Running Boston over and over... (Read 138 times)

DaWeekendWarrior

Da Weekend Warrior

I have never run Boston, but have been there as a spectator and cheer squad. Aside from bragging rights, what is the real thrill about running Boston year after year, especially if you travel from far away? It's the same course with a lot of the same people.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've never run it either, but I HAVE run the same marathon 4 times. For some it could just be a good time to train and run a marathon. Not much goes on between January and April. For others it's just their annual vacation like "we're taking our family trip to Mexico" except it is Boston. Some want to get a better time on that particular course because it is the oldest/most well known.  I think there are 6 or 7 people who have run literally every single California International Marathon. Why run the same marathon on the same course for 30+ years? Why not? It's a marathon.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have never run Boston, but have been there as a spectator and cheer squad. Aside from bragging rights, what is the real thrill about running Boston year after year, especially if you travel from far away? It's the same course with a lot of the same people.

The spectators/cheer squads are one big reason to return!

CalBears

I would say, the "bragging rights" that you refer to was the last thing on my mind. Boston is the World Major marathon, historical race, great crowd support, also you have to qualify to run it - that adds to the whole picture. So, yes, you have to run this race at least once - to avoid asking questions like this. And after you ran it once, it's up to you - if you want to run it again or not. I would say - it's totally subjective if it worth running year after year. There is no right answer for it if that's what you are looking for 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Why have Christmas every year?

I've only run it once, but I felt it was one thing in life that completely lived up to the hype. It's the greatest experience I've ever had as a runner - not just the race itself, but the whole weekend. The city becomes all about runners and the race. You need to be a crazy obsessed runner just to get there, so you're surrounded by 30,000 other like-minded folks (easily recognizable in their jackets), from all over the country and the world, who just want to talk about running and racing. I'm 3000 miles away, but I have a number of local running friends who never miss one.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

you're surrounded by 30,000 other like-minded folks (easily recognizable in their jackets), from all over the country and the world, who just want to talk about running and racing. 

I think this is ultimately why I'm not that into Boston.  Because if ALL someone wants to talk about is running and racing, I'm probably not going to get along with them.

[and yes, I know I have a running log, a running blog, and an instagram and also participate on multiple running fora....]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Julia1971

After I ran a marathon, I swore I would never run Boston because of all the hype.  Eight unicorn medals later, I get it.  For me, it's fun being a part of the biggest racing event of the year for recreational runners.  However, I have also run the New York City Marathon 7 times and if I had to choose between them, it would be NYCM for me hands down mostly because I like visiting New York more than Boston and although most runners disagree, I find the course is easier.  (FWIW, I have also run several local races multiple times.  I think my record is a local turkey trot that I've done 15 times since 2004.)

Mr MattM

To me, qualifying for Boston was far more rewarding than actually running it.  Of course, I ran it in 2007 when they almost cancelled it due to weather.  There was freezing rain and 20-30mph headwinds.

I'm was never interested in running it again.

be curious; not judgmental

Feeling the growl again

I've done Boston four times.  It is its own unique event, and not just a race, in the way many other big city marathons are not.  Each of the four was its own experience and the crowd support is unique and intimate until the very late stages of the race when the course widens.

I could not say the same, for example, for Chicago.  Also done it a bunch of times.  I wasn't in shape for a fast time the last time I registered so I just didn't go.  It's just a race on a fast course.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

When I ran my first Boston, there wasn't really another marathon with anywhere near the glamour or reputation, e.g. no NYC, no Chicago, no Marine Corps, etc. You had to go international to find another with the same level.  Then there are the spectators and the Wellesley College corridor.  But it has changed so much, that even if I could qualify now (which is highly doubtful), I don't think I would run it again. Three times was fine and being able to say it was also my first marathon still gives it special meaning.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Anonymous Guest

Why have Christmas every year?

I've only run it once, but I felt it was one thing in life that completely lived up to the hype. It's the greatest experience I've ever had as a runner - not just the race itself, but the whole weekend. The city becomes all about runners and the race. You need to be a crazy obsessed runner just to get there, so you're surrounded by 30,000 other like-minded folks (easily recognizable in their jackets), from all over the country and the world, who just want to talk about running and racing. I'm 3000 miles away, but I have a number of local running friends who never miss one.

I have described the whole Boston weekend as "like Christmas for runners." I've run it 4 times, would have been more but I had a work conflict a few years in a row. The whole weekend, seeing running friends from all over the country, it all just makes my heart happy. I've yet to have good running weather (2021 was probably the best weather I've run it in), but each race has special memories that will still make me smile when I think back on it (hearing Meb won when I was at mile 8 in 2014, or seeing a friend I hadn't seen in years and didn't know would be there waiting and cheering towards the end in that miserable weather in 2018). If my qualifying time is good enough, I'll be back in 2023.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Boston - NYCM

This would be a really hard choice for me. I loved them both.  That said, DW keeps saying there are other good races out there, so I haven't been back to either one.

rlopez

Do Western States next.

Julia1971

This would be a really hard choice for me. I loved them both.  That said, DW keeps saying there are other good races out there, so I haven't been back to either one.

FWIW, of the marathons I've done, I'd do Eugene again.  It was a PITA to get to but I loved it for similar reasons that some have mentioned re Boston.  It was pretty cool running around Track Town USA.

CalBears

Do Western States next.

Yeah, right - it might take you probably more than 10 years to win the lottery. So, it's not enough just to want it, the problem is to get in... 5 years in lottery by now - no luck.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile