New Streak (Read 75 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run streak

Current Streak

80 days (361.2 mi)

7/23/2022 - Today
    2 mo 18 d

1 day past my longest streak of 1 mile a day. Someone I know has 56+ years.  My goal is to make it to Sunday. State marathon #50 in NM.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Streak PRs are good too! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jeffdonahue

Agreed - I'll take any PR I can get.  And with streaks as soon as you hit your PR, you get a new one every day.

Streak PRs are good too! Smile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Someone I know has 56+ years. 

This seems totally unhealthy to me. Unless they say that they "ran" if they literally jog from their couch to the bathroom when they are ill. That is not a run streak to me. And if they're out running when sick, bad.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This seems totally unhealthy to me. Unless they say that they "ran" if they literally jog from their couch to the bathroom when they are ill. That is not a run streak to me. And if they're out running when sick, bad.

It's pretty hard to make a case that that person is unhealthy.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Psychologically, it's actually a very easy case. There are plenty of runners who are psychologically unwell and have "addiction" issues with running. Maybe it's a "healthy" outlet for other things going on, but someone who has a 56 year running streak of at least 1 mile a day (assuming that's the case) is not well. They almost certainly went running when they absolutely should not have been. I respect people who try to get out there every single day. I could see someone doing it for months at a time. Hell, maybe even a few years. But 56 years? That is not a healthy relationship with this sport. This person hasn't been sick once in 56 years that requires you just to rest? I highly, highly doubt that. Not to mention all the other reasons in life one may need a day off.

I was talking to my PT on Monday and she said she has a client who now "hates" running but he keeps doing it every day because it's "part of his identity." I told her I'm not surprised at all that there are people like that with long distance running.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

https://smile.amazon.com/Few-Degrees-Hell-Badwater-Ultramarathon/dp/1782550038/ref=sr_1_3?crid=D87RI1M5AMBL&keywords=scott+ludwig&qid=1666219830&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjY5IiwicXNhIjoiMS45MiIsInFzcCI6IjEuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=scott+lud%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-3

This is one of the books he has written. He donates the proceeds to charity. His race accomplishments range from Boston to Badwater to Comrades and everything in between. Unhealthy obsession. maybe. Motivated -- Determined--Driven to finish most likely.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Running Problem

Problem Child

Run streak

Current Streak

80 days (361.2 mi)

7/23/2022 - Today
                  2 mo 18 d

1 day past my longest streak of 1 mile a day. Someone I know has 56+ years.  My goal is to make it to Sunday. State marathon #50 in NM.

It becomes 100 realy quick. Some of the best runs mentally are ones you don’t want to do.  It helps the next day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

jeffdonahue

Agreed - getting out the door every day is the hard part, but I personally think that mile on my rest days helps with recovery and keeps me motivated.  And as someone who is not quite up to 56 years but is tapping on the door of my 15 year mark (5,408 days as of this morning) for my streak, I personally don't think I have an unhealthy relationship with the sport.

It becomes 100 realy quick. Some of the best runs mentally are ones you don’t want to do.  It helps the next day.

kcam

I used to think streaking was not a good idea but at 61 I run most every day and have had my longest streak ever this year, which is not very long compared to many (117 days).  I had no problem doing it, even when I felt under the weather.   A mile jog is a 'rest' day, I will also count that mile if it was done on a treadmill.  Not unhealthy.  What stopped my 117 day streak was a vacation to Spain.  Airport and all.  It's all good.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

3100 days. I'm probably psychologically unwell.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For you guys who are over 5 years: you've never had an illness which requires rest? What would you do if you got a symptomatic case of COVID with breathing issues (not hospitalized though). Or the flu? I guess if you're lucky enough to have avoided that for a few years, it makes sense. Nobody avoids that for decades. Otherwise yes the idea of running every day is healthy. It gives a good reason to get out the door on days you don't want to. I was more pointing out that someone with a 50 year streak either has the strongest immune system in the entire world, or definitely has went running when they shouldn't have.

kcam

Even if he did run 'when he shouldn't have', apparently it didn't hurt as much as one might think it would.  He's on a 50+ year streak.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

He definitely went walking when he should not have. He did a mile after having a mild heart attack.

For you guys who are over 5 years: you've never had an illness which requires rest? What would you do if you got a symptomatic case of COVID with breathing issues (not hospitalized though). Or the flu? I guess if you're lucky enough to have avoided that for a few years, it makes sense. Nobody avoids that for decades. Otherwise yes the idea of running every day is healthy. It gives a good reason to get out the door on days you don't want to. I was more pointing out that someone with a 50 year streak either has the strongest immune system in the entire world, or definitely has went running when they shouldn't have.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter