How to train after first two 5K races? (Read 1032 times)

Terrier

I am a 58 year old male who just started running the end of June.  I entered my first 5K race on August 1st and finished in 30:44.  I entered my second 5K race August 29th and finished in 27:43 (I ran faster and the course was less hilly).  I run 3-4 times per week in training and run 5K each time.  My training pace varies between 9:15 and 9:45 per mile.

My question is:  What is the next step in training to continue to better my 5K times?  Should I try to increase the length of my runs or just stick with 5K and try to decrease the time?

I would add a day to consistently run 4-5 days a week. Once yo add as many days as you can start increasing 2 of your runs in length. 1 longrun of about 6-7 miles and a midweek 4-5 miles should do you good. Once you are getting around 25 miles a week worry more about speed. Make sure your body is comfortable at 25ish first. Until then doing some fartleks would help prepare your body for racing faster.
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There is a forum here entitled Improving Your 5K, that might be of interest to you.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

marktman has it right on.  as you concentrate on slowly (I mean slowly) increasing your consistency & mileage, your 5k times will come down.  Your improvement in the 2 races very remarkable. If you continue to train exactly as you are now your times may continue to come down but at some point will reach plateau, unless you do progressive overloading, meaning increasing your training.  Don't worry about increasing your training pace yet as Marktman stated. I/m 53 (54 in 3 weeks) & was exactly where you are now year ago.  check out my log. good luck, have fun!!
          Terrier

Thanks for the comments!  I wasn't aware of the 5K forum and now am reading it.  I will concentrate on increasing distance over time in my training.  I'm not looking to win anything...I just would like to continue to improve  my times and try a 10K sometime in the future.  Hey, I'm just happy that I am able to run!
            JimR

I am a 58 year old male who just started running the end of June.  I entered my first 5K race on August 1st and finished in 30:44.  I entered my second 5K race August 29th and finished in 27:43 (I ran faster and the course was less hilly).  I run 3-4 times per week in training and run 5K each time.  My training pace varies between 9:15 and 9:45 per mile.

My question is:  What is the next step in training to continue to better my 5K times?  Should I try to increase the length of my runs or just stick with 5K and try to decrease the time?

Right now, don't change anything.  You gained 3 mins on your 5k time so you're gaining and that's what matters.  Depending on how fit you were to start, it can take a while to get your body accustomed to running.  Inactive guys like me, I spent a year just getting used to it and didn't run a 5k until I'd been running a full year.  It took me 2 years to get out of the overuse/injury phase.  Just keep it easy, doing what you can handle, and stay consistent for a while.