Running aggravates acid reflux? (Read 642 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Have you heard of this?  I have a colleague who stopped running a couple of months ago, saying that running was too violent and was causing his acid reflux.  Do you have any experience in this area or suggestions for him?  Yes, he has been to the doctor.

For any runs of 45 minutes or longer, i really have to throw down a Zantac.  Otherwise, it can get kind of painful.  The Zantac works though. 

HappyFeat

I've had a couple bouts of gastritis during which running set off really bad reflux. I took Pepcid before running and that worked for me until my stomach healed.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I've had a couple bouts of gastritis during which running set off really bad reflux. I took Pepcid before running and that worked for me until my stomach healed.

Is he eating and drinking fluids before his runs? I stopped drinking until 1 hour after eating. No more reflux. Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks, I'll share what you all have said.

HappyFeat

Is he eating and drinking fluids before his runs? I stopped drinking until 1 hour after eating. No more reflux. Big grin

Good point: wine before running leads to reflux while running for sure!Roll eyes Haven't done that in quite a while now.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.