what's your opinion on private maps (Read 2740 times)

vicentefrijole

Well, first off, if putting in the feature means that you'll set every map & the default to private, I'd just as soon you did neither. I'm willing to bet that 95% or more of maps would be end up private if that were the default (most people never mess with the defaults). Then I'd never be able to find anything at all.
    I can very much sympathize with those worried about security (for the record, I'm male and I recently made all the maps from my home private), but I think the problem stated above is also legitimate... I hate to see the community feel of this site be diminished by the reality that there are nasty people in the world. How about making the default be that all maps are public but also make it a default that when you try to save a map that is public a warning opens asking "are you sure you want this map to be public"? Of course, it would be best if there was also a box to check saying "don't warn me again" for us frequent users who won't need the reminder. Is that possible or would that be a programming night-mare? Just an idea, but if it's not feasible then nevermind. Big grin
    StevieStoat

Meh! I don't care either way just roll the thing out. I have public maps all over the place and private ones from my home and those of my friends. Anyone who doesn't want their maps public can change them if they want to. If they can't be bothered to update them then they can't be too bothered about the privacy issue. The more public maps we have the better for reasons already stated by others.

Now that was a bath...

How about making the default be that all maps are public but also make it a default that when you try to save a map that is public a warning opens asking "are you sure you want this map to be public"? Of course, it would be best if there was also a box to check saying "don't warn me again" for us frequent users who won't need the reminder. Is that possible or would that be a programming night-mare? Just an idea, but if it's not feasible then nevermind. Big grin
        Hallelujah. Sounds peachy peachy perfect and just about idiot proof to me. Claire xxx Modified for a blasphemous mispelling of the Lord's salutation. Choice Bro.
      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          Having just found the thread a bit late, I'm totally with Vicentfrijole. However maybe there is a way to set some default privacy settings when u sign up to RA and this would take account of those users who are keen to keep their identities and whereabouts private. Personally it doesn't concern me and it would be a shame if it spoils the "sharing of routes" philosophy of the site. Charlie
          Finbarr

There are actually users who don't check in every week. Shocked Shocking, I know! How anyone could live without their RA addiction is beyond me... And there are users who haven't checked in for months and who may or may not ever check in again. Poor souls. If we go this route, what do we do about them?
            Well, is there private messaging on this site? If so, I suppose that eric could send a private message alert to every user about the change, right before and right after he's made it, as a supplement. However, I think the message on the front page a week before and for a week after is plenty notice.
              Yes, abbaroodle, but I KNOW where you live... Evil grin And where you run ...
              I would be honored to have you stalk me on a run - that would mean for once I was running faster than you. Unless of course I started first and you were about to catch up. Speaking of which, does this mean you can map the run for me? I am in withdrawal! No idea where I went right verses left and no map-geek along to help out, and I think I might go nuts if I havent already! I am already amazed you could identify despite all the reflective gear getting in the way of the photo, so maybe you can talk to Betsy and can contine to wow me!
              JakeKnight

I went running this morning and I'm a little concerned. Maybe somebody can help. Still no stalkers. Not one. Can you believe it? What am I doing wrong? I was careful to wait until a little later, so the sun was up for maximum visibility. Then I hung around my house - you know, where all my maps start - for several minutes, pretending to play with my watch. So that I'd be easier to spot. I even stretched a lot and made strange grunting noises. I even went out without my usual hat and sunglasses. Which hurt my eyes, 'cause it was pretty sunny. But I didn't want to confuse my stalker. I can see how shades might be a disguise, and that's not very considerate. Then I ran really slowly. In a circle. Of course, I always run slow, but that's beside the point. A couple times I jumped up and down and waved my arms, just trying to be helpful.I even wore my Monkeython shirt, which has my name on it. But nothing. No luck. Not one stalker. *Sigh* I was kinda hoping for Jessica Alba. But to tell you the truth, at this point I'd probably settle for Abe Vigoda. Or Rosie O'Donnell. Am I doing something wrong? Are my maps not public or something? Modified to add: hey, if anyone knows whether Abe Vigoda is still alive, let me know. If he's dead, I can cross him off my potential stalkers list. Which would open up a space, for anyone interested ... just sayin'.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not one'.
                  Just because you could not see me does not mean I was not there. Evil grin
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Enough, already, Jake. We all know that you think that people who are afraid of being stalked are silly weenies. You don't need to continue to make fun of this viewpoint which I don't expect you to ever understand.

Roads were made for journeys...

JakeKnight

Just because you could not see me does not mean I was not there. Evil grin
                      Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant stalkers that could actually keep up with me. Surprised

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

Hey Jake - I stalked your maps today - does that count. I wanted to see what sort of elevations other's are running. I was particularly interested in looking for 'girl maps from new runners' - but most of the chica's are hiding theirs. I ended up having to use your maps and used a visualisation tecnique that imagined you with the empathy belly on instead. I too would embrace a stalker. Might help keep me safe running through Otahuhu having an extra pair of eyes. What is it that Public Enemy says 'Can I get a witness'. Claire xxx Modified because 'instead' should never be used more than once in a sentence! Ma haere tatou ki waho ki te takaro tamariki ma.
                      • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                      • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                        eric :)

Hi all, Thanks for providing the feedbacks. I've given this matter a lot of thought. The matter is not as simple as setting all maps to be private. Obviously, the maps are a major component of this site. If I set all maps to be private, then that effectively removes map sharing because as some of you pointed out, that most people don't even know they can customize much of their settings. Part of the success of this site relies on attracting new users, and having a large number of searchable maps is one of the hooks. The major concern is that the maps will promote stalking because the stalker would consult the maps to find out where you run. While it is possible, it is rather unlikely. The maps do not contain any personal information of the creator other than the starting and ending locations. You cannot find out who made that map (except if you published it in a group). A stalker will need to know your address in order to find your running routes. And if he knows your address, then he probably knows a lot more than you're comfortable with. Of all the suggestions for remedying the problem, I like vincentefrijole's the best, mostly because it warns the user, while letting map sharing to continue. I will add that some time in the future. In the meanwhile, this is holding back the release of other features. So, I'm planning to upload all completed new features this Sunday. If you have maps to hide, this is your chance. If you have any concerns, you're welcome to put them here, or send them to me if you want to be kept confidential. eric Smile
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Thank you, Eric, for taking the time to get user feedback on this issue. You have always been very respectful of others opinions and feelings, and it is appreciated. Smile ps - great site! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Ditto Wingz's comments - I feel that you have a good solution here and thank you for asking for 'user ideas'. Equally ditto for such a great site. Happy Holidays, Neil G UK

Running ... just keep running!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A lot of folks have told me that they love this new way of finding routes!! Kudos Eric : )