Foot Injury (Read 599 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Ok Folks, I'm not very educated in human anatomy and certainly not in the complexities of the foot, therefore would be gateful for any advice you experts may have. I have developed some pain/ discomfort in my foot around the joint between my big toe and the metatarsil. It started towards the end of a long run but was only mildly uncomfortable at this stage and I felt very little after the run was over. I completely forgot about this until my run the next day when the pain came back within minutes of starting my run. The pain increased as I continued but was not unbearable and I thought I could run it off. At about 3miles on a downhill section the pain increased with every step and I thought I would have to stop. I slowed down considerable which eased the pain and continued at a slow pace, running on grass where possible. This seemed to help. The pain decreased to mild discomfort. I completed my run but felt this discomfort for the rest of the evening. Today I feel some pain when i move my toes but the main problem is when I put weight on the joint. This causes some considerable discomfort although I can still walk. Could this simply be bruising from pounding the roads or a possible stress fracture waiting to get worse. I intend to do no running today but hope to be back at it tomorrow as I have a race next Wednesday. Has anybody any thoughts or advice.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I feel pain in that area sometimes, but it's due to a serious bunion issue on that foot (rare in men, I hear.) I would think it would be shoe or biomechanics-related if not overtraining. All I can think of is the obvious ones, like if you've been running in new shoes, more hills, increased speedwork, new cross-training, etc. Have you changed anything in your workouts in the weeks leading up to the pain? I don't see any huge red flags in your log. Sorry I can't help further. Foot pain is rotten!
      ~ Fly ~
      Only as much as I dream can I be.
      veggies on the run
      Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Have you changed anything in your workouts in the weeks leading up to the pain? I don't see any huge red flags in your log.
        No major changes in training just a few extra miles but trying to keep it a bit slower too. Will do another easy tomorrow and assess it again. If still there I suppose rest is the only answer. Thanks

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Maybe you have Gout http://arthritis.about.com/cs/goutdiet/a/goutpurines.htm If you are dehydrated and eat alot of protein, you may have a buildup of uric acid. Drink plenty of water and ease up on the protein rich foods.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Maybe you have Gout .
            I Hope Not! The symptoms dont seem to point in that direction but i will keep an eye on it. The pain has eased considerably today after a days rest. Will try an easy run tonight. Thanks