Yonkers Marathon (Read 728 times)

I'm looking for a Fall marathon, and Yonkers appears to be the only one within an hour of my house that isn't on a Tuesday.

But sheesh.

I am not trying to avoid giant hills, but this seems to be the race's most salient feature. 

Thoughts?

additional: looking to chop a bunch off my previous marathon time.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Among the oldest marathons in the country.  Don't hate the hills.

if you will travel an extra hour [110 miles total] might I suggest Steamtown Marathon in Scranton, PA

some pretty decent downhills in the first half of the race with some brutal late race hills

smallish marathon but really well organized with great fan support throughout the race.  [Best part is that you hang out in a warm high school gym until 5 minutes before gun time ... cheerleaders / marching band / real cannon fire to start the race -- what else do you need?]

PS - -nothing against the folks in Yonkers ... my Mom and Dad grew up there

MTA -- correct links

2012= under-goaled

Out there, There's a world outside of Yonkers.
          “I used to be a runner. Uh-huh. Not a marathoner. A runner. Marathons are bullshit. They’re all hype. Some official picks a random day, and rain or cold, you’re out there pounding the pavement alongside 50,000 other dumbfucks. No. There’s some things it’s better to do all by yourself.” Augustus Hill, Oz
          mikeymike

A bigger problem for me would be only 126 finishers.  I like small marathons, but sheesh.  That's like doing a solo training run for 26.2 miles at race pace.

Hartford is a nice sized marathon.  I didn't love the course but it's not bad.  And it's not terribly far for you.

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

Out there, There's a world outside of Yonkers.

I was embarrassed to admit this was my first thought as well. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

But, Trent, these are not rolling hills through palatial land of monkeys.

Thanks for the Steamtown info., slimbo; first time to learn that this race had any hills of note.

Yeah, mikey, the proximity might seal the deal, and if I act by May 14 it will cost me 25 bucks. 

Prince of Fatness

if you will travel an extra hour [110 miles total] might I suggest Steamtown Marathon in Scranton, PA

some pretty decent downhills in the first half of the race with some brutal late race hills

Those hills at the end are only bad because they are at the end of the marathon.  I actually welcomed them because they gave my quads a well needed break.  Nader, Steamtown is a real nice race.  Fast course, well managed, good crowd support, just the right size (about 2000 runners IIRC).

Of course if you are looking to get geezered you could drive a little further to Corning, NY (Wineglass).  That's where I'll be.

Not at it at all. 

Wineglass is on my shortlist and it would be a lot of fun to run with you.  In light of one of my recent posts, though, I'd expect you'd be a tad concerned about me chasing you around the Northeast and signing up for races right after you did. 

A Saucy Wench

I just wanted to than Nader and Onionbag personally for the fact that I had that damn song stuck in my head my entire run today. 

And particularly that the line "Way out there beyond this hick town Barnaby, there's a slick town Barnaby" looped constantly and I could hear the voice of the kid who sang that when we did the show in highschool crack on "slick town"  every time

Thank you. 

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ennay, are you drunk?

I just wanted to than Nader and Onionbag personally for the fact that I had that damn song stuck in my head my entire run today. 

And particularly that the line "Way out there beyond this hick town Barnaby, there's a slick town Barnaby" looped constantly and I could hear the voice of the kid who sang that when we did the show in highschool crack on "slick town"  every time

Thank you. 

No problem. If it makes you feel any better, I've been ending everyday conversation sentences with, "...Barnabyyyyy."  E.g., "We need to be there by noon...Barnabyyyy."

“I used to be a runner. Uh-huh. Not a marathoner. A runner. Marathons are bullshit. They’re all hype. Some official picks a random day, and rain or cold, you’re out there pounding the pavement alongside 50,000 other dumbfucks. No. There’s some things it’s better to do all by yourself.” Augustus Hill, Oz

A Saucy Wench

Ennay, are you drunk?

No, but perhaps drinking, Barnabyyyyy, will drive the song out of my head, Barnabyyyyyyy

beat

Break on through

I like the Hartford Marathon too.  There's an out and back section where you can see who's ahead of you and who's behind you.  There's a lot of flat running in it.  There are a few moderate hills toward the end.  I'll probably run it this year.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."