Marathons & toenails (Read 754 times)

Momruns

Clowning around Hi Everyone, I am new to this site & love what I am reading. Tons of information. Clearly I have work to do updating my log & hopefully will get to that soon. My question relates to toenails (nice). Do you always lose them when you run marathons? I ran Honolulu in Dec & lost 1 toenail off each foot. I had run several 20+ LSD runs leading up to the marathon & had no toe issues. Run that extra 6 miles & run into problems. They aren't painful or anything, just ugly. (I'm glad its winter & I am not having to wear sandals). Honolulu was wet, wet, wet & I developed huge blisters on the toes so perhaps that is the cause? Just wondering if I need shoes with a bigger toe box or is toe nail loss/blisters an inevitable with marathons. Thanks for any advice, Smile
    higa

Hi there I have only ever had one toenail turn black and it was when I did my only marathon (so far). Like you I had done the miles prior so maybe it's just what happens when you put that extra bit of effort in. Since then i have bought shoes half a size bigger. I am training for my second mara in June so it will be interesting to see. I think black teonails are a bit of a 'rite of passage' so wear them proudly..............er yuck.......... something only runners could relate to i'm sure!
        Toenails are overrated.
          I've only run one marathon and I didn't lose a toenail. I'm wondering if your shoes are too tight. I buy my running shoes a half size bigger than my normal shoes to account for the swelling that occurs when running longer distances. I'm sure that is what saved my toenails. I've run 4 halfs and 1 marathon and even in the halfs I didn't lose a nail or even get a black one.
          Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have never lost a toe nail. Not even darkened one. Make sure your toe box in your shoes is adequate. And please, have the decency to post pictures of your damaged toes Big grin

The Greatest of All Time

I have never had toenail problems. Just keep them trimmed and make sure your shoes are not too small. I know some ultramarathoners have them surgically removed though.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I lost TWO big toenails when I stupidly hiked up a big mountain with three women who are triathletes. What was I thinking? Confused My hiking boots weren't laced tightly enough, so on the way down my toes kept jamming into the end. A hard way to learn my lesson. It took over 4 months for them to blacken and fall off.

One of my tonails blackened a bit after my ultramarathon, but it didn't fall off. The blood stain just gradually grew towards the end of the foot and after a few months was gone. I did lose a toenail once after I dropped a toilet on my foot, though.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have never lost a toe nail.
                    Me neither - but one did turn black after my ultra last year. It didn't fall off though.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Big Chicken!

Thanks for the image Trent! I nearly lost my breakfast on that one. Seriously gross! Dead
                      Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks for the image Trent! I nearly lost my breakfast on that one. Seriously gross! Dead
                        Big grin Cool