"reduce" weeks (not taper weeks) (Read 110 times)

VGD

I'm a Grand Grand Masters competitive runner.  I'm not terribly fast (HM PR 1:44) but I train hard and, at least B.C., raced 5-10x/yr.  Given my age (62), my primary training goal is to not break.  So, I dial in a "reduce" week every 4-5 weeks, with a mileage reduction and one less running day per week.  I usually run 5 days/wk. but I only do 4 on "reduce" weeks.

So, the query is this:  How much should mileage drop during a "reduce" week?  I've read numerous books and studies, and this issue is not well addressed.  My prior paradigm was 25%.  I'm trying 33% at present.  But, I can't find any evidence-based guidance regarding this matter.

To be clear, this is distinct from taper weeks, which I do in the usual manner, e.g. ca. 1/3 the last week before a HM, and somewhat less prior to 5k or 10k racing.  

What say you?

Thanks

zebano

I personally play that by ear, but 20% has usually been my number. I am unaware of any real science behind this unfortunately.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I am a huge believer in reduction weeks and take them at least once every 4 weeks.

You're right that there is no science behind it. I wouldn't really overthink it. Sometimes, it's 75% for me. Often, it's more like 50-60%. I usually take these when I have something in life get in the way that would make it difficult to get the run in. If it happens to be 50% reduction, so be it.

If you're really going to try follow something though, I think 25%-33% is exactly the right number. My reduction weeks look likes yours: I run one to two days less and also remove a long run from the schedule.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

I would guess that the reduction should be more when you've been increasing volume or intensity.

This is forefront in my mind as I return to running after a long hiatus.  I have been stationary biking every day for years but I am now returning to the road.  Your paradigm seems like good guidance but I'm going to be extra cautious.  My cardio fitness far exceeds my running fitness.  Like you, I would be very happy to not break.

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

Still kicking

I'm your age, and also a competitive local age grouper. I don't over think it, and play it by feel, but in general terms, at 3 runs a week, a normal week would be 30 total miles, and a cut back week would be 20 total miles. That may not sound like much, but I cross train a lot, lift, bike over 200 mpw, and swim over 15 miles a week. This works well for not breaking, because when something gets tender, I can back off the running, and pick up some more cycling or swimming. I recently ran a 1:35 half, and a 43:38 10K, so it's all working out pretty good.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

zebano

I'm your age, and also a competitive local age grouper. I don't over think it, and play it by feel, but in general terms, at 3 runs a week, a normal week would be 30 total miles, and a cut back week would be 20 total miles. That may not sound like much, but I cross train a lot, lift, bike over 200 mpw, and swim over 15 miles a week. This works well for not breaking, because when something gets tender, I can back off the running, and pick up some more cycling or swimming. I recently ran a 1:35 half, and a 43:38 10K, so it's all working out pretty good.

That's a pretty crazy amount of swimming!! Wow. How long does 2 miles of swimming take you? Actually, how many hours a week are you dedicating to fitness? That looks like a bare minimum 7 hours swimming, 10 hours cycling,  and ~4.5 hours running? Over 20 hours/week is super impressive at any age.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Still kicking

That's a pretty crazy amount of swimming!! Wow. How long does 2 miles of swimming take you? Actually, how many hours a week are you dedicating to fitness? That looks like a bare minimum 7 hours swimming, 10 hours cycling,  and ~4.5 hours running? Over 20 hours/week is super impressive at any age.

Thanks! I'm retired, so yes, I spend a lot of time dedicated to fitness. Usually an average of about 25-28 hours a week, unless I'm tapering for a race. On a good day, I'll swim 2 miles in an hour. I shoot for swimming 10K 3 times a week, and usually complete 10K in just over 3 hours, so over 9 hours a week swimming. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis, and my rheumatologist said use it or loose it. I also have some immune system issues, and the more I workout, the less these things effect me. It's pretty good motivation. I'm looking to BQ again (#13) this fall, and run my 4th Ironman next Spring.

zebano

Thanks! I'm retired, so yes, I spend a lot of time dedicated to fitness. Usually an average of about 25-28 hours a week, unless I'm tapering for a race. On a good day, I'll swim 2 miles in an hour. I shoot for swimming 10K 3 times a week, and usually complete 10K in just over 3 hours, so over 9 hours a week swimming. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis, and my rheumatologist said use it or loose it. I also have some immune system issues, and the more I workout, the less these things effect me. It's pretty good motivation. I'm looking to BQ again (#13) this fall, and run my 4th Ironman next Spring.

That's great. I hope to be that fit when I'm your age. Have you had any success in qualifying for Kona? I know that's crazy difficult, but it looks like you're putting in the effort. It's a wonderful how many people find running fixes their ailments both physical and mental. Endorphins and exercise are amazing.

Still kicking

Thanks!!!

No luck on a KQ yet! The best I've done in a big ironman event, was 18th place in my age group, and that's nowhere near where I need to be, to get to Kona. Maybe someday! Every age group, the competition gets thinner... so if I stick with it long enough

The physical thing is huge for me. One of the reasons I do this, was from a heath scare 14 years ago. One of the biggest motivations, is to prove doctors wrong.

VGD

Thanks, all.  Appreciate the validation.

Dean from KS:  You are faster than I am.  I ran one marathon and was 7 min. off BQ.  I'll stick to HM.  And, my PR is about 9 min. slower than yours.  Maybe I need to swim more...seems to work for you.

VGD

Thanks!!!

No luck on a KQ yet! The best I've done in a big ironman event, was 18th place in my age group, and that's nowhere near where I need to be, to get to Kona. Maybe someday! Every age group, the competition gets thinner... so if I stick with it long enough

The physical thing is huge for me. One of the reasons I do this, was from a heath scare 14 years ago. One of the biggest motivations, is to prove doctors wrong.

I'm a doc.  We are never wrong.

[To be clear: tongue in cheek.  I wish...]

Still kicking

I'm a doc.  We are never wrong.

[To be clear: tongue in cheek.  I wish...]

Be careful ... I've outlived several doctors who told me doom and gloom stuff.

Good post