a stop sign/red light"-type accident--guess that would help some?  Still don't like the damn things.

Really? In our area people seem to take roundabouts as a personal challenge to see how fast they can drive in a little circle. One friend said her DH likes to go fast enough that the fuel gauge in his car swings down to "empty" because of how much the car is leaning due to centrifugal (centripetal?) force.

And those annoy me because unless there are pedestrian crossing request lights then you are at the mercy of cars stopping at the crosswalk to let you cross. While stopping is OK for cars entering the roundabout, I wonder how many collisions occur because the driver of a car stopped when exiting the roundabout to allow a pedestrian through the crosswalk and the driver behind didn't notice and ploughed into the back of the first car.

RunninOnion

If I don't catch the light, I run on the road or sidewalk in the direction of traffic.

Once the light turns green, the traffic drives past me, and, when the road is clear, I cross the road.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jfa

My method is to stop, look away from traffic and looked bored. Wait for the green.

As for the traffic circles, they used to be quite popular and efficient in our state of NJ.

Now,sadly, they are doing away with most of them because people aren't smart enough to navigate through them.